Newb Question - Adding a USB Port to an eBike

Jaded

100 mW
Howdy y'all, I've been a bit of a lurker on this forum for quite some time now :oops: but this is my first post here lol. Apologies if there's somewhere I'm supposed to introduce myself here first- I didn't see that, but if that's a thing please just point me in that direction & I'll make a post there. I'm actually working on my first eBike now & have been considering making a build log on here to share & keep track of the process...but I thought I'd start slow & see if anyone in the community here could answer a smaller question that I have about adding a USB port to an eBike setup that doesn't have one built in.

So, at this point my plan is to get a motor & battery together in a kit, probably from EM3ev. It looks like they use XT90-S connectors to connect the battery to the motor controller. I'm not super-savvy when it comes to soldering or crimping - I've mostly only ever done that for small repairs to lights & things of that nature & often under the guidance of someone who knew what they were doing more than I did, so I apologize if some of this is reaallly basic stuff lol.

If I got one of those DC-USB converters I've seen around on eBay & Aliexpress (like the one shown in the first image below for reference), and I got a set of XT90-S connectors with pigtails (second image), could I just connect the pigtails on the XT90-S connectors together with the + & - wires from the DC-USB converter in order to create an easy to use USB port on my eBike, that I have the option of using (or not using) in-line between my battery & motor? (image 3 is a diagram of what I'm describing)

Again, I realize this is a super basic question but I just want to make sure I understand how this works correctly before I move onto some of the more complicated stuff lol. Any advice or support is super appreciated. :D

dc-usb.png
xt90s.png
dc-usb.png

Can anyone just let me know if I'm misunderstanding any basic principles of how this works here, or if I'm on the right track?

Looks fine. Does your battery have a switch? If not, the converter will always be draining a small amount of power.

Welcome to the forum!

I wired in a 12 volt DC/DC converter and mounted a cigarette lighter socket. This gives me the option of using powering other 12volt items such as a air compressor as well as using automotive USB adaptors. Just unplug the adaptor when not in use to avoid draining the battery.

Awesome, that's all great to know, thanks!

Yeah, I've actually seen some decent USB-powered air compressors & I usually carry a few backup batteries/power banks on tours, but I thought it'd be really great to be able to draw power from the giant battery on my eBike if needed. I actually don't have a battery yet. I'm about to order one, probably from EM3ev. I'm working on converting my Surly Disc Trucker so I can schlep more stuff up hills & hopefully cover more miles each day while worrying a little less about terrain penalties. It's actually going to be more of a ground-up build at this point because I had to replace my frame...got hit by a car in the worst wreck of my life. Set back my timeline a fair bit, but I'm glad it didn't set it back permanently. :? Anyway, I'm excited to be working on this now. It's a plan that's been in the making for awhile.

E-HP said:
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks!! I've been reading so much useful stuff on here for quite some time now, thought it was worth dipping my toes in deeper. :lol:

Back