Nucular Electronics owner's thread (setup infos, FW updates, links etc.)

After a few weeks of trials and contrarily to what I said above (I had the phenomenon mixed with a bms bad tuning), fine balancing the cells at the end of the charge requires to reduce the charge current manually, from the "converter" menu. For me doing steps like 24 a 12a 6a 3a 1a will give a perfect result, matching the bms limits. But if I stay at 24 a, no way to reach the same max voltage.

It's not a big issue though, as doing this step down in a 15 minutes period is enough to balance almost completely.

Vasiliy is there a parameter that I missed allowing the same result automatically, while staying with a 24a "battery max" amps setting in the converter menu ?

icherouveim said:
Do you get this range with your wife on board or alone ?

Two days ago, coming back from Paris to home, I had the opportunity to drive 60km with wife onboard, slightly uphill (+300m) and a sustained 50kmh wind coming from the front. Started with 82.5v and arrived with 73v (panasonic 18650 pf 20s 28p) with a max speed around 80 kmh and cautious accelerations.

I don't know if that's standard efficiency but for me it's a totally huge discovery. Countryside powaaaaa

Tested controller recently with BHT big block motor (similar to LMX motor) Works well.
Autodetect went fine, it spins backward/forward at full speed - be careful with chain drives)
Provides great throttle control without any adjustments. Currently is cold and raining so no longer test for now.

Hi Vasiliy

A question about improving 2wd mode

Until now I can't "WOT" without seeing the front wheel overspinning. The rear wheel pushes hard enough to lift the front, front tire loses grip and suddenly spins way faster than the rear, which is quite dangerous.

Is there a way to have both wheels spinning exactly at the same speed, based on rear wheel speed ? It would allow more watts to the ground, IMO. I guess it's a software question, isn't it ?

VasiliSk said:
Yes, but not sure how soon this can be done. Easiest way for now - lower phase current
VasiliSk said:
It is planned

It would be nice to have a list with all planned features, and if there is a new FW available you could add a note like "done in FWxxxx" to the list.
Quasi similar to what grin tech does for theire CA.

btw: i did a FW update on my display and 12F from V0.5 to V0.6
Everything worked very well and intuitiv, expect that i idiot downloaded the FW from the russian language wikidot and so the display was in russia after the update :oops: I could fix it fortunately by doing everything again with the english files :wink:

For sure, discussing about ideas to make this beauty even more beautiful, and seeing the good ones become real, would be very very attracting

Subscribed!
Still using Adaptto Max-e daily set at 12kW peak power and have been loving the charge through controller, the integrated BMS and programming on the fly features but knowing that there is now a possible substitute with almost the same characteristics makes me happy.
Is the 12F the same as Max-e? I mean I can ride at 10kW continuous around 100km/h for many kilometers without issues. Is it the same with the 12F or 24F is needed to do the same?
Is there the possibility to start up the controller in eco mode with throttle input (no PAS) password protected and without the possibility to access anything but just ride in eco (250W) mode?

I would like to connect small bike light directly to the display. Should I use USB output? How much power can I get? Can I turn the light on by enabling USB output?

upek said:
I would like to connect small bike light directly to the display. Should I use USB output? How much power can I get? Can I turn the light on by enabling USB output?

1Ah? (usb don't know)

here you have + info: https://electrotransport.ru/ussr/index.php?topic=50107.828#topmsg

I had to look for a new battery charger (48V PSU) for the Nucular controller because the one i was using for Adaptto before did not work.
Back then i have built it into a case together with the coil, but it turned out that PSU + Coil does not work with the Nucular (at least at the moment there is no support for coil charging). The controller starts to charge, but then it immediatly does decrease the power further and further.

So i bought a Flatpack S which is one of the best units you can get these days when it comes to power density and size.
When i was looking for a shell in order to make the whole thing more durable for transport, i have found one at the moment when i was looking at my blown MaxE!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I decided to add some additional caps on PSU side (red ones and the blue) simply because i wanted to lower the stress (current ripple) on the few ones the PSU only has on the output, and the Adaptto coil also came with a bank of caps.
As the PSU was designed for stady state usage, i have added glue between the larger parts (coils) and other parts which did wobble.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Very nice :thumb:

I doubt you needed that extra capacitor though since server PSUs have a pretty high switching frequency.

eee291 said:
I doubt you needed that extra capacitor though since server PSUs have a pretty high switching frequency.
Yes, but the controller will do a step up conversion and so the caps on the output probably will see a lot more voltage ripple as they typically would.

