New Battery "Breaking In"??

charge to full charge before using the first time. discharge as deep as safe but under reduced load when you get below 3.2V so the battery does not overheat. that creates more storage spots for the lithium ions in the cathodic matrix.

charge when you need to use it and otherwise leave it uncharged until you need it. do not discharge to low voltages under high load because that causes heating.

use it at full charge when you use it because the internal resistance is lowest at full charge. the BMS also requires charging to full charge to allow balancing of the cells. just do not leave fully charged all the time.

Some sources say first cycles should be on rather conservative discharges to break in batteries after long storage period. And it is always recommended for batteries not to sit too long on fully charged state but you probably knew that :p

I like to do some shallow cycles to break in the battery. It's not breaking in anything, but I feel it can help the battery get fully balanced, and fully charged, before you go out to do any long rides.

So I like to charge it, go round the block, charge it again, then start watching the voltage. When it holds close the charged voltage, I assume it's as balanced as it will get. That the bms is not discharging high cells anymore.

Once night falls, I leave it on the charger overnight. By the next day, should be ready for that longer ride.

Same thing after long storage. the battery will need balancing after a longer storage.

Back