No throttle volts

Skylab

100 µW
I am getting 4.43V between red and blue, and red and green at the plug going up to the throttle (36V e-bike ), but no change in either when the throttle is twisted. This is with the plugs connected,, with the plugs apart, I only read 0.3mV from red to both black(blue) and green,,, the bike does not work!,, where on the circuit card do I start looking for problems ?
I have changed the Hall effect sensor

Attachments

• IMG_7226.jpeg
    IMG_7226.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7225.jpeg
    IMG_7225.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Did the system ever work correctly, or is this the first assembly and test?

If it did work before, what exactly happened between the time it did, and the time it didn't?

Knowing these things may help us help you find out why it's broken, and so what is broken, and what to fix.

Which pads on the board do each of the wires you are testing go to?

If you've changed the sensor (in the throttle?), which pins on it do each of the wires you're testing go to?

And which specific sensor was it originally, and what was it replaced with?

Did the system ever work correctly, or is this the first assembly and test?

If it did work before, what exactly happened between the time it did, and the time it didn't?

Knowing these things may help us help you find out why it's broken, and so what is broken, and what to fix.

Which pads on the board do each of the wires you are testing go to?

If you've changed the sensor (in the throttle?), which pins on it do each of the wires you're testing go to?

And which specific sensor was it originally, and what was it replaced with?
Thanks for reply, bike fell over and stopped working, if I short 5V andSP pins on card, wheel turns full speed, connections from cct board to throttle side of connector meter out ok

The usual problems for impact damage to a throttle is dislodging the magnets in it. If so, you'd either have to figure out how they were originally installed and get them glued back in that way, in the correct polarity and rotation, or just replace the entire throttle (usually much easier).

So...again:

which wires go to which pins on the controller?

which wires go to which leads on the sensor?

What sensor number was originally installed?

What sensor number was used to replace it?

and a new one: is the new sensor facing the same way as the old?

The wiring appears to be correct, but if that's a 3144 hall sensor, it is not an analog output, it is just on/off, and won't work as a throttle.

One random google-found link with explanation
"When a magnet is near the sensor, it will output a logic low; otherwise it will output a logic high."

You need one that's the same kind as the original, the "honeywell ss49E" (doesn't have to be the honeywell brand, just the 49E version, to have the same output response to the magnet that throttle has installed in it).
Like the one used in this project

BTW, if it still doesn't work with the correct sensor, there is probably something wrong with the alignment of magnet and sensor, since you've already verified the continuity of the connections, and the controller does correctly respond to a voltage on it's signal input.

Thankfully your magnet appears molded in place (many aren't and are very hard to fix if they come loose), so an alignment problem may simply mean too great a distance between them (or not enough), or a lateral displacement (so sensor isn't parallel to the magnet, etc).

Yes. The small face is normally the sensitive side, and usually faces the magnet. All you need is 5v and ground to the appropriate pins (noted in that linked article in my earlier post). This type of sensor normally outputs about 2.5v with no magnet, and goes higher or lower depending on the strength and polarity of the magnet. The one in the throttle is probably polarized along it's length from N to S.

You can also test the new sensor to see if it's working (even though it's the wrong kind of output).

Also, note that there are places (especially some shops on aliexpress) that sell either recycled or counterfeit parts that may be marked as one thing but either not be functional or actually be a completely different part....so be careful where you source from.

Plugged sensor directly into inlet plug on controller, used throttle magnet, and an external one,, works fine,, ( broke a lead on sensor, 😢,so new one on order 🤬!),, so now just thinking intermittent broken wire or connection ,,, will replace cable while waiting on parts,,
Thanks heaps for your input.
🍻,
Sky

It's good at least that you know it will work once you have the right sensor. :)

Unfortunatley teh leads on these things are pretty fragile.

Back