Nanjing far driver controllers

I bough ND966680 just now. I want to use serial communication adapter. Do you know if it is the same PC wire adapter sabvoton uses? Can I use the same adapter for this controller? I got Far drive BL adapter but want to prepare wired alternative.

senlin,
Nicely drilled and angles much better. Do you know if flanges are more prone to break after such improvement?

Attachments

• ee.jpg
    ee.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 503
Dui said:
dominik h said:
I had the same problem after updating the firmware of my ND96850, after a few tries with disconnecting the Fardriver from the battery , I could get the bluetooth to work again.

I just gave it a try and it didn't work for me, I guess we might be both having a different problem: I can actually see the bluetooth device in the app and I can connect to it. But then the bluetooth dongle doesn't manage to communicate with the controller, so I'm connected but I receive no frame. I bet it's something stupid like a different baud raute or something like that, but I have no way to modify that setting directly on the dongle itself.
Anyway I'll just wait for a new "old version" dongle to arrive in the mail, hopefully this weekend.

j bjork said:
You dont need a special dongle to connect to the computer either, I use just some simple usb to rx/tx adapter.

I don't have one, unfortunately. I didn't think it'd worth it because many people said the computer programming software sucked. :lol:

j bjork said:
I dont know if this is the version:

The "ND961800_63_ARA05" ?

Mine originally said ND841800_63_HRA25
The name of the new firmware file they sent me was ND841800_63_ARG15

No idea what this means. Originally my controller is supposed to be a track version, so it should be able to get to 1300A battery instead of only 800. I'll see if I'm still capable of inputing 1300 after the update or if the new firmware is maybe for a regular version of the controller.

@other people, if you could post your model code here and state your controller model and max current it might help understand if there is a pattern we could understand in this code, thanks

j bjork said:
I think all I had to do was change the speed to the same as the computer program says in the driver settings.

That would seem to work well with the baud rate theory, interesting.
Maybe they set it a bit higher on newer versions to get better refresh rates in the app? Can't see any good reason really.
It's a bit annoying because whoever has a recent bluetooth dongle and experiences unsolvable throttle lag would then need to get his hands on an older one to get the firmware fix. Or use the cable. Kinda lame but at least if it works many of us could probably live with it just fine .

I got in September 22 from fardriver

Attachments

• IMG_20230117_103419795.jpg
    IMG_20230117_103419795.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 512
Irling said:

It seems like I cant quote the pictures, but you can find them on page 9.

DEHiCKA said:
lord_gammon said:
Attached is a hi-res photograph of the inside of Fardriver 72330.
Looking forward to programming it properly one day.

Can you read the microcontroller markings or it is brushed off?
If it is an ST or one of it's clones, it can be VESCed :flame:
Even if it's flash programming is blocked, it can be replaced with a fresh one with the same package real easy.

EDIT: It is LQFP48 and VESC uses STM32F4 in LQFP64 package, so no straightforward conversion

This sure is interesting. Do you mean that you could basically load the vesc firmware and it should just work?
Bummer, I just saw the EDIT :(

minde28383 said:
I bough ND966680 just now. I want to use serial communication adapter. Do you know if it is the same PC wire adapter sabvoton uses? Can I use the same adapter for this controller? I got Far drive BL adapter but want to prepare wired alternative.

senlin,
Nicely drilled and angles much better. Do you know if flanges are more prone to break after such improvement?

As you can see I wasn't thinking when I drilled and drilled more holes than I needed. I don't think it will weaken the flange. From what I have read, radial spokes are hardest on flanges as they are pulling straight out, so less aluminum is supporting them.

