New grin ready to roll kit, plz help

Stuartlsl

10 mW
This is my first post, I've been riding my ebike for over a year but I just purchased the 1000w g62 ready to roll kit with the phaserunner and Cav3 from grin. Got it all connected and worked fine on the stand but on my first test ride I start with power but when I come to a stop it stops working, the Cav3 shows the throttle operation but no movement of the wheel. If I power the system off and back on it works again no problem until I have to come to a stop. Any ideas? I have none, I set my tire size and battery parameters everything else is factory default settings.

This is my first post, I've been riding my ebike for over a year but I just purchased the 1000w g62 ready to roll kit with the phaserunner and Cav3 from grin.
Were any parts, wiring, etc. from the original system kept, or is it entirely the RTR?

Got it all connected and worked fine on the stand but on my first test ride I start with power but when I come to a stop it stops working, the Cav3 shows the throttle operation but no movement of the wheel. If I power the system off and back on it works again no problem until I have to come to a stop. Any ideas? I have none, I set my tire size and battery parameters everything else is factory default settings.
Try it with the CA display set to the diag screen, one left button push.

WHen throttle (in) works on the left top of the screen, does the right top throttle (out) track it?

If not, do any of the limit flags on the lower left capitalize, or do all stay lower case?

When you come to a stop, is this done by coasting, or is it done by using the mechanical brakes, or is it done by regen braking?

Do you have ebrake switches connected to the CA? Does the brake lever icon show at any time during the problem

Were any parts, wiring, etc. from the original system kept, or is it entirely the RTR?

Try it with the CA display set to the diag screen, one left button push.

WHen throttle (in) works on the left top of the screen, does the right top throttle (out) track it?

If not, do any of the limit flags on the lower left capitalize, or do all stay lower case?

When you come to a stop, is this done by coasting, or is it done by using the mechanical brakes, or is it done by regen braking?

Do you have ebrake switches connected to the CA? Does the brake lever icon show at any time during the problem
The only thing left from the old system is the lights that are not hooked up (not sure how to) the brake levers with brake sensors and frame. When I pull the brakes it does Indicate that I am same with the throttle it scales up with the amount I twist. That's all from the main screen I'll have to try the diagnosis screen tomorrow. Oh and I use the brake levers to stop and I'm not sure if regen is set.

OK so I found that the led flashes for 2-5 meaning Instantaneous Controller Over Voltage. I don't understand this. When I go to the diagnostic screen next to throttle out there will be an F that briefly flashes when I twist the throttle and a D that does the same when I let off the throttle. Also I'm going to try to add the screen recorder video when I plug into the controller.

OK so I found that the led flashes for 2-5 meaning Instantaneous Controller Over Voltage. I don't understand this.

That can mean that regen current is being generated by the motor / controller but the battery is unable to accept it (for instance, if it has a diode or battery combiner/splitter module between it and the controller), so the voltage spikes on the controller instead.

When I go to the diagnostic screen next to throttle out there will be an F that briefly flashes when I twist the throttle and a D that does the same when I let off the throttle.
The cycle analyst doesn't have any F or D on the diagnostic screen's limit flags (just "awsvt").
The manual
says that for the spot on the screen you're talking about:
If the rate of change of the throttle is being clamped, then the associated rate limit will show up (F = fast, U = up, P = PAS, D = down, see section 6.5).

This basically means that throttle ramping is in effect, so it is not changing the throttle output as fast as the throttle input is changing, trying to smooth out your input.

Which *limit flags* on the diagnostic screen are capitalized?
1691028770026.png

And again, does the throttle out on *this screen* track the throttle in on *this screen*? It doesn't have to be an exact match (often they aren't once you have gone thru the calibration / setup pages of the CA manual so that the CA's throttle input range matches the actual voltage range from your actual throttle, and the CA's throttle output range matches your controller's throttle input range).

Also I'm going to try to add the screen recorder video when I plug into the controller.
I'm not sure what this video is supposed to show about the problem you're having as previously posted?

Or is it about a separate problem not yet stated or described in this thread?

Last edited:
So can I not use a dual battery balancer? I unplugged it and connected only one battery and it seems to be fine, for the video I wasn't sure if it had something to do with the problem or not I was trying to plug into the controller to get more data and that's all it would show. Now with just the one battery connected it shows that it connects so I would say it is related due to balancer. If I can't use the balancer it's going to be a major bummer because just one battery does not get me to work, I'm not worried about battery regent if I can connect both batteries.

