New "Flat-Less" Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres for 2014

Aushiker

100 W
Schwalbe is releasing an updated Schwalbe Marathon Plus in 2014 according to the latest press release from Schwalbe.

Now Schwalbe is presenting a new version of its Marathon Plus. Despite its thick protective layer, the tyre rolls surprisingly lightly. “Our laboratory test have shown that among tyres with thick puncture protection belts, the Marathon Plus has by far the lightest rolling characteristics", says René Marks.

The side walls have also been optimised. Since the tyre is so substantial, it has often been ridden with too low air pressure. These years of "mishandling" would sometimes lead to cracks in the side walls. Now a special anti-aging technology works to protect the side walls of the Marathon Plus from premature cracking as well as adverse weather conditions. The rubber compound also makes the Marathon worthy of its name: The Endurance Compound rolls for thousands of kilometres with excellent performance characteristics and low abrasion.

The patented ‘Plus’ of the Marathon is still the heart of the tyre: Smart Guard, the protective belt consisting of five millimetre thick natural rubber. The tyre is now partly made from recycled rubber and is therefore resource-friendly./quote]
Of particular interest is the tyres are approved for e-bike use...

E-bikers also have equally good reasons to opt for flat-less tyres. The particular demands of the e-bike require an extremely stable, durable and puncture-proof tyre. For this reason, Schwalbe had the Marathon Plus certified in all its popular sizes for use with fast e-bikes. The following sizes bear the ECE R75 mark of conformity, valid throughout Europe: 47-406, 47-559, 37-622, 40-622, 47-622.
Press release can be found at http://www.schwalbe.com/en/pressereader/the-new-flat-less.html

Andrew

Ebike usage for tire companies revolve around larger volume tires.

Edit: My comment reads as if larger volumed tires are the key, but schalwbe's puncture resistance in this model is superb. I've a pair of the older marathon supreme on a beater bike and haven't had a single flat on it for years.

I'm thinking of going to this tire for spring/summer/fall season on my 29er or my folder. The 20 inch tires come wider as well, similar to BMX widths.

Looks great for road use.

I'd like to see some offroad tyres with a similar thickness of rubber :)

Punx0r said:
Looks great for road use.

I'd like to see some offroad tyres with a similar thickness of rubber :)

Moto tires... or for you, moto tyres :mrgreen:

I need more air volume. Otherwise my ride will be extra harsh!

I guess this is good for my slower hybrid ebike.

The current marathon plus is already my favorite tire in the world. Pretty awesome that they are improving a product that is already good.

Tonight I had a screw go into my marathon plus tire at such an angle that the tip came out the other end and didn't puncture the tube. I'd say that's a good tire.

Nice, but 47-559 is narrow. 57-559, please.
130km yesterday with mamils in perfect weather. I"m dead :wink:
Very easy riding today.

mvly said:
I need more air volume. Otherwise my ride will be extra harsh!

I guess this is good for my slower hybrid ebike.

47mm offers plenty of cush if you don't pump it to the max. Also keep in mind that the Marathon Plus features a slab of resilient sub-tread rubber almost 1/4" thick that stays nice and soft no matter how hard you inflate the tire. It's a better ride than you think, I reckon. My only quibble with the Marathon Plus is its chunky, "heavy" feel compared to less armored tires. But that's heavy, not harsh.

good to hear about the "Marathons" compound upgrade, because I use them for many years of trouble-free fun. Now, however, just installed "Armadillo's" with flat-free kevlar belts called "Crossroads" this year. seem tough construction for us ebiker loads.
Has anyone used these Armadillo tires before?

I used armadillos initially but found that they didn't have very good ride quality. But that was 4 years ago, maybe they've changed since.

I've ran armadillos, but I was plagued with flats on about a weekly basis average.

At Chalo's suggestion, I switched to RiBMo's and couldn't be happier. Most important to me is ride quality, which they do an exceptional job at, as well as puncture resistance, which they are the best I've ever tried for a bicycle tire. I've had about 2 flats in the last 4months as opposed to a flat a week with Armadillos.

They have a critical weakness though! On a wet road, they offer extremely poor traction. Like, front-washing-out in fairly mild cornering poor traction. I was riding with only a rear brake in the rain on RiBMo's and having a ball sliding around everywhere, but it's not the experience folks are looking for who aren't into having some blood spill on the ground. If you're gonna often ride in the wet, it's the wrong tire if you're not looking for a slippery exciting adventure.

Been lurking for a while. First post.

I have a pair of Marathon Plus tyres, tour 26x1.75, for my commuter bike. Love em! They roll really well and feel fairly comfy for a narrow tyre. Tough as nails.

I live in Queanbeyan NSW Australia, and over the last 5~6 years we have had a wave of cat's eye thorns ("3 corner jacks" / "puncture vine") move in. The council has sat on their hands and done FA about them. The thorns (3 per pod) on them are as hard as any timber and about 4~5mm in length. They manage to have one thorn point upwards no matter how the seed pod falls. Clumps of the parent plant grow on the sides of roads, and particularly on corners as the thorns are hard enough to stick into car tyres (obviously not long enough to puncture), and when the tyre flexes they are ejected.

I'm putting together a DH comp ebike and I've gone with a set of 26x2.4 Kenda small block tyres with slime in the tube, because the Marathons are only available up to 26x2.0.

Rolls.

