Need some help/advice about electric support

dutchlincoln

100 W
Hello,
I'm lurking the forum now for a while, mainly about electric scooters, controllers, etcetera.

Now, a few weeks ago, i electrified my kid's Trike.
This is a large trike with 7 gears, and all kinds of optional accesoires to be able to ride it with more kids, transport sand etcetera.
I took the front wheel out, and made a electric hub motor in it from a electric scooter.
The thing goes approx. 10 Mph now.

Now, there are some local's that had a bad youth, never got a dime to scratch their buttoc's, and have complained to the local cops that the thing is electric.

Local laws however, state that when it can't run by its own, only when pedaling with, it is legal to have it electric.

Sooo, now i'm looking for a way to make it pedal assisted.

Is there anyone that can inform me a bit on how to accomplish this?
What parts do i need, where can i get them, how does it work, etcetera?
Maybe some informative topics?
I'm not aware of the exact names and brands for it, so a "search" is a bit hard.

Thanks ahead!

A pedelec device is what you need. It's a sensor that detects crank movement. And possibly a different controller, since a scooter controller would not likely need a pedelec feature.

Thank god I live in New Mexico. Kids have an e trike that goes 10 mph! Danger! Danger!

hi, thanks for the advice, i'll do a search.

10mph ain't that fast.
When they are both on it, they'll go faster, also due the 7 gears it's equipped with.
Problem was tha there are always 4+ kids on it, with a trailer behind it.
My kids are 11y.o and 12y.o., so not the little youngsters.
Also, i disallowed them to go out on busy roads, just only in town, nearby. Not more than 1-2 miles from home.

They're just lucky i'm an electronics freak :D :D

ps. Anyone knows if the Lyen controllers support the "pedelec" function?

Hi there,

You should be able to connect a PAS sensor, that detects the "pedelec" function. Why don't you PM Lyen himself?
see: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19587
You can even program a maximum speed in there, given the proper wheel circumference.

KR,
Henk

dutchlincoln said:
hi, thanks for the advice, i'll do a search.

10mph ain't that fast.
When they are both on it, they'll go faster, also due the 7 gears it's equipped with.
Problem was tha there are always 4+ kids on it, with a trailer behind it.
My kids are 11y.o and 12y.o., so not the little youngsters.
Also, i disallowed them to go out on busy roads, just only in town, nearby. Not more than 1-2 miles from home.

They're just lucky i'm an electronics freak :D :D

ps. Anyone knows if the Lyen controllers support the "pedelec" function?

hi there, thanks for the reply.
Can you tell me where "PAS" stands for?

I was thinking about the Lyen, and edited my post. I won't bother Lyen for such questions, i'd rather do that when i'm ready to buy one from him.

This sensor, will it function as an add-on, or will it go in series with a throttle, or does it come instead of the throttle?
i saw a 'tube movie where this sensor was demonstrated, with a throttle, and the throttle being pulled off and replaced by this sensor, and a black plate being "swiped" fast over this sensor, demonstrating acceleration from thecontroller. (hope i'm explaining clearly what i saw :) ) Will this be the Pedelec sensor? Is the PAS the same as pedelec?

Thanks.

Yeah, pas and pedelec sensor are pretty much the same. I may be wrong, but I think in some places in europe they are not allowed a throttle at all. It's just pedal to get power.

I didn't mean you were endangering your kids with 10 mph. Just that your police calling neighbor is full of crap for thinking it was dangerous. He should thank god I wasn't his neighbor when I was ten. By then I'd moved on from merely setting stuff on fire to real explosions.

BTW... Where do you live? I can't believe someone would complain... MOST areas don't care if it's pedal assisted or not... If it's electric and can't go faster than 15 or 20mph most authorities don't really care.

I live in the netherlands.
My little town is very reformed (jesus, bla, don't know exactly what kind) and i don't fit in, becouse i don't go to church, and i own 3 lincoln continentals.
I respect them in their belief, don't make excess noise on sunday's etcetera, i respect their choices. Unfortunately, it isn't like that both ways...
So, there are a few that complain whenever they can.

Few years ago i even had the local police paying me a visit, because i had 3 big cars, and this wasn't allowed. Luckily i know the law quite well, and told them i was allowed to have 3 parked next to eachoter. It is illegal to park them within 150feet of eachother if i had MORE than 3.... Back they went, with the tails between their legs...

sooooo, about the electric skelter....
Do i need to say more.. ? :D :D

Back