So can I not use a dual battery balancer?

If by that you mean one of those battery splitters that prevents one from charging the other if they're at different voltages, then no, you can't use those with a system that does regen or regen doesn't work correctly, the voltage just spikes and can even damage the controller in some cases if it goes high enough.

If it's actually a balancer that "balances" the batteries, then in the normal usage of that word in relation to batteries it would need to connect to the individual cell groups of the batteries to make all the cells the same voltage...but that's unlikely given the information we have so far. It's probably just a diode device blockign either battery from getting current back from the other or the controller.

If it's only paralleling the two batteries, then it isn't actually a balancer, regardless of what a seller might call it (there are lots of bad translations out there that completely (and incorrectly) alter what functions one is led to believe a device has).

If I can't use the balancer it's going to be a major bummer because just one battery does not get me to work, I'm not worried about battery regent if I can connect both batteries.
You could just switch from one to the other, unplugging the empty and plugging in the full.

If you always make sure the batteries are at the same voltage when you connect them together, and they have a common port BMS (rather than separate charge and discharge ports), you can just parallel the batteries directly without the diode device. (if they have separate C&D ports, then if one battery tries to shut off for a problem, it may be backfed by the other; so the diode device is a safety thing in that event.

Or if you don't need regen you can disable that in the controller so it doesn't cause problems or damage, or disconnect the ebrake switches so they can't trigger it (if no other conditions to trigger it are setup in the controller).

for the video I wasn't sure if it had something to do with the problem or not I was trying to plug into the controller to get more data and that's all it would show.
Ah. Well, that could be anything from a problem with the cable being used to it not being fully plugged into either end of the connection, to a driver problem on your computer itself.

If by that you mean one of those battery splitters that prevents one from charging the other if they're at different voltages, then no, you can't use those with a system that does regen or regen doesn't work correctly, the voltage just spikes and can even damage the controller in some cases if it goes high enough.

If it's actually a balancer that "balances" the batteries, then in the normal usage of that word in relation to batteries it would need to connect to the individual cell groups of the batteries to make all the cells the same voltage...but that's unlikely given the information we have so far. It's probably just a diode device blockign either battery from getting current back from the other or the controller.

If it's only paralleling the two batteries, then it isn't actually a balancer, regardless of what a seller might call it (there are lots of bad translations out there that completely (and incorrectly) alter what functions one is led to believe a device has).

You could just switch from one to the other, unplugging the empty and plugging in the full.

If you always make sure the batteries are at the same voltage when you connect them together, and they have a common port BMS (rather than separate charge and discharge ports), you can just parallel the batteries directly without the diode device. (if they have separate C&D ports, then if one battery tries to shut off for a problem, it may be backfed by the other; so the diode device is a safety thing in that event.

Or if you don't need regen you can disable that in the controller so it doesn't cause problems or damage, or disconnect the ebrake switches so they can't trigger it (if no other conditions to trigger it are setup in the controller).
Thanks for the info, and it's just one of the things they call a balancer sorry just repeating what's it's sold as. As for my batteries the one that came with the bike is inside the frame and a second battery I bought because it was a pain to peddle the last few miles to work is mounted on the rear rack. I would actually like to figure out how I can hook up my old light system as I do ride home in the dark, it connected to the original controller and I could turn on running lights and have the brake light brighten when I pulled the brake handle. How would I go about disabling the regen so that I could run both batteries at the same time? The reason I got the r2r kit long story short is because the "new" motor the manufacturer sent me caused the controller and display to get smoked.

It wouldn't communicate because the "balancer" connecting my 2 batteries together
I don't see what that has to do with communication to the computer; there should be no connection from that device to your computer connection?

I would actually like to figure out how I can hook up my old light system as I do ride home in the dark, it connected to the original controller and I could turn on running lights and have the brake light brighten when I pulled the brake handle.
What voltage do they run from?

If you're not sure, does the old controller still power on enough to run the lights (even if it doesn't run the motor)? If so, you can measure the voltage at each of the lights.

Once you know what voltage they run from, we can come up with a way to hook them up and make them operate as you need them to.