With these little 16inch motorcycle rims and hub motors from China, most are radial laced and people seem to have no trouble with them. But in my mind, with all the torque these motors produce, I prefer cross spokes. The Grin website has the best spoke calculator ever, and a YouTube video. It will calculate paired spokes perfectly, and pairing the spokes is the only way to get a cross pattern with these little rims.

i have spoked serveral 16'' with 205. Spokes angles gets extreme 65 which is less than 70 and start to torture bent spoke and nipple , nipple itself. With that I used 93mm spokes. What spokes length you used when paired? Must be few mil longer. I know it differs according rim erd. I like paired holes approach. Will try it on my own hub. once it's time to respoke. I'll need longer spokes once spoked with paired way. How many millimetres apart your paired holes?
mm.png
I bench tested my new nd96680. App is some abbreviation collection... Beeping is annoying inside, till i found why it beeps, it was in learning mode. App with more options compared with Sabvoton not so basic, not so user friendly. And I found it to be set for mid high rpm 4 poles motor.

AdR said:
@ebike11. Got it in email from seller. Will try to upload if forum permit. It's PC .exe, not apk
i was able to download thanks,i dont see the gauges on the screen like app just a blank graph chart and blank settings on top of page.do i need to click something?
or it might show up when i plug to controller?
thanks again for download

minde28383 said:
i have spoked serveral 16'' with 205. Spokes angles gets extreme 65 which is less than 70 and start to torture bent spoke and nipple , nipple itself. With that I used 93mm spokes. What spokes length you used when paired? Must be few mil longer. I know it differs according rim erd. I like paired holes approach. Will try it on my own hub. once it's time to respoke. I'll need longer spokes once spoked with paired way. How many millimetres apart your paired holes?
mm.png
I bench tested my new nd96680. App is some abbreviation collection... Beeping is annoying inside, till i found why it beeps, it was in learning mode. App with more options compared with Sabvoton not so basic, not so user friendly. And I found it to be set for mid high rpm 4 poles motor.

I had a look at my notes (remember my hub motor is a bit different dimensions to a 205). I think my spokes ended up being 89mm, if they were not paired they would have been 95mm I think. As you said the angle gets too acute on these small rims, so I re did the spoke calculator and without pairing the spoke angle was 64.8 degrees. With pairing it was 69.8 degrees. So there was no bending of the spokes or nipples with the pairing. I drilled my extra holes exactly half way between the existing holes. Did not realize until after that I only had to drill every second gap.

As you will have read from other users, the fardriver controllers are powerful and work well, the app however is another story. Luckily there are members here that have figured out a lot of the parameters on the app etc. Definitely not so user friendly and quite a few values can not be changed.

Here is a link to the spoke calculator
https://ebikes.ca/tools/spoke-calc.html?hub=cust_d232_s46_o1.25_n36_l135_h3_p20&pair=true&rim=cust_dia507_e391_lo3.5_ro3.5_w64

At the bottom of the calculator it has a box for cross pattern. You will see you can do 1 or 1 alt. Make sure you pick the one that gives the less acute spoke angle. In my first build my 9c hub already had paired holes but I picked the wrong paired pattern which made the spoke angle worse. The spokes have a bend on those wheels which eventually I will respoke the correct way.

senlin said:
I drilled my extra holes exactly half way between the existing holes. Did not realize until after that I only had to drill every second gap.

understood, drilled extra holes exactly half way between the existing holes.
i think i read you got newest 212 hubs. These hubs are 2051kw8kg successor. Did you have some thread where you have info about them. From what i found... some time ago when they open line for manufacturing 212 people where sceptical about this new version 212 comparing them with predecesor 2051kw8kg. What can you say about its performance, weight ratio and power. I know all can be seen in graphs and digits but still, you actually have tested and use them so it's way better than performance graphs especially if you had them something to compare with.

senlin said:
As you will have read from other users, the fardriver controllers are powerful and work well, the app however is another story. Luckily there are members here that have figured out a lot of the parameters on the app etc. Definitely not so user friendly and quite a few values can not be changed.

*that's 100% precise.

My notices so far about far drive controllers in general, myself i got 96680.

