New Bafang Crank-Drives

magdav said:
My main concern is my 10 minute morning downhill commute, which starts on a steep dirt track and ends flat out in city traffic. Given that I can't legally the use motor over 25km/h, is it likely to add resistance when pedaling fast unassisted? Or does the freewheel actions take care of this?

If you set the motor assistance to 25km max and then find you can spin faster than the motor's max rpm at that speed and you are in your top gear you'll encounter no extra resistance. It's just like spinning out with too small a gear. But the 250w/36V only seems capable of around 31km/h on the flat (sans pedaling) anyway so I wouldn't fret to much. I find any faster is dicey in morning traffic anyway.

I think your biggest issue id likely to be the assistance it provides you on your hills. Adelaide is pretty flat and my only 'hills' are a couple of tall bridges which, with full assistance and in top gear (56/11 on 20" wheels) I can leisurely climb at around 17-20km/h no sweat. But it's usually too chilly to sweat in Tassie eh!

Savvas

magdav said:
This thread has made for some great reading, thanks! It looks like we in Tasmania are in for a law change from 200W to 250W 25km/h pedelec so an electric bike is starting to look like a good option. But the few shops still only have rubbish and it makes it hard to actually see any of the options.

From what I've read the Bafang mid drive conversion is nearly ideal for me. My main concern is my 10 minute morning downhill commute, which starts on a steep dirt track and ends flat out in city traffic. Given that I can't legally the use motor over 25km/h, is it likely to add resistance when pedaling fast unassisted? Or does the freewheel actions take care of this? Or is there something else I don't understand?

If it all goes well maybe I'll build something more powerful to get me up the mountain at my back door. Cheers.

The 250w one will get you up the mountain albiet slowly, I have a crank drive with the similar wattage on a dutch style bike and it would do it.
Crank drives are the ideal for a legal ebike in Hobart as they don't cook climbing steep hills.

teslanv said:
Looks like this programming only has options for a maximum speed of 40 km/h. No Unlimited speed option that I can see.

There's a "by displays command" at the beginning of the drop down list. I.e. speed limit set in the display instead of in the controller

EVTodd said:
Rollodo said:
I don't think ES is a place for copyrighted stuff in general.

I agree, That's my point. Didn't you just post the controller software? Maybe I'm missing something.
Technically, I just reposted what Tesla initially posted.

Rollodo said:
EVTodd said:
Rollodo said:
I don't think ES is a place for copyrighted stuff in general.

I agree, That's my point. Didn't you just post the controller software? Maybe I'm missing something.
Technically, I just reposted what Tesla initially posted.

Actually, hoka was the original poster. - I requested the repost, since hoka's file had been taken down.

I can confirm that the software from Hoki has the "by displays command"' to set Unlimited Speed.

If necessary, i'll repost it , just ask.

Cheers.
Noisette

crossbreak said:
not so good to post copyrighted software here.. it's not the pirate bay :? if someone wants it, he/she shall handle it via PM

If it's me you're referring to (but I did explain myself):

my+bad.jpg

crossbreak said:
stop kidding and delete your link https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50104&start=1650#p863955

Looking at the code and libraries it just uses a bunch of open source stuff, so IMHO it should be freely downloadable from sourceforge anyway.

If anyone wants the software and the links disappear just keep an eye on the torrent network over the next couple of days ;)

amigafan2003 said:
crossbreak said:
stop kidding and delete your link https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50104&start=1650#p863955

Looking at the code and libraries it just uses a bunch of open source stuff, so IMHO it should be freely downloadable from sourceforge anyway.

If anyone wants the software and the links disappear just keep an eye on the torrent network over the next couple of days ;)

I personally think all software should be freely downloadable, unfortunately that's not the case. I guess the big question is, does Bafang care? Maybe someone should ask them. It just seems like they were trying pretty hard to keep the software out of end user hands before. Maybe Lectriccyles can comment.

Ok, my last reply regarding this controller software link issue (pretty off-topic to Bafang crank drives, by the way) will be this: I've just searched through the official phpBB as well as ES-specific rules, and there is currently nothing written in regards to the 'copyright', or 'software', or 'pirate' (aside from the generic phpBB stuff). Make of that what you will, but I cannot say with a clear conscience that I've violated anything. In my opinion, if Bafang doesn't want their software to be released (not sure why, since it'll benefit everyone, including Bafang themselves), then they should not provide the means of acquiring that software in the first place. Even more off-topic, but still remotely relevant: Mercedes Benz doesn't want their cars to be poked around with by their very owners - they service these vehicles behind closed doors. It's something I completely against and is a reason why I'll never buy MB, but you can rest assured that nobody in their customer base is getting their precious custom software, as they don't have the very means to. Yes, they can still poke around all they want, but their warranty will be long void once they do. It's in ES nature to void warranties.