Does the tail/brake light have two or three wires? If three, where does each connect to?

How would I go about disabling the regen so that I could run both batteries at the same time?

The quick way is to disconnect the ebrake wires from the controller to the brake levers. But you'd have to go into the setup program to actually disable the ability of the controller to create "negative" battery current; I am not sure what they might call the setting. Grin could tell you, though.

The reason I got the r2r kit long story short is because the "new" motor the manufacturer sent me caused the controller and display to get smoked.
If previously you had a geared hub with internal freewheeling clutch that didn't support regen, and the new motor had a locked clutch or stuck clutch or was a DD hub, then it would support regen. Then if you had the battery splitter installed and were in any situation that caused the motor to generate voltage (such as regen braking or going down a hill faster than the normal fastest speed of the motor, etc), that voltage would have nowhere to go, and if it exceeded the limits of the controller/display...POOF.

What voltage do they run from?

If you're not sure, does the old controller still power on enough to run the lights (even if it doesn't run the motor)? If so, you can measure the voltage at each of the lights.

Once you know what voltage they run from, we can come up with a way to hook them up and make them operate as you need them to.

Does the tail/brake light have two or three wires? If three, where does each connect to?

The quick way is to disconnect the ebrake wires from the controller to the brake levers. But you'd have to go into the setup program to actually disable the ability of the controller to create "negative" battery current; I am not sure what they might call the setting. Grin could tell you, though.

If previously you had a geared hub with internal freewheeling clutch that didn't support regen, and the new motor had a locked clutch or stuck clutch or was a DD hub, then it would support regen. Then if you had the battery splitter installed and were in any situation that caused the motor to generate voltage (such as regen braking or going down a hill faster than the normal fastest speed of the motor, etc), that voltage would have nowhere to go, and if it exceeded the limits of the controller/display...POOF.
No the old controller and display both are completely fried, the case of the controller cut into the power wire and shorted everything. But this is the light system I'm using Amazon.com which says When the brake signal wire and the brake low-voltage signal of the controller are connected normally, the brake light is on, and the brake light is off when the brake is canceled. This product needs to be connected to the same battery as the controller, otherwise the braking function cannot be activated. Connecting to the brake requires the controller to be a low-speed brake. If that helps? My brakes have 2 wires and to hook this up all I did before was connect brake wires into splitter and into the controller. I'm adding a picture of the splitter wiring because it doesn't show it on the Amazon page. I'm also looking into adding LED strip lights at a later date to be more noticeable as back in January I was the victim of a hit and run accident and want as much visibility as possible. The brake wires used to plug into the controller and the display is how I would power the running lights through the controller.

TThe old motor was a geared rear hub motor and was not locked but the manufacturer states that the battery could regent if continuously peddling at over 15mph without pas but with all the false claims they made I don't believe it, the new motor is the bafang g62 not wielded.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230612_090643_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230612_090643_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 2
But this is the light system I'm using Amazon.com which says When the brake signal wire and the brake low-voltage signal of the controller are connected normally, the brake light is on, and the brake light is off when the brake is canceled. This product needs to be connected to the same battery as the controller, otherwise the braking function cannot be activated. Connecting to the brake requires the controller to be a low-speed brake. If that helps?
they probahbly mean low-level brake, which is one that grounds the signal line from t he controlelr, which is how most of tehm owrk.

some contorllers have high level brake, which takes 12v ffrom an external source to turn on the brakes, for scooters and motor cycles athat have 12v lighting and use 12v to turn on their brake light.

so you should be able to wire the brake signal (not ground) from your brake levers to the light kits brake input, and to the ocntroller too if you want the brake to operate the controllers ebrake. if the rtr kit has the brake lever signal going to the cycle analyst you can still wire the lghts brake input to that as long as the light kits brake input just needs a grounded input to turn it on and doesn't place any voltage on that input wire.