I bought my last e-bike, an Epik Whistler(January 16, 2013) with a $76. upgrade to Schwalbe Marathon Green Guard 47-559. I now have 21,000 kilometres or 13,000 miles on them and they honestly look like they have no wear on them yet. Also, they have never seen a puncture. I have had 2 rear tubes punctured by being sucked into a spoke hole from the inside, but that had nothing to do with the tires. These tires are incredible, I never saw such long lasting bicycle tires.These are the cheapest tires because they outlast the others 4:1. They are extremely comfortable and quiet with not too much rolling resistance. As far as I am concerned, there is no other bicycle tire to consider. If I reach 40,000 kilometres, it will be the equivalent of riding around the world and I think I may have some sort of record. Bill

WASYLBRYTAN said:
I bought my last e-bike, an Epik Whistler(January 16, 2013) with a $76. upgrade to Schwalbe Marathon Green Guard 47-559. I now have 21,000 kilometres or 13,000 miles on them and they honestly look like they have no wear on them yet. Also, they have never seen a puncture. I have had 2 rear tubes punctured by being sucked into a spoke hole from the inside, but that had nothing to do with the tires. These tires are incredible, I never saw such long lasting bicycle tires.These are the cheapest tires because they outlast the others 4:1. They are extremely comfortable and quiet with not too much rolling resistance. As far as I am concerned, there is no other bicycle tire to consider. If I reach 40,000 kilometres, it will be the equivalent of riding around the world and I think I may have some sort of record. Bill

13,000 miles on the same tires? That's really impressive. I though 5-7,000 was about the most you could get from bicycle tires. I know road bicycle 700x23 tires only last about 2000 miles.

My LBS does not have the 2014 in yet :( I'll be picking up 2 old style Marathon Plus in the morn for "immediate need". I'll get 2 of the 2014's when their in stock.

How long are the Marathon Plus tyres lasting compared to other tyres, and at what point do you decide it's time to retire the tyre? My last was junked because of the bead losing strength causing the tyre to move on the rim leading to punctures.

Al, the new "improved" 2014 Marathon's are supposedly a whole new composition. Especially addressing sidewall and bead weakness as the tire is used year after year after year...

I read about it on the schwabes website last night. I read it on the internet, it must be true!

Well anyway since they changed the composition.. It will take years to actually find out.. Unless they really pooched the screwed and the first manufacturing batches are faulty. Or if the new composition reacts very badly to unforeseen environmental combo's.

(( I just read what I wrote.. Dang this coffee is good today. ))

I have been using Scwalbe Marathon Plus for years. I am happy with them, although I find that after a season of use ( 5000KM) they are worn out. I am SURPRISED that other members claim 15K-20K KM use. And as mention the new type hopefully is a IMPROVEMENT. 2 years ago I bought a set of the "Greenguard" Ebike Scwalbe tires from a UK site. These "Green Guard" worn out really fast like in 3k KM and did suffer more flats. May be because the green belt protection is thinner that regular Marathon Plus. Only time will tell if the New Flatless tires are better?

veloman said:
WASYLBRYTAN said:

13,000 miles on the same tires? That's really impressive. I though 5-7,000 was about the most you could get from bicycle tires. I know road bicycle 700x23 tires only last about 2000 miles.
The really interesting thing is that there is hardly any wear visible; they look like they may very well go another 13,000. I always make sure they are properly pressurized before I ride and that's it, no other precautions. They are not even marathon plus, just the regular marathons. Do you actually mean to say that mine are unusual in some way? Bill

As some kind of baseline to compare how long tires are lasting can you give an indication of what your 'worn out' point is? Bike tyres don't aquaplane when there is no tread and I've seen tyres used down to the carcass. Bike weight will also make a difference, as can riding style. These 'variables' are likely to be the reason for the large lifetime differences seen.
My last 2 tyres were junked early for other reasons- one had a broken bead so was slipping round the rim dragging the tube with it, the other started getting punctures regularly.

alsmith said:
As some kind of baseline to compare how long tires are lasting can you give an indication of what your 'worn out' point is? Bike tyres don't aquaplane when there is no tread and I've seen tyres used down to the carcass. Bike weight will also make a difference, as can riding style. These 'variables' are likely to be the reason for the large lifetime differences seen.
My last 2 tyres were junked early for other reasons- one had a broken bead so was slipping round the rim dragging the tube with it, the other started getting punctures regularly.
I would consider my tires worn out when there is no tread left. I now have 14,200 miles on my tires and the tread is just beginning to show signs of wear. I phoned the Schwalbe North American Distributor in Washington State and had a long conversation about tire quality. They said they have never known anyone to get more than 15,000 miles out of their tires. The man I spoke with requested that I send them my tires if and when they wear out because he would like to examine them. The factory, by the way, rates Marathons for 15,000 kilometres or 9,375 miles. Bill

WASYLBRYTAN said:
alsmith said:
I would consider my tires worn out when there is no tread left. I now have 14,200 miles on my tires and the tread is just beginning to show signs of wear. I phoned the Schwalbe North American Distributor in Washington State and had a long conversation about tire quality. They said they have never known anyone to get more than 15,000 miles out of their tires. The man I spoke with requested that I send them my tires if and when they wear out because he would like to examine them. The factory, by the way, rates Marathons for 15,000 kilometres or 9,375 miles. Bill

Thanks for that, it's good to get information like that.

And a big PLUS to Schwalbe for being so helpful and open. I've had quite a few makes but not tried their tyres yet but they will be my next purchase- I know a couple of tyres isn't going to make much difference to them but I like to support the manufacturers who really help and support users.

Eskimo said:
Nice, but 47-559 is narrow. 57-559, please.
130km yesterday with mamils in perfect weather. I"m dead :wink:
Very easy riding today.

Have you checked out big apple plus? They come in 55-559. Something else to consider, wider rims mean more air volume as well.

veloman said:
13,000 miles on the same tires? That's really impressive. I though 5-7,000 was about the most you could get from bicycle tires. I know
road bicycle 700x23 tires only last about 2000 miles.
I now have 17,500 miles on these tires which is 28,000 kilometres. They have never had a puncture and there is still lots of tread left. Bill

Back