Screenshots to the pages I've researched are attached.

Attachments

• es.jpg
    es.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 2,602
I hear you and agree Rollodo. But I have to say I would be very bummed out if some A#$hole shut ES down because we were violating some obscure copyright law in Luxemburg. Discretion is our friend here an a PM and/or email is probably the more prudent approach to sharing our "Modding Techniques". ;)

Thanks for sharing your technique, by the way.

thanks for that info, it's indeed relevant here. There is no copyright info given with the software, so we may use it as is without any warranty. My indent was just to prevent problems. After all you have found out i'd say that it's okay to place a link here, but i would avoid uploading it to ES directly

crossbreak said:
thanks for that info, it's indeed relevant here. There is no copyright info given with the software, so we may use it as is without any warranty. My indent was just to prevent problems. After all you have found out i'd say that it's okay to place a link here, but i would avoid uploading it to ES directly
I agree, sounds good.

crossbreak said:

I wasn't trying to stir anything up either but it's better to be safe. If Bafang would give this software out officially that would be the best thing. I also agree that it would benefit them to do so. It will be interesting to see if they ever do that.

I also agree that the software may not even have a copyright but just because it's not showing on the screen doesn't mean it doesn't.

But I think this topic fits in this thread just fine. It's related to "New Bafang Crank-drives".

Concerning this software, could someone confirm that it actually works on either BBS01 or BBS02, i'd like to know which hardware revision works with that software before placing my order for a BBS02 750W.

Cheers guys!
Noisette

noisette123 said:
Concerning this software, could someone confirm that it actually works on either BBS01 or BBS02, i'd like to know which hardware revision works with that software before placing my order for a BBS02 750W.

Cheers guys!
Noisette

We've no idea because we haven't got a cable yet. Also those that do know (icewse etc) are keeping that info close to their chest for commercial reasons.

Hi all new to the forum very interesting reading I have built 3 bikes running the 25amp setup and have found using the throddle only causes excess beat build up ,how ever when using the pedal assist function with the un locked function (previous 3 levels modified =up to nine with modified front chain ring to single speed setup 34t in all levels running very cool climbing very very steep hills sometimes a bit challenge to keep cranking whilst front wheel lifting but I've found on mine accessing the speed cut off is easy an have changed to 50 kph max beware these motors are massively over geared and create excessive heat when the gearing is not modified an when using throddle only I think with the stock gearing your asking for trouble and stock gearing is rubbish I will post some pics of my latest when I figure out how :oops: it seems the chain line runs better on a 68mm bb shell to date an older santa cruz heckler seems to be the best fit .

Attachments

• IMG_2014031251896.jpg
    IMG_2014031251896.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,274
Battery question:

I'd prefer charging with an RC charger, splitting the pack in two halves, and then charging these halves in parallel would be perfect (as I can only find affordable chargers capable to 8s)
Should I go 12s or 14s li-ion? I'll be charging to 4.1V/cell

At 12s I wouldn't even need new chargers.

Do I loose a lot of Power on 12s? I'll be running 6p high capacity power-tool cells.

wormsman said:
Hi all new to the forum very interesting reading I have built 3 bikes running the 25amp setup and have found using the throddle only causes excess beat build up ,how ever when using the pedal assist function with the un locked function (previous 3 levels modified =up to nine with modified front chain ring to single speed setup 34t in all levels running very cool climbing very very steep hills sometimes a bit challenge to keep cranking whilst front wheel lifting but I've found on mine accessing the speed cut off is easy an have changed to 50 kph max beware these motors are massively over geared and create excessive heat when the gearing is not modified an when using throddle only I think with the stock gearing your asking for trouble and stock gearing is rubbish I will post some pics of my latest when I figure out how :oops: it seems the chain line runs better on a 68mm bb shell to date an older santa cruz heckler seems to be the best fit .

Yes,I agree it is overgeared.I bought a bbs02 500w 48v and a bafang cst 500w at the same time.The cst is 22 amp 48 v and the bbs 02 is 18 amp 48v.The bbs02 climbs only slightly better.not much.but it get much faster hot.often in some steep hills the bbs02 shut down.Overall the cst is the faster bike.

nioko said:
Battery question:

I'd prefer charging with an RC charger, splitting the pack in two halves, and then charging these halves in parallel would be perfect (as I can only find affordable chargers capable to 8s)
Should I go 12s or 14s li-ion? I'll be charging to 4.1V/cell

At 12s I wouldn't even need new chargers.

Do I loose a lot of Power on 12s? I'll be running 6p high capacity power-tool cells.
I run 12S. 14S is also feasible with the 750W version. Temped to add another couple cells to my pack to try the difference.

Back