Nervagon's Directionless, and Doomed Build

IMG_6910.jpeg
IMG_6911.jpeg
IMG_6912.jpeg

Hiplok D1000. Once I saw that they now have a pouch for this insane lock that would fit my bike perfectly, I knew I had to have it.

Last edited:
Check out the Litelok X1, that's what I've got for my fatbike, little larger internal space and similar toughness ratings:

I think I'm entitled to hijack my own thread by adding my meat-sleeve rebuild to my bike build thread. Your bike is an extension of your body, and since this is a fitness oriented build rather than a throttle jockey bike... I think it's appropriate to report on fitness progress/goals.

I'm now 1 week into eating just carnivore. Down 9lbs at 231lbs.
CarnivoreWeek1.jpg

I'm 48 years old, and I look it and feel it. I have a big frame that allows me to pack on extra fat and carry it around before realizing how serious the situation is getting. Why have I chosen carnivore? I've had severe IBS my whole life, and as I get older, my list of safe foods has been getting smaller and smaller, and now to the point that I might as well just go carnivore. Also, I've been keto before for extended periods, so I know I have the willpower, and already know the results.

The final straw was a gluten-free, vegan pizza that I ordered about a week and a half ago that resulted in one of my worst, most painful episodes ever. It was probably cross-contamination, but I'm just tired of playing detective whenever this happens. I'm now gluten-free, dairy-free, alcohol-free, and low-fodmap everything. That is no longer enough. I add this backstory to head off any healthy, happy plant lovers before they are tempted throw the FDA food triangle at me. This is often a diet of last resort for people with chronic digestion issues and chronic pain/conditions. It is safe, even as a permanent lifestyle, but it is not for everyone.

Now, a week in, my guts are healing and I'm feeling good. My final kick-over into full-ketosis was on day 5. I know this from monitoring my heart rate, and paying attention to cardio performance and energy levels. Once your glucose and glycogen stores are completely gone, your metabolism needs to go out back and fire up the old generators. This transition isn't seamless, and the lights dim briefly in the process.

And on very low carb diets, since your body requires some glucose to function, you begin metabolizing your own glucose from the protein and fat you consume. This process is called gluconeogenesis. The main energy source will be ketones, but the brain, some other organs and tissue need glucose... and it's really cool that we can make our own. It's just really amazing that our bodies are designed to fully function, and function well in a complete absence of carbs. But my goal isn't a complete absence, just under 20g of carbs per day.

And how do carnivores poop without fiber? It's the fat/protein ratio and your hydration levels that control your bowls. You do not need ANY plant fiber to stay regular and healthy. Those of us with IBS already know this, as fiber is our enemy. We always strive for less, not more.

Anyway, off to a good start on carnivore, feeling good, ready to hit 200lbs by mid summer... or maybe die... but I'll post milestones of my success/demise.

Bruh!!! your story is awesome!

I used to have type 2 diabetes, severe and constant depression, low testosterone, brain fog, antibiotic resistance, a sinus infection every 3 months and taking escalating, and more dangerous antibiotics by the year to cure, climaxing at physical damage from high dose ciprofloxacin.

My health was gradually falling apart at the seams starting my in my late 20's and i thought i only had a few years left in my late 30's.

I've been on keto/carnivore and taking some combination of vitamins/herbs since 2013. I have no diagnosable medical conditions today that don't involve the slight deformity of my leg bones.

I have seen a doctor once since, and it was from a sinus infection ( 2019 ) from a period of intense pollution before i discovered what kind of air filters combat pollution in my area effectively. The weakest antibiotic worked in 2 days. I used to require 2-3 rounds.

Getting off the carbs was a huge brain upgrade. I felt like i gained 20 IQ, within a year i was programming at a much higher level. I went from a dead end job for a decade to the manager of a company in some years after this monumental physical-mental upgrade. Today i'm in my early 40's and run two companies and serve as a part time CTO/CISO for 3 others. I'm doing shit that the chronically ill version of me could have never dreamed of.

This experience with keto turned me into a health hacker, in general. I'll spare you the jump into the other rabbit holes, but just wanted to say, good luck on your path and i hope the changes you made bear the same kind of fruit mine did.

86969857_595151967701783_8057533435285078016_n.jpg

@neptronix it's great to hear that you've conquered your suffering by doing your own experimentation and listening to your body. There are just some of us that are underserved and neglected due to the gaps in conventional wisdom, and conventional medicine. An IBS diagnosis is basically, "welcome to your shitty life, sorry, there's no cure, and I have no idea how to help you besides telling you to avoid this huge list of foods."

I have read that carnivore can put type 2 diabetes in full remission with no need for insulin, drugs, assuming you don't fall off the wagon.

I can report that I do feel good. I have good mental clarity, consistent energy, I'm sleeping well, and aches and pains are going away. I am planning on going back on full-spectrum CBD oil, and I have more on the way. That is probably cheating. But how can I cut out the most excellent plant of them all?

