New TSDZ2 Open Source firmware with Bluetooth interface

mspider65 said:
Beli said:
Haven't made a test ride til now, but here are my calibration values (36V motor driven by 11s battery):

These are almost identical values ​​to those of my motor.
Let's see if any more data arrives.
I remember to find the hall sensors reference and datasheet - anyone knows what is the datasheet for the hall sensors? - because maybe this are just defined delay times for signal turn on and off, on the hall sensors datasheet.

casainho said:
mspider65 said:
These are almost identical values ​​to those of my motor.
Let's see if any more data arrives.
I remember to find the hall sensors reference and datasheet - anyone knows what is the datasheet for the hall sensors? - because maybe this are just defined delay times for signal turn on and off, on the hall sensors datasheet.

It could be, or maybe there is some electronics in the middle that filters the signal.
I don't know, I've never dissected a controller.

Hi all, fist great thanks to mspider65 for his work which convinced me to start my first build on a Scott Spark 760 (full suspended mtb). It's now absolutely fun to ride even in the snow :D. My only variant in the build was to put the esp32 board in a small waterproof (therotically... ) board at the bottom of the seat tube so I did not have to open the motor.
I confirm that I had some trouble to flash the v10 motor firmware even when following the sequence above. After the off/on sequence the program was stuck on 'uploading 100%' forever. I had to interrupt the update, redo an off/on sequence and then it initiated the 'writing xx%' sequence.
Here is the result of my hall calibration.
IMG_20210219_190220.jpg
Still I have one question : how is the 'walk assist' mode triggered, keeping the down button as before does not trigger any assistance. Thanks again

I had a ride today. Power assist mode runs very smooth, about as loud as before I guess. Torque mode is really quite silent, But I not really used it before.
Thanks for your excellent work!

One little issue I had. Bluetooth pairing got lost several times and I had to pair again. I'm not sure if it's an issue with my smartphone. Didn't experienced that before.

Anyone in Europe who has a spare PCB left to sell? I'm about to order the tsdz2 soon.

First Thank you @mspider65 for your brilliant work in this project!
Just to report, with an Android 11 phone I can't update the firmware, app just closes when I press the button to start updating.
I used another phone with Android 10 to update the firmware, it went fine.
Today is raining I can't test drive it, according with the weather forecast tomorrow I will do it.
My hall sensor calibration with a 48V motor and 13S battery:
3b5b34d61ec1f1c231ee9696940037f7.jpg

mspider65 said:
bslbsl said:
Still I have one question : how is the 'walk assist' mode triggered, keeping the down button as before does not trigger any assistance. Thanks again

Strange, nothing has changed on that part.
Try to check the assistance levels for "Walk" mode
What Display do you use?
I have the XH18 display, thanks for your answer. It works now, don't know if it's related but I went in the display params to deactivate the '6 km/h' option and reactivate it, as the walk assist levels were already on their default values in the app. With this display you have to keep the rotating knob down for 1+ sec. which feels a bit unnatural. Excellent, let's ride now!

Hello everyone!

I'm fascinated with this project, but from the electronics side it can be improved even more!
So I asked a friend of mine to design a carrier board for a nrf which incorporates step-down converter and some other important parts. In a result we got a very slim board (15mm x 55mm):

CiftzFd.png

4wq6BFy.png

We plan to order this board but a shipping price is a little too high and some parts are sold in a volume of 100 only. So we thought, that maybe somebody also would like such a board?

Cheers :)

lasercat said:
carrier board for a nrf
I guess you are in the wrong topic... Here it's for ESP32.
And if you really want such a board: PCBWay.com is a good address for small series.

@lasercat, yes, you did a mistake on the thread, please post here instead: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=106346

casainho said:
@lasercat, yes, you did a mistake on the thread, please post here instead: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=106346

Oh, sorry, my fault.

Here are my values with 48v motor and 13s battery.
Had no problems at all flashing with an android 11 phone.
Motor feels great with this firmware, thank you very much!! Screenshot_20210226-155042_TSDZ2_ESP32.jpg

Thanks to those who shared the calibration result, both here and on the Italian forum, I see that the average value of the delay of the Hall sensor is quite constant.

However, there are some that have a fairly pronounced variance, probably due to hall sensors with different sensitivities.

I have therefore released a new version where the calibration, instead of calculating a single average value, calculates the delay for each state of the Hall sensors and a new firmware which then uses the calculated value for each state.

