• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

No! The stock caps are 80 volts. I meant if I replaced them with 100. Sorry for confusion.

I ended up swapping the connectors over to a lyen 12 fet controller since it already had the caps and I thought I could program. Lost my adaptor though. Anyway long story short 80 volts isn't enough, I'll go ahead and run 30S RC Lipo on my Powervelocity 24f until I can get something smaller to run that voltage. With 30S voltage I can get decent power without stressing the motor with lots of current.

I am getting 1/2 the range from my battery on this Cyclone compared to the Conhismotor 1kw, its a bummer, Battery is 36V 24Ah. Must be the 65A controller the Cyclone 4kw uses, compared to the 40-45A Conhismotor.

Also I am getting far too many people noticing the setup when its parked or on the train and asking questions. I dont mind it right now, but I will get annoyed at it soon enough.

markz said:
I am getting 1/2 the range from my battery on this Cyclone compared to the Conhismotor 1kw, its a bummer, Battery is 36V 24Ah. Must be the 65A controller the Cyclone 4kw uses, compared to the 40-45A Conhismotor.

Also I am getting far too many people noticing the setup when its parked or on the train and asking questions. I dont mind it right now, but I will get annoyed at it soon enough.

Yes the motor does attract attention but its much better than the gng mid drive that i had. That thing was noisy

flat tire said:
No! The stock caps are 80 volts. I meant if I replaced them with 100. Sorry for confusion.

I ended up swapping the connectors over to a lyen 12 fet controller since it already had the caps and I thought I could program. Lost my adaptor though. Anyway long story short 80 volts isn't enough, I'll go ahead and run 30S RC Lipo on my Powervelocity 24f until I can get something smaller to run that voltage. With 30S voltage I can get decent power without stressing the motor with lots of current.

Wow, 80V isn't enough for what? for breaking the sound barrier? What would you define as decent power and what are your goals?

G.

markz said:

What is your average speed now and what was your average speed then? When I upgraded from a GNG Gen2 @ 750W to the 3kW cyclone my range was also cut in half, but then my average speed went from 15 mph to 25 mph, and where I was barely hitting 25 mph before with the GNG now I was hitting 35-40 with the Cyclone... so that would explain why your range is half as well.

G.

ebike11 said:
markz said:
Take a look at Greentime on Alibaba, they got some cheap controllers.

They have sine wave also?
I ordered the regular greentime controller in the past. Worked well

The Powervelocity seems to be FOC (Field Oriented Control), and it has field weakening, also its bluetooth, something that would work great with the tablet I have on my trike. :) I haven't used the powervelocity but seems to be a really good FOC controller, and cheaper than the Adaptto, the Savbotons and all the other overpriced washing machine motor controllers...

G.

I would advice against buying cheap controllers, the Cyclone stock controller is a cheap controller, that works very well... I doubt you can find anything cheap that will work any better than the one that came with the kit.

G.

I am getting the powervelocity 8kW one, and I will do the pullup resistor mod that was described here... :)

G.

This afternoon, I replaced dead Hall sensors in three of these Cyclone motors. I can't say it was fun, but in four and a half hours I was able to resurrect close to a thousand bucks worth of motors. Yay, me.

Testing them after repairs, I was struck by how noisy they are compared to any other electric bike motors I've used. It's not an objectionable sound, but it's loud. And it doesn't sound like gear noise either-- it's electrical. It reminds me of the big stepper motors I used in my first homebrew CNC mill back in the early '90s.

Chalo said:
This afternoon, I replaced dead Hall sensors in three of these Cyclone motors. I can't say it was fun, but in four and a half hours I was able to resurrect close to a thousand bucks worth of motors. Yay, me.

Testing them after repairs, I was struck by how noisy they are compared to any other electric bike motors I've used. It's not an objectionable sound, but it's loud. And it doesn't sound like gear noise either-- it's electrical. It reminds me of the big stepper motors I used in my first homebrew CNC mill back in the early '90s.

WOW!!! hahaha fixing hall sensors... man.

Yeah, the Cyclone ain't a quiet motor, all of mine make whining sounds, and not gears, and the trikes sound like F-1s when spooling up... :)

AND BTW.... here comes!!

