Nervagon's Directionless, and Doomed Build

It was chatGPT that recommended me to wait until the CA layer was dry, but tacky and then wet sand… and that was some damn good advice.
If by "wet sand" you mean sand with water-wet sandpaper, the water will cause the CA to cure faster / differently than if it does it at normal rate via humidity in the air and surfaces it's applied to.

Whether that helped your process, I don't know....but the advice itself is generally true for a number of sealant-covered surfaces (but not because the water helps cure them, like it does CA).

IMG_6794.jpeg

Motor is all wired up!

IMG_6791.jpeg

Battery cable is finally routed into the rack bag.

IMG_6790.jpeg

It terminates to an XT90.

IMG_6792.jpeg

At now finally wired up to the 20Ah battery pack.

IMG_6793.jpeg

And it’s alive!

Nice! What's the chemistry and voltage of the 20 A battery? Looks very compact. I'd be curious of the ready to ride bike weight.

IMG_6798.jpeg

There is a single M5 boss on the underside rear of the integrated rack.

IMG_6799.jpeg

This actually perfectly mounts my Portland Design Works Kepler ebike tail light. It is a wired tail lamp, and does not run on high voltage. So I might be wiring in a 12V buck to run the tail light and a USB port off the main battery. Or another option would be a small, dedicated 12v pack for the tail light and accessories. This trunk bag designed by Safariland has plenty of pockets.

IMG_6800.jpeg

The reflective molle web loops at the back of the trunk bag are also great for clip on lights like the niterider vmax. You can never have too many lights.

Did you get the Superhero kit? I thought that is supposed to have a lighting port controlled from panel

I did get the superhero, but didn't get any lights, or a pigtail with the plug. But I just don't see the point in bothering with it. My main battery pack is on the rear rack. So I can run the wire a few inches, or all the way down to the bottom bracket for no real benefit.

IMG_6803.jpeg

I can’t find my throttle, so I ordered this bafang compatible throttle on Amazon. I’ll need to test and see if it works after I go through the initial calibration process.

IMG_6802.jpeg

Front brakes and tire installed. Ended up having to do a quick bleed to top off the Maguras after cutting.

I’m not super confident on the TPU tubes. The stems are so fragile.

IMG_6804.png

Bikee has confirmed that this is the pin out of the throttle HiGo connector. That means bafang BBSXX throttles should be compatible with the Lightest motor kit.

IMG_6805.jpeg

For my spliced/shortened cockpit cable that runs into the downtube, I ended up just doing a double shrink wrap and a handsome braided shrink wrap cable housing. This looks nice. OCD satisfied for now.

It's looking very good!

Just put pedals on, and it spins next?

You know what... yeah, I am very close... do I really just need to slap pedals and a chain back on? I think that's all that stands between the first calibration and test ride.

But I am having some difficulty with the Pirelli TPU tubes. The stems are very wonky. Very tiny barrel for air passage, and pumping them up and checking the pressure has been a pain. I don't want to go tubeless, so I don't want to give up just yet. It has a very short pin. I need a low-profile presta head that can engage the core/pin.

I am actually tempted to drill out these rims to schrader. I really love the universal compatibility, simplicity, and durability of schrader valves. But I doubt that I could find TPU tubes with a schrader valve...

Wait! found it: Pirelli Angel SmarTube X TPU. This is a TPU tube aimed at urban commuters rather than race roadies, and comes with schrader valve options. Hmmm... very tempted to bust out the drill on those rims.

It looks like Pirelli is discontinuing their previous TPU tubes and replacing them with these new upgrades:

Modding presta rims to schrader:

OK, going to drill out these presta WTB rims to take those new Pirelli schrader TPU tubes. Jones Bike uses schrader tubeless valves, so I really can't think of any reason to stick with presta. They made sense on super skinny roadie race rims, but for ebikes and mountain bikes I just don't get it.

IMG_6811.jpeg

Odds and ends while I wait for Bikee to unlock my motor. Pretty happy with this GoPro mount install on the rear of my trunk bag.

IMG_6813.jpeg

The rear panel has a Velcro opening that gives you access to the foam core. I was able to get a sheet of ABS reinforcement and screws/fender washers under the interior liner. Very stiff and strong. Could definitely hang a camera here now, but it will likely be a light.

IMG_6814.jpeg

Stole the NiteRider eMax+ from my cargo bike because it can run directly off the 52V battery without a buck… and it’s crazy bright, and also has its own power button on the housing. Saves me a buck and a switch.

IMG_6845.jpeg

Now that’s more like it! These new TPU tubes from pirelli feel thicker, more rubbery and have hearty schrader valves!

Back