*yesterday i read this thread and bits of other threads about far drive controller. Motor max temp value cant be changed (150/160celcius and fixed). Max volts (important to protection especially if regen is used) can be changed through nominal volts field. My apk is 2.1.7
*unofficial repository is somewhere in thread.
*aps manuals, now also in my repository if somebody needs will share.
*manual is disaster, half CN, half EN
*if you expect easy friendly app run run run away from it but if like wigle wigle then it's for you. Worse than sabvoton but way with more features, not so bad as Votol but not far from it.
*controller has no variable regen but has regular (throttle release and button pressed) regen initiation. Somebody complained that regen stop function at 10kmh not sure with what motor and at what rpm though, and it needs to be found by more sources.
*to pass motor test you have to keep throttle initiated and get throttle error and then you get OK for test pass (different than on ther controllers)
*BL dongle disconnects randomly
*where to see in apk what firmware version I have? Is there a point to update to newest if all works well.
*does different firmware versions ties somehow to different motor or it only changes few controller settings which can be changed by hand. I see my controller to be set for high rpm 4 pole motor. I changed poles but other settings left for high rpm motor. Auto setup does not change these settings.
*also read in this thread that apk has limited functioning time so it means that if current apk works for you it will till certain date.

minde28383 said:
senlin said:
I drilled my extra holes exactly half way between the existing holes. Did not realize until after that I only had to drill every second gap.

understood, drilled extra holes exactly half way between the existing holes.
i think i read you got newest 212 hubs. These hubs are 2051kw8kg successor. Did you have some thread where you have info about them. From what i found... some time ago when they open line for manufacturing 212 people where sceptical about this new version 212 comparing them with predecesor 2051kw8kg. What can you say about its performance, weight ratio and power. I know all can be seen in graphs and digits but still, you actually have tested and use them so it's way better than performance graphs especially if you had them something to compare with.

senlin said:

*that's 100% precise.

My notices so far about far drive controllers in general, myself i got 96680.

*yesterday i read this thread and bits of other threads about far drive controller. Motor max temp value cant be changed (150/160celcius and fixed). Max volts (important to protection especially if regen is used) can be changed through nominal volts field. My apk is 2.1.7
*unofficial repository is somewhere in thread.
*aps manuals, now also in my repository if somebody needs will share.
*manual is disaster, half CN, half EN
*if you expect easy friendly app run run run away from it but if like wigle wigle then it's for you. Worse than sabvoton but way with more features, not so bad as Votol but not far from it.
*controller has no variable regen but has regular (throttle release and button pressed) regen initiation. Somebody complained that regen stop function at 10kmh not sure with what motor and at what rpm though, and it needs to be found by more sources.
*to pass motor test you have to keep throttle initiated and get throttle error and then you get OK for test pass (different than on ther controllers)
*BL dongle disconnects randomly
*where to see in apk what firmware version I have? Is there a point to update to newest if all works well.
*does different firmware versions ties somehow to different motor or it only changes few controller settings which can be changed by hand. I see my controller to be set for high rpm 4 pole motor. I changed poles but other settings left for high rpm motor. Auto setup does not change these settings.
*also read in this thread that apk has limited functioning time so it means that if current apk works for you it will till certain date.

I haven't got a 212 motor, mine is a bhm3000, from Alibaba, very similar specs to a mxus 3k. I also would like to be able to know what firmware my controller has. I downloaded the latest app update 2.1.7 like yours, but still don't have all the settings other people have. I am a bit reluctant to update the firmware incase I brick the controller. I mainly wanted to update firmware to see if I can set the speed on my display easier but I've ordered a gps sender/reciever and I'll see if that works. I don't have any power lag issues like some early controllers had, infact I just love the power delivery of the fardriver so I'm going to leave the firmware alone.

I'm not sure if different firmware ties to different motors, it would be nice to know.

Mine shows 4 poles as well, I'm not sure changing that even does anything.

My Regen does cut off at low speeds, I think it is under a certain rpm. I Don't find it an issue because the speed is so low when it happens.

Let us know how you like the fardriver after you've been on some test runs and how it compares to your previous controllers.

