New Bafang Crank-Drives

I ordered my 750W kit from General Electronics Battery one month ago, and it is still not shipped!
Is this normal? I have no trouble with waiting a couple of weeks but one month is a looong time. Response time on email from amy is also slow.

Hope you guys had better experience with General Electronics Battery than me.

Slowrider said:
I ordered my 750W kit from General Electronics Battery one month ago, and it is still not shipped!

I ordered mine on the 26th of February, no word yet on when it will be shipped, did they give you any indication when yours would be shipped?

Slowrider said:
Is this normal? I have no trouble with waiting a couple of weeks but one month is a looong time. Response time on email from amy is also slow.

Hope you guys had better experience with General Electronics Battery than me.

Yeah, mine took 5 weeks to ship and another to get here.

Same, about 5 weeks. 4 weeks to get confirmation that it has been shipped then about a week after that. don't worry, they are reliable, just slow. i have received 3 orders from them now with all about the same length of time to arrive.

Kepler said:
Same, about 5 weeks. 4 weeks to get confirmation that it has been shipped then about a week after that. don't worry, they are reliable, just slow. i have received 3 orders from them now with all about the same length of time to arrive.

Thanks, that is reassuring to know.

The last I heard was "that it will be ready in a few days", and it is now over one week since I got that replay.
But I guess I am a little spoiled with short leadtime from other vendors, I ordered some prototypes for work that was cnc machined, laser cut and stamped. I took one week from order in China to delivery in Norway.

Slowrider said:
Put an order on the 14th Feb, 17th Mar - confirmation it shipped, due to collect today.

I got a 750W Kit and battery from www.conhismotor.com

It took only three days from ordering to my doorstep.

The battery was faulty. They tried to have me trouble shoot it for a bit. I got tired of that and asked for a new one which took a month. It's all good now. I'll continue to buy from them after that experience. They sent a new one before sending the old one back. One good data point for Conhismotor.

Here's how it should look: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/nuvinci-n360-sprocket-prod30977/

kampua said:
Does Amy provide warranty? Have not receive a reply from her.
What sort of warranty you expect?
Sure she'll try to troubleshoot over Skype and then replace the broken unit provided you return the faulty one on your cost.

Chalz said:
I got a 750W Kit and battery from http://www.conhismotor.com

The battery was faulty. They tried to have me trouble shoot it for a bit. I got tired of that and asked for a new one which took a month. It's all good now. I'll continue to buy from them after that experience. They sent a new one before sending the old one back. One good data point for Conhismotor.

US$ 488.97 shipped to oz....cheap.

I got a 750W Kit and battery from www.conhismotor.com

Chalz, what was freight cost from Conhismotor to the States?

And did it arrive programmed with the speed limit removed?

joshseitz said:
Chalz, what was freight cost from Conhismotor to the States?
And did it arrive programmed with the speed limit removed?

I am also interested to know if it arrived programmed with the speed limit removed.

joshseitz, if you want to find out shipping. Just add item to shopping cart, plug in your address and it will calculate shipping.

kampua said:
Hi CellBalance, any luck with fixing your motor? Is there a way to know for sure that this has been fixed in post Nov 13 motors?
Currently awaiting replacement gear. Will advise when I get it back together.
It appears that pre-Nov '13 motors also had no overheat protection. Overheating apparently causes plastic gears to soften and get munched by the smaller helical steel primary reduction gear. Yes, I believe that more recent motors do have a heat sensor and over-heat shut down circuitry. Perhaps a brighter light can confirm that. I'm considering attaching a 40x40x60mm heat sink to the bottom of the motor on the spot that's so nice and flat it looks like it could have been designed for it.

Someone asked about the click I heard that first indicated something broken inside the motor. The clicking was in sync with the crank and stopped when the motor stopped.

Re: chain jumping on the freewheel/cassette...I think the addition of this motor's torque to mere pedaling can cause a chain to jump/skip a tooth when it wasn't happening without motor - especially if it's an older/worn chain/chainring and/or if the chain tension is too loose (chain length a link or 3 too long). I changed out for a new chain and solved that issue. Amazingly, I've yet to hear about busted chains with this much torque. Bicycles are incredibly durable pound for pound.

Re: chain jumping off the front chainring, I finally re-installed a front deraileur and set it to a fixed positon to stop that aggravating occurrence as someone suggested here.

The speed limit was not removed, but you can program that yourself. If I recall correctly you can set it up to 50km (31mph) on the controller. I did ask for it to be removed, and they stated you can do that yourself and declined to do it for me. I have set it to the max speed which right at the limit of capability for this little motor.

It looks like this forum is very close to discovering how to program it as we have the app and just need to figure out the cable.

