• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

New Turnigy 80-100b Dimensions

mechanix

100 W
I've searched and for the life of me can't find the dimensions for the new motors with the skirt bearings! I have some on backorder and want to order the bearings now so they'll be here when my motors get here. Also, what is the difference between a regular bearing and a skirt bearing? Anyone have a pic of a skirt bearing, because google's not coming up with anything. Thanks!

joel

I'm pretty sure the skirt bearing (Deep groove, radial, large ID, thin section bearing) used in the Turnigy 80-100/80-85 motors is a 6809Z model (Z denotes a single sided metal shield). However you best wait for Bubba, Burtie etc to confirm this... As for the 12mm ID shaft bearings i'm not sure.

If you suspect the standard ones are of dubious quality then whilst buying a replacement made by a reputable manufacturer, you may want to consider a RS/2RS version (single sided Rubber shield/2 sided Rubber shield). Rubber shields tend to keep dust and loose dirt out better than the metal shield versions, however metal shields resist pressure better that might otherwise deform a rubber shield and allow dirt to bypass it - such as spraying with a high pressure hose. As you are unlikely to allow water near your motor i would go with the rubber.

6809RShttp://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit7440
68092RShttp://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/6809RS
6809ZZhttp://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit7495

[images by Bubba]
file.php

file.php

One thing to watch with sealed, rather than shielded, bearings is heat. Sealed bearings absorb a lot more power than shielded bearings and consequently run a a fair bit hotter. This may cost you in terms of efficiency and add considerably to the motor heat load at high rpm.

I'd be wary of fitting a sealed skirt bearing as the extra friction from the seal will be considerable. We know that these skirt bearings get warm even without a seal, so my guess is that the heat build up with a seal might be unacceptable at high rpm.

Jeremy

mechanix said:
I've searched and for the life of me can't find the dimensions for the new motors with the skirt bearings! I have some on backorder and want to order the bearings now so they'll be here when my motors get here. Also, what is the difference between a regular bearing and a skirt bearing? Anyone have a pic of a skirt bearing, because google's not coming up with anything. Thanks!

joel

Those pictures are from an 80-85. I do have the newer 80-100, but have not taken it apart. You may want to wait until you get your motor before you order bearings. If I am remembering correctly this 80-85 had larger bearing in the front and smaller in the rear. Someone that bought one after I did reported that the bearings were the same in the front and rear, so there may have been some design changes.

Bubba

The 80-100 and the 80-85 motors I have taken apart recently contained:

3 x shaft bearings type 6801Z
1 x skirt bearing type 6809Z

Repacements are fairly easy to find on Ebay.
Hope this helps.

Burtie.

boostjuice said:
I'm pretty sure the skirt bearing (Deep groove, radial, large ID, thin section bearing) used in the Turnigy 80-100/80-85 motors is a 6809Z model (Z denotes a single sided metal shield). However you best wait for Bubba, Burtie etc to confirm this... As for the 12mm ID shaft bearings i'm not sure.

If you suspect the standard ones are of dubious quality then whilst buying a replacement made by a reputable manufacturer, you may want to consider a RS/2RS version (single sided Rubber shield/2 sided Rubber shield). Rubber shields tend to keep dust and loose dirt out better than the metal shield versions, however metal shields resist pressure better that might otherwise deform a rubber shield and allow dirt to bypass it - such as spraying with a high pressure hose. As you are unlikely to allow water near your motor i would go with the rubber.

In mine I found (inner) bearings from Koyo. They can't be that bad as they are an OEM supplier for the 4 big Japanese motorcycle manufacturers.
Might be a different story with the skirt bearing, VSOS 6809Z.
Motor is a Turnigy 80-100B, C80100-130, delivered in March 2011.

Back