Does anyone have any information regarding the fardriver nd84530 please? What is the max current and max phase? I bought one, the controller says 350A current, 530A phase. Newly on the siaecosys website, they indicate 250A current, 530A phase.

should i create separate topic for this... My controller works, i can set it to work for different motors but it's far away from understanding all settings. my apk 2.1.7 I have got a lot things to clarify on my far drive apk application. For example I do not find what following settings change/set:

-Parameters:
PhsaeExchange
Weak Character

-Functions:
Boost Pin:11-Invalid (how to active boost GND?)
Cruise Pin: ((how to active boost GND?)
Switch voltage
Empty run
Slow down
Repair pin
Puse Re
Charge pin

-Protect:
ThrottleLost
BattCoeff
BackP_Time
BlockTime
ReleaseToSeat
TurtleSpeedCurrCoeff
LowVol Way
ParkTime
IntRes

And these are just a few settings I can't find description, documentation, meaning, function.

Does 'Cruise' Blue/Red XH 17 function activation needs to be GND or what?
Blank Brown ('BOOST') 6 can be assigned to some unoccupied PIN or is it assigned already to Pin6 by default? Pin6 can to be GND to activa Boots? So is it BOOST or Blank... Or is it suggestion that this is Blank pin and can be assigned BOOST. i don't get it.

I've measuring voltage between Cruise (Blue/Red) and Blank (Brown) wires and I see 2.8v.

Attachments

• cruise blank (boost).jpg
    cruise blank (boost).jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 359
I have a 96850 that I just got wired up last night. It is driving a QS138 v3. I've read this whole thread (skimmed it) but have two questions I'd like to confirm:
1. Temp Sensor - I had to change to "none" to get it to run. Is this still the only option? Would be nice to be able to utilize, if possible.
2. Pole pairs - It shows 4 in the app, but motor spec is 5. I tried to change, but it will not accept in the app. If it doesn't hurt anything, I'm not worried about it.

azeus17 said:
:
..temp Sensor - I had to change to "none" to get it to run.
...It shows 4 in the app, but motor spec is 5. I tried to change..

What apk version you have?

minde28383 said:
What apk version you have?

I'm not 100% sure what that is...does this screenshot help?
ATTACH]

Azeus17,
Looks like new version but not sure yet.
fyi, ussually each apk has version in apk description which accessable through phones software. Easy way is to press and hold for few seconds icon to call menu where you press again on 'informaion' and there you see program version.

Can someone tell me what type of regenerative breaking the newer models of the far drivers have?
Not sure if it can be activated through a momentary button or throttle? I found a random wiring diagram and it looks like it has NO connection for the regenerative braking so I’m thinking maybe it’s slip regen, when you let off the throttle then regen engages?

j bjork said:
Is there a new model? My a little under one year old 961800 has brake input that can be used for regen with a switch of some kind, or you can use slip regen. Not both :?
I think you can use another input instead of the brake if you want, but it is still just on/off.

OK, that’s good to know, at least we can activate the regen through a button. Just wish we could use variable regen with a throttle.

The newer far drivers “ supposedly” have slightly different software. I was chatting with SIAECOSYS on AliExpress and they said the older models had issues with the software. I don’t think they actually changed the model number but I think they did tweak the throttle response and a couple of smaller issues with the software. They didn’t go in great detail, but they did say the throttle response is improved. This was a few months back, so not sure when the actual change was made.

larsb said:
What’s slip regen, never heard that before?

From my understanding, Slip regen is basically when you let off the throttle and the regen is activated.

minde28383 said:
No variable throttle regen

:cry:

Regarding this term 'slip regen' as you say - throttle release regen. Folks who use this term probably found it in cn/en manual.
Term slip usually is associated with ABS (automobile industry) functions. And also in nucular (ru controller) probably there is slippage function which decreased power when detects wheel slip so you dont loose so much traction due wheel starting to rotate on slippery surface, so you see.. slip should be about other functions, not throttle release and regen initiation.

hi guys i need some help please
I have a far driver controller and an 11kw mid motor
but it does not go beyond 115 km per hour
Is it possible to make it go at least 130 km per hour?
Thank you

Depends, you voltage max, how many cells you got, field weakening activated?
Gear ratios print screen show.
Tell something about your setup, wheels, rpm, controller, settings, amps.

Back