New Fat Bike build - Decisions, Decisions..!

Johne-bike

10 W
I am a retired Brit, now enjoying my freedom at home with my Thai wife and our young Daughter in NE Thailand.
I have recently ordered a new Panther Hercules One Fat Bike from a great LBS and as soon as it arrives in a couple of weeks, I am going to carry out my first Ebike conversion, so much excitement at the prospect!
tmp-cam--1275611973.jpg
I have been reading up everything I can on this great hobby, and despite or maybe because of all the fantastic information and advice I have read, I am still undecided between going the DD Hubby route for simplicity and reliability, or whether I should go with my heart, and choose a Cyclone 3000w Mid drive from Cyclone Taiwan, with strengthened AFT motor mount, and Heavy Duty new 4 pawl Crank Freewheel, and 60amp Bluetooth Controller. I have also considered the Bafang BBSHD, but I am concerned about long term reliability of the internal controller, and also the nylon gear in the gearbox. The Cyclone seems to offer more grunt, and easier serviceability although noisier and "cruder" in some respects, but many on ES rave about it.. Certainly good value shipped over to Thailand.
If I choose the DD hub motor route, I really like the spec of the QS 205 2000w 45H V3, although QS have informed me they will make a 175mm axle version, but require an MOQ of 10 axles, for which I am awaiting the price. If I choose this option, I am thinking of a Powevelocity 12 fet Bluetooth controller.
Whether Cyclone or QS hub, I am planning on going with HK Multistar, 4x4s 16000mahs batteries for 60v, as I have used R/C lipos for years and am very familiar with them and they are great value and cheap to ship to Thailand . Charger I am planning is the Radiolink CB86+ balance charger, which has good feedback on ES.
My riding is going to be on mainly flat gravel and hard packed trails running through the sugar plantations and rice paddies that surround my home, so no hill climbing and no riding in heavy mud! This is going to be riding for fun and excercise on a daily basis for me.. Oh, and I am a fit, young at heart 65year old and weigh around 70kgs, and the bike is 16kgs pre conversion..
So fellow experienced ES'ers.. What epower unit should I choose for my fun, reliable yet "sporty" lifestyle ride..I'm not yet ready for the Electric Bath chair..!! Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received and considered..!

Along with my plans for my new bike, I have ordered a new Coyote Super Fat 20" bike as a suprise Birthday present for my daughters 8th birthday in a couple of weeks time.
tmp-cam-184561578.jpg
The bike is being built by a well respected Ebike builder in Bangkok and is good value for money I think at 26000 Thai Baht complete, or around £650 Sterling delivered to our home. Spec is new Fat Bike, 1000w hub motor, 25amp Controller, 48v 15AH Bottle Battery pack, Charger, LCD, PAS, Shimano Hydraulic Brakes, LED lights F&R, etc.
Looking forward to riding out with my young daughter in a few weeks time! I expect my wife will be wanting her own new ebike thereafter..!! Family rides out here we come..!

Back