new wiki for basic specs on aftermarket mid-drive motors

This wiki is a simple table to catalog all the possible mid-drive motors that can be fitted to muscle bikes (for e-bike conversion). The idea is to make it easy for novice builders to see the options laid out and quickly form a short-list. I did a lot of digging to get it in its current state, but it needs more work. I'd appreciate anyone who contributes more data to it.

At this point I'm a bit surprised how many mid-drives are chain drive. I really don't see any advantage to maintaining a 2nd chain which then adds noise and throws more filth around. Are people doing chain drive to avoid bottom bracket disassembly? Or is there a cooling advantage?

xtinctionRebeller said:
At this point I'm a bit surprised how many mid-drives are chain drive.
it's cheap. parts are available everywhere.

all these devices are cost-driven for parts selection, especially for the common chinese stuff.

it's not about what is better for a given purpose, but rather how cheap it can be made and still manage to work at all. :(

when you get into some of the higher end drives, you may find gates belts or direct gears, even epicyclic gearing.

but some of the high power systems will use chains because for their size, weight and maintenance and other factors, you can put significantly more power thru one than the other methods, and they can be more efficient (around 2% ish per stage).

Back