100pages.jpg

G.

Chalo said:
Testing them after repairs, I was struck by how noisy they are compared to any other electric bike motors I've used. It's not an objectionable sound, but it's loud. And it doesn't sound like gear noise either-- it's electrical.

I agree, they are loud and people hear you coming up from behind (a long ways) them on the pathways. I am not wholly convinced that cyclone mid drive is good for my needs. Compared to say a high powered direct drive motor in a small diameter wheel. I'd really have to do a proper test on this one short section of 12% grade that is the most I'd conquer on a casual ride. I do hate hills and understand the user nick name Hillhater.

One day I will lace the mxus 3k in my 16" moto rim and compare it to c4k.

Chalo

You replaced the has sensors because? How many years/miles did you get out of the cyclone motor before the hals went? Did you replace them to use a non stock controller? Sorry if I missed it in previous posts. I like the thought of a replacement motor priced at around $220 last I checked for the 3000w one. For $50 I'd be tempted to do the shunt mod on controller on the next one I build. I don't want to mess with a good running ebike to try right now. Here's a photo of what the ride has become. No more straight bars. Bent one and broke another garvin forks, no more. There are 12 3D printed parts to the battery holder. Not much for exposed wires. The brooks saddle in the picture has also been replaced, springs were squeekey and there is a lot of side to side flex at yer ass cheeks, not good. Now I have a suspension seatpost and a basic padded seat, much better. Brooks saddle is good for the pictures for that modern retro look.

Attachments

• IMG_1374.PNG
    IMG_1374.PNG
    154.9 KB · Views: 2,081
I got 30S up and running. This thing absolutely rips and hits high speed in low gear. Very glad I didn't accept 20S. 60 amps battery 120 amps phase, will tweak that as I do more testing.

flat tire said:
I got 30S up and running. This thing absolutely rips and hits high speed in low gear. Very glad I didn't accept 20S. 60 amps battery 120 amps phase, will tweak that as I do more testing.

What is your top speed in low gear?

G.

Not sure I will check later tonight. Probably around 30 and I'll have to see how many teeth are on the cassette low gear. I got the motor pretty warm earlier in 3 miles @ 60 amps battery 120 amps phase. What phase current are people running?

flat tire said:
Not sure I will check later tonight. Probably around 30 and I'll have to see how many teeth are on the cassette low gear. I got the motor pretty warm earlier in 3 miles @ 60 amps battery 120 amps phase. What phase current are people running?

30mph in 1st gear is not bad. I am running peak of 90A on 18S LiPo, and whatever phase amps are programmed stock on the Cyclone 40A controller; but 30mph for me the motor barely gets warm.

G.

Skaiwerd said:
You replaced the has sensors because? How many years/miles did you get out of the cyclone motor before the hals went?

All three motors were from a pedicab company I work for on the side. None of the motors had been in service for even a year, and one was new. Two of the motors had been messed up by a faulty controller (I suspect either too high voltage or incorrect wire assignment), and one other developed similar symptoms independently. They all came back to normal after I put in new Hall sensors.

Marz,

section of 12% grade

With the cyclone 3000 at 80 v max & 40 amp controller I have done a smooth 2-tracks of 51% grades as measured by a digital level.

I have had both the the Cromotor Hubzilla and a Crystalyte t60 with 24" rims and I would find it difficult to believe they could make it up this 50% grade starting at the point of inflection with a 40 amp controller. These creations were very hard to ride on difficult 2 tracks [rocky] where you needed to use a pick-a-path strategy -- Sometimes riding was quite scary as you needed quite a bit of speed for head walling encounters.

With the c-3000 I have not been able to achieve as low as Wh/mi as I did with a 1000 w 9C hub motor running at 3000 watts. Probably off by 20 - 25 %.

Robo,

about 80% of the time I am more satisfied with the Big Hit Specialized than the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. If you are only going to build one e-dirt-bike go with a short wheel base downhill bike frame. The 4000 watt cyclone Elite frame will never make a bike like these. Also I have some doubts the rear suspension could hold up to the abuse it would get.

Back