My brakes have 2 wires and to hook this up all I did before was connect brake wires into splitter and into the controller. I'm adding a picture of the splitter wiring because it doesn't show it on the Amazon page. I'm also looking into adding LED strip lights at a later date to be more noticeable as back in January I was the victim of a hit and run accident and want as much visibility as possible.

you can take a look at my sb cruiser thread for how i lit it up, start at the end and work your way back since it's changes lots over the years.

i'm using plain color strips for static marker lights on fork/etc, and also using car add on turn signal strips that are white front red rear always on and when turning flash amber sequentially to really grab your attention. the rear ones also have a brake light functiont aht brightens them and flashes them rapidly a few times. i have them mounted up high on the rear edge of the cargo rack frame where ven tall suvs can seethemn.

plus i have trailre lights on the back of the tirke for regular turn signals, brake lights, and tail lights because the're big hand-sized things that even car drivers will notice even in daylight instead of teensy xmas bulb sized things that they can ignore.

then i used osme white downlighting on the sides to light up the cargo pod sides, and some on the downtube to light up the raod under the trike itself, and a rear red light under the back end to light the road up under the cargo pod.

and there are white lights i can turn on to light up the deck too, that shine forward from the rear rack onto it, and there are white lights i can shine down onto me form the canopy top to lght me up, but those two i don't normally need.

i'm also using a car headlight rather than a lttle led thing because i can see well with it and it doesn't blind anyone but it's a power hog.

i have a separate battery for the lights so that even if i run out of mtor power i still have lights to be seen with. ;)

The brake wires used to plug into the controller and the display is how I would power the running lights through the controller.
if you mean you could turn the lights on by turning on the display backlight / headlight conttrol, then if the enw dsiplay has a wire for that you coudl try it, but most of those only put out a tiny aomoutn of power and more than a tiny headlight may blow up t he internal transistor that does the switching.

you can use a separate switch to turn the lgihts on by hooking up one side of the switch to the battery positive, and the other to the light kit positive. light kit negatove/ground goes to battery ground.

i'm too tired to draw up the connections on the harnes picture now, but i'll give it a go when i'm more awake probably later this week smetime. .

The old motor was a geared rear hub motor and was not locked but the manufacturer states that the battery could regent if continuously peddling at over 15mph without pas but with all the false claims they made I don't believe it, the new motor is the bafang g62 not wielded.
if the motor was geared and had a freewheel (easy to turn it forward, not as easy backwards) then no matter how fast you pedal it would never regen. if it does not have a freewheel (same force to turn forward as backwards) then it could regen if you pedalled the bike faster than the motor could spin at the battery voltage you were at at the time, even if the bike had no regen option. but unless you can pedla a fair bit faster than the motor can push oyu it wouldn't generate much, and it would be a lot harder to pedal while it was doing this.

they probahbly mean low-level brake, which is one that grounds the signal line from t he controlelr, which is how most of tehm owrk.

some contorllers have high level brake, which takes 12v ffrom an external source to turn on the brakes, for scooters and motor cycles athat have 12v lighting and use 12v to turn on their brake light.

so you should be able to wire the brake signal (not ground) from your brake levers to the light kits brake input, and to the ocntroller too if you want the brake to operate the controllers ebrake. if the rtr kit has the brake lever signal going to the cycle analyst you can still wire the lghts brake input to that as long as the light kits brake input just needs a grounded input to turn it on and doesn't place any voltage on that input wire.

you can take a look at my sb cruiser thread for how i lit it up, start at the end and work your way back since it's changes lots over the years.

i'm using plain color strips for static marker lights on fork/etc, and also using car add on turn signal strips that are white front red rear always on and when turning flash amber sequentially to really grab your attention. the rear ones also have a brake light functiont aht brightens them and flashes them rapidly a few times. i have them mounted up high on the rear edge of the cargo rack frame where ven tall suvs can seethemn.

plus i have trailre lights on the back of the tirke for regular turn signals, brake lights, and tail lights because the're big hand-sized things that even car drivers will notice even in daylight instead of teensy xmas bulb sized things that they can ignore.

then i used osme white downlighting on the sides to light up the cargo pod sides, and some on the downtube to light up the raod under the trike itself, and a rear red light under the back end to light the road up under the cargo pod.

and there are white lights i can turn on to light up the deck too, that shine forward from the rear rack onto it, and there are white lights i can shine down onto me form the canopy top to lght me up, but those two i don't normally need.

i'm also using a car headlight rather than a lttle led thing because i can see well with it and it doesn't blind anyone but it's a power hog.