Thanks for the encouragement! Your experiences are inspiring, so thanks for sharing.

Yes, there's no good cure for IBS. The only thing you can do, is be very nice to your internals.

Most carnivores report massive improvements to digestive health. Our digestive hardware shares more in common with carnivores than omnivores. The hardware we have for digesting plant material is a speck compared to that of a herbivore. This would suggest that our native diet as a species is meat based.

So by switching to this diet, your digestion is now on easy mode.

1714199472707.png

Yes, my T2D is in complete remission and the eye damage also healed.
The one time i saw a doctor in the last decade, i had my blood sugar tested. It was 80, above ideal. I don't have a blood sugar problem, because i'm not putting any sugar in, go figure!

The interesting thing about my body now, is if i go on a carb binge, even without any pure sugar in my diet, i gain weight extremely rapidly. I don't get high blood sugar, i just balloon. So the problem is still there for me, my body still over-reacts, and i will never be able to eat like a normal person, but i'm totally fine with that.

CBD is not cheating, but it is attacking a symptom. The good part is that it doesn't come with any negatives, like NSAIDs do ( NSAIDs stop the regeneration process and therefore lead to accelerated loss of cartilage long term, there's studies showing this! )

I find Boswelia is more effective than CBD on arthritis pain and also promotes joint lubrication. Of every natural pain reducer i've played with, it's the most potent. The red sappy kind is the most potent, the powdered stuff tends to be subpar.

But some people have a fantastic response to CBD, i don't, but certain strains of cannabis do wonders for my pain.
For arthritis i recommend taking collagen and glucosamine because these not only dull the pain but also promote small amounts of regeneration of cartilage, which itself adds to the pain reduction. They are both effective over a long tim span and not an easy fix. Bicycling at a light-medium intensity also promotes repair by stimulating proteolyglycans to do their thing... that's why it's part of every leg physical therapy regimen includes cycling.

This combination of supplements has been holding me together for 10 years, i have twisted bones and uneven friction on my leg joints so i have uneven wear and lots of inflammation.
However if you go long term on carnivore, you will find that ample cartilage building materials are already in your diet, especially if you consume a little cartilage off the end of a bone or skin. I'm more on the keto side because my body can handle the variety, so i do supplement.

Here's another aside. In research world, they're finding that digestive issues and mental health issues are VERY often interlinked. Some would say the gut is the second brain.

My major depression was mostly cured by keto/carnivore, however, i still somehow had a B vitamin deficiency because my body is bad at converting it ( B Vitamins must go a multi step process to be utilized ).

I have unnamed digestive problems but my dad has severe ones. He has transient psychosis and paranoia which seems to clear up temporarily when taking vitamin B shots. I have a little craziness, and depression slip in if i don't take my specialized B complex that's gone through 2 of the conversion steps for me. Luckily, it's not expensive.

I suspect most mental health issues are an inability to absorb certain vitamins. Someone with IBS probably falls into that category. Crazy inflammation and good nutrient absorption usually aren't happening at the same time.

If you have any inkling of mental issues then once you find the right diet to calm your guts down then you will probably see an improvement in that.

Not to hack your thread, but if you're not familiar with her, Cassandra Peterson has a fascinating account on YouTube of her life as a (now) carnivore; her dad has one as well. I can't relate since my system seems to metabolize carbs well.

Not to hack your thread, but if you're not familiar with her, Cassandra Peterson has a fascinating account on YouTube of her life as a (now) carnivore; her dad has one as well. I can't relate since my system seems to metabolize carbs well.

Thanks for the tip, assuming you mean Mikhaila Peterson, but the Petersons ain’t my scene.

I was going to mention Mikhaila but her dad is controversial and some people could miss her message due to that.

More of a L. Amber O'hearn fan. Easily my second favorite Canadian and probably the most knowledgeable of all the scientific aspects of low/zero carb diets.

IMG_0108.JPG

Last edited:
First milestone already achieved.

I've hit 230lbs today. Down 10lbs total. In rapid weight loss. Will it continue? We shall see over the next week.

Lower gut bloating is improving. Lower back pain is reducing. Energy levels are great. Mental state/wellness is great.

Here's a list of my "cheats" in the first week:

I quit coffee, but I am taking 200mg of caffeine per day via pill form. This is proving to be too much in the absence of carbs. Will cut in half.

I am cooking my eggs with avocado oil.

I tested, and had to eliminate pea protein from my diet because it was causing gut problems. The beauty of carnivore is that it is a elimination diet. You can re-introduce foods one at a time to test. I do not need a plant protein anymore anyway.

The canned tuna I was eating as low calorie snack was in a soy broth! :eek:

I drank unsweetened almond milk during the week to use it up. It's not cheap!

I am taking a vitamin supplement.

To keep things affordable, a main staple is 25/75 frozen beef patties from Aldi. These are 1$ per patty. A higher fat percentage would be ideal. I will look for more beef deals with higher fat content.

Back