Chalz said:
It looks like this forum is very close to discovering how to program it as we have the app and just need to figure out the cable.

I don't think we are.

The chap a few pages back says he doesn't want to damage his unit again so has given up.
mwkeefer said months ago he'd have an open source software avail "soon" - well, we're way past "soon".
And icewse can obviously do it but he's keeping it to himself - I imagine Bafang have told him he'd lose his supply contract if he divulged how to do it.

Personally, I don't think we'll see a way of programming these units any time soon - if at all. So don't buy one thinking "it's ok, Ill be able to tweak it to suit my needs later" - it aint going to happen - probably best find something that suits your needs now instead.

Kepler said:
I ordered mine from NNE bikes, took 15 days to arrive but that's a BBS01 36V350W version.

amigafan2003 said:
Chalz said:

I don't think we are.

The chap a few pages back says he doesn't want to damage his unit again so has given up.
mwkeefer said months ago he'd have an open source software avail "soon" - well, we're way past "soon".
And icewse can obviously do it but he's keeping it to himself - I imagine Bafang have told him he'd lose his supply contract if he divulged how to do it.

Personally, I don't think we'll see a way of programming these units any time soon - if at all. So don't buy one thinking "it's ok, Ill be able to tweak it to suit my needs later" - it aint going to happen - probably best find something that suits your needs now instead.
Or perhaps you just want a kit that is easy to install and works well if your needs are modest. If you aren't obsessed with modding this kit beyond its design limits, then I have to say it might just be a pretty good kit. It has certainly made my commute a pleasure to ride.

teslanv said:
Or perhaps you just want a kit that is easy to install and works well if your needs are modest. If you aren't obsessed with modding this kit beyond its design limits, then I have to say it might just be a pretty good kit. It has certainly made my commute a pleasure to ride.

I agree. I am testing a 36V/250W kit prior to buying a couple more - all for commuting purposes. Thus far the 36V/250W unit has been fantastic. I do not understand this recurring obsession with 'removing the speed limit'. Given that (with my kit anyway) you can programme the upper speed limit to 50km/h - way faster than it'll ever go - it's clear that, working through the gears, I can drive this unit as fast as the little motor is capable of taking me (a bit over 30km/h). How is removing the speed limit going to help me go faster?

At these sort of speeds and above, increased power also has to overcome exponential increases in wind resistance anyway so I can't see the point in going much faster I'm afraid. I'm 60yoa and quite a powerful rider. My bikes are all 'upright' (apart from a recumbent trike) and I ride mostly in city traffic. I find 25-30km/h plenty fast enough. I can see advantage in having a more powerful motor on one or two of my herd - say 36v/500w - but really, only for those times when I need to carry heavy stuff on a trailer or cargo bike and need extra power and maybe acceleration to stay with traffic. Not for 'going faster'!

As far as I can see, the biggest issues that have emerged here on ES with regard to the BBSxx have been:
- the longevity of the 'white gear' (which may only be an issue with earlier versions anyway)
- potential (with older bike designs) for the slightly recessed back of the main gear case to interfere with some round RH chainstays when installed, requiring use of a 1 or 2mm BB spacer
- with smaller 16"-20" wheels, the need to use an after-market adapter and bigger chainwheels (56-60T) to get maximum 'fun' out of the PAS control.

It seems to me that these relatively minor challenges suggest that the unit is already a relatively refined design and ought to be appreciated on its many merits (which is what I think teslanv is suggesting!) Not the least being its amazing ease of installation!

my 3 cents worth anyway.

Savvas.

Edit 27/3/14: This thing is faster than I have suggested. Out on the local mainstreet this evening with no head (or tail) wind and no cars about, I found myself easily doing 35km/h on throttle and 39km/h on PAS! This seems likely to be the absolute maximum for this unit and quite fast enough for me. I have experience only with one other electric bike kit - the earlier and outrageously expensive BionX P250 NiMH-powered 24V outfit. IMHO the BBS01 (in common Australian parlance) 'shxts all over' the BionX in every respect at around 1/4 of the price!

China cycle exhibition is mid next month. I am interested to see if they unveil any new version. I think they unveiled the first version in last year's China cycle.

teslanv said:

That's what I was saying.

I'm very happy with my 48v500w kit running on 15s lipo.

--freeride-- said:
beazee said:
Here's the photo I took using BBS 01 blueprints (...) clearly shows we're talking a tight fit there.
That won't be a tight fit, lots of space though.
And here's how it looks assembled:
HlNYADK.jpg

I'd personally prefer more space between the cables and the wheel.
But have to say, the thing (36V 500W 25A) is amazing!

Back