For those who have had quite different absolute values ​​of T Offset in the calibration, this new version will bring benefits but will have to re-calibrate the Hall sensors.

Again everything needs to be updated: Android application, ESP32 firmware and motor controller firmware.

As usual the files are on Github: https://github.com/TSDZ2-ESP32/TSDZ2-ESP32-Wiki/tree/master/bin
  • TSDZ2_ESP32v2.1.8.apk
  • TSDZ2-ESP32-Mainv1.1.6.zip
  • TSDZ2-v11.zip

I think this will probably be the last major version I release as I am satisfied with the result by now and I don't think there are any other major improvements to be made.
The season is improving and now I will use my time mainly to enjoy the bike.

I placed an order with PCBWay for some assembled ESP32 boards as per the Wiki and received this reply from customer services when they audited:

Thank you so much for assembly order.

U4 is out of stock, please kindly advise alternatives.
Can someone answer this question for me?
Thanks!

devboy-greg said:
I placed an order with PCBWay for some assembled ESP32 boards as per the Wiki and received this reply from customer services when they audited:

Thank you so much for assembly order.

U4 is out of stock, please kindly advise alternatives.
Can someone answer this question for me?
Thanks!

U4 is the PCB Temperature sensor.

Strange, the component on their supplier is available.
https://lcsc.com/products/Temperature-Sensors_585.html?q=tmp112

If it's really not available, you have two options:

• Replace it with the "TMP112BIDRLR" or the "TMP102AIDRLR". The second is the same component with a slightly lower accuracy
  • Do not install it. Everything will still work and the only difference will be that you will not see the temperature of the ESP32 board

mspider65 said:
I think this will probably be the last major version I release as I am satisfied with the result by now and I don't think there are any other major improvements to be made.
Thanks very much. I did some more ridings and it's really fantastic!

And now might be the right time for my current project, unifying your ESP software with LCD display.

How can i remove the housing with the controllerboard inside from the motor as shown on attached picture to easely solder and place the PCB BT interface board?

PCBInstalled.jpg

Fully wireless remote for TSDZ2

I just finished my wireless remote for TSDZ2 (that reuses the VLCD5 keypad). This remote communicates using Bluetooth, meaning it can work with TSDZ2-ESP32 board. It also has input for the brake sensors and sends the brake signal also wireless. And the coin battery used lasts for at least 2 years.

This remote board also communicates using wireless ANT+ and with this it also connects to the Garming Edge cycling GPS displays - the remote ENTER button is used the change the page of the Garming Edge display.

With this remote, you can avoid to use a display - you can use the Android phone app and this remote (this remote turns on/off the TSDZ2 motor, change assist level, walk assist and lights). The cost this remote is about 20€ in materials - see here: https://opensourceebike.github.io/remote/build_remote

For this remote to work with TSDZ2-ESP32, his firmware need to be adapted. We are using this remote with our wireless board that has a different microcontroller but the concepts are just the same as TSDZ2-ESP32 - as comparison, we are using an adapted version of TSDZ2-ESP32 Android app. How cool would be to program this remote ENTER button to change / swipe between the two Android app dash boards??

Here my TSDZ2 wireless remote, with a short cable (to connect to the brake sensors) with yellow Higo connector that is water prof:
dn5wLEo.jpg

And now installed on my EBike:
PaaKacu.jpg

The idea is to reuse the VLCD5 remote. The case was 3D printed with black PLA plastic and I used transparent silicone to make the wireless remote fully water prof. There is one CRC2032 battery that will work for at least 2 years and a small wireless board.

Board in place with battery under it (green wires). I blocked the brake wire with a small zip tie, so it will be hard to pull it to much up to damage:

All wires soldered - the green board is the original from VLCD5 remote:

Just enough space for the wires:

Done!! Added a bit of transparent silicone on the LED hole to make it water prof:

mspider65 said:

I had forgotten that there was still the annoying problem of the power delay on restarts.
Here then a new version that solves, or at least significantly improves, the situation.

New v12 version of the controller firmware (only controller fw need to be updated):
https://github.com/TSDZ2-ESP32/TSDZ2-ESP32-Wiki/blob/master/bin/STM8/TSDZ2-v12.zip

For those interested in the changes made, just see the changes made with the last commit on github.

Back