i have a separate battery for the lights so that even if i run out of mtor power i still have lights to be seen with. ;)

if you mean you could turn the lights on by turning on the display backlight / headlight conttrol, then if the enw dsiplay has a wire for that you coudl try it, but most of those only put out a tiny aomoutn of power and more than a tiny headlight may blow up t he internal transistor that does the switching.

you can use a separate switch to turn the lgihts on by hooking up one side of the switch to the battery positive, and the other to the light kit positive. light kit negatove/ground goes to battery ground.

i'm too tired to draw up the connections on the harnes picture now, but i'll give it a go when i'm more awake probably later this week smetime. .

if the motor was geared and had a freewheel (easy to turn it forward, not as easy backwards) then no matter how fast you pedal it would never regen. if it does not have a freewheel (same force to turn forward as backwards) then it could regen if you pedalled the bike faster than the motor could spin at the battery voltage you were at at the time, even if the bike had no regen option. but unless you can pedla a fair bit faster than the motor can push oyu it wouldn't generate much, and it would be a lot harder to pedal while it was doing this.

How would I go about checking if the light kit only needs ground and carries no volts? I was just guessing that I needed to splice the white wire from the light kit into the grin brake cable. With my original controller, display and lights I would press a button on the switch coming out of the display to power lights. When I used this light kit with original display and controller I plugged the yellow/black connector directly into controller where the switch wire used to go and used the included switch with the kit for brakes, running and turn lights no problem for before the controller shorted out. With that I plugged the 2 two wire brake lever sensors into the 2 connector and the other 2 connectors into controller but the grin brake cable only has a total of 2 pins for my 4 wires going into it. As for my LED lights I want to install (adding Pic of what I have) I got from Amazon but they are for a motorcycle with 12v system but what I like about it is the controller turns all lights red when brakes are applied and L or R side yellow flash when signal is turned on. The issue I'm having why I said I'd do it later is that I'm not sure how to hook up the 2 different light kits into the phaserunner and one running from 48v and other 12v, not sure but if I can get running light kit to run with 12v source I'm fine with that but not sure how to connect with the phaserunner to have motor cut off work. I have a couple of dc to dc power converters to drop down to 12v I also ordered a 5v 1 channel relay after watching this chick on YouTube but not sure that it's what I'm looking for. I'm going to try and add pics and links for everything I have maybe get a better idea of how to run this 🤷‍♂️. The old motor was a freewheel geared motor and I didn't think it was doing any regent, long story short on that is I got a full refund on the bike and was able to keep it.

Relay. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09VD6VCKK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

LED kit. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BPLBRY15/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DC to dc converter. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089FZMN5G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

YouTube video.

Attachments

• 20230811_101607.jpg
    20230811_101607.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230811_101601.jpg
    20230811_101601.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230811_101713.jpg
    20230811_101713.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230814_220957.jpg
    20230814_220957.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230811_101542.jpg
    20230811_101542.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 1
OK so bench test of just the light kit on 12v headlight and turn work OK but no rear running light, plug direct to 48v and works but haven't tested brake function as I'm still not 100% sure how to wire it and I'm starting to think getting the led kit to work with brakes and turn isn't going to be as easy as I was hoping

Well I was wrong about the grin ebrake cable, I decided to cut into it and verify what was going on and there are 4 wires a black and purple from either wp connector that at the connector to the CA both purple connect to 1 pin and same with black. Once I figured that out I tested continuity from lever white wire (signal) to grin plug to CA and it connected to black, kind of odd but OK??... Get it all together and connect power and brake light is always on, front and rear running lights as well as turn lights work as they should. On the CA it does not show brake is engaged while light is still on, if I pull on either lever the CA does show I engaged the brake and brake light remains on no flicker no power off nothing. It's all running from the same battery 48v system, I don't understand what is wrong? Someone please help!
Wanted to add that I do not have led kit on the bike so that's not interfering with anything.

Where I'm at now is I found that from one wp connector to the next white became black and black became white on one lever. Fixed that problem and wouldn't you know it I still have the same problem. If I connect only the black wire from the CA to black of the light kit and leave purple disconnected I don't get motor cut off but my brake lights work as soon as contact between purple and white brake light turns on so I'm saying F it, I have brake lights so whatever I disable cruise control and deal with it. I emailed grin 2 days before starting this thread and still haven't heard anything from them 👎👎

Back