VasiliSk said:
Most ripple current comes for controller caps, PSU sees almost dc current

Thanks for clarifying.
What i noticed is when i was charging with Adaptto at 1600W, the charging lead (2 x 5mm²) did heat up alot more as it does now which would make sense now.
So the thing with the caps was kinda overcareful work, but it cannot harm, right?

madin88 said:
I had to look for a new battery charger (48V PSU) for the Nucular controller because the one i was using for Adaptto before did not work.
Back then i have built it into a case together with the coil, but it turned out that PSU + Coil does not work with the Nucular (at least at the moment there is no support for coil charging). The controller starts to charge, but then it immediatly does decrease the power further and further.

So i bought a Flatpack S which is one of the best units you can get these days when it comes to power density and size.
When i was looking for a shell in order to make the whole thing more durable for transport, i have found one at the moment when i was looking at my blown MaxE!

Didn´t the other PSU work with nucular, or was it just because of the coil?
I am considering one just like it, but I want it to work with the nucular controller.

madin88 said:

hey Madin88

what was the problem with your Adaptto PSU (? Did you use an Eaton ?)
I do not own an nucular now But would be a pain if my eaton wouldnt work with my 15s (54 Volt)Pack cause i built it into the Frame and the eaton measurements just fitted perfect.

So with the fatpack you charge your pack directly or via Nucular to get the charging stats then ?

greet notger

Will this have a temperature input for battery temps so we can read battery temps on display and also stop charge if battery temps read too high for safety to avoid fires?

notger said:
hey Madin88

what was the problem with your Adaptto PSU (? Did you use an Eaton ?)
There was no problem with the Eaton PSU itself. The reason why i did buy a new one was due to the fact that i have built the Eaton into a case together with the coil harness.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/538/iEanWr.jpg
So with the fatpack you charge your pack directly or via Nucular to get the charging stats then ?
Via controller (battery is 20s)

Offroader said:
Will this have a temperature input for battery temps so we can read battery temps on display and also stop charge if battery temps read too high for safety to avoid fires?

Regarding informations provided so far, the BMS will have input for temperature sensor(s).

I am using the controller now for a few hunderd km and so far i am very happy - especially in terms of performance and efficiency it works well.
What i really like is the "auto charge" function. This means that you simply can connect the PSU and controller starts to charge - without the need to enter a "charge mode", or something like that.
Also the throttle disables automatically when the PSU is connected (no matter if it is on -> a voltage on the output, or if it is turned off). Bravo!

Even tough there are a few bugs / wishes i have to the developer, and so i created a list.
Some things are already known and certainly will be fixed in future firmware:

- auto charge does only work once.
If i disconnect and reconnect the PSU, it does not start to charge anymore. The contoller needs a restart and then it works again - for one time.

- the motor makes a buzzing noise if you apply brake at stand still, and sometimes, with the wheel off the ground (during setup) the motor spins very slowly forward (when alternating between throttle and brake)

- speed limits do not apply in FOC mode, or generally a speed limit in kmh for each power mode profile would be desired

- power modes cannot be toggled between 1-2-3 with one button, only 1-2 or 2-3

- controller does cut out if phase amps are set higher than 180A (on my particular midmotor)

- the option for an "auto on" function without the need to press the button on the backside of the display when the controller is powered up (connected to the battery). That would be useful for everyone who has a keyswitch with a contactor, or antispark circuit.

- display statistic screens are a bit buggy

- at high field weakening currents together with speed limits past >100% (if motor RPM higher than battery V x kV), the controller goes into regen if the throttle will be released quick at high speeds (i have seen -1000W in this moment).
I found this quite dangerous when a car was driving close behind me because as this short regenerative braking reduces the speed quite sharp, but my brake lights won't turn on in this case.
Slowly realeasing the throttle helps to avoid that, but if you forget to think about that it definitely could bring you into a dangerous situation if a vehicle is driving close behind you.

Offroader battery temp. sensors only in bms, we are working on it.

- auto charge does only work once.
Will be fixed, its simple safety atm

- the motor makes a buzzing noise
Partially fixed in v0.7 dev software already

speed limits do not apply in FOC mode
its not applied in throttle mode -torque, you need speed+torque or speed. Will be fixed too

- power modes cannot be toggled
Speed scroll button was added, don't remember which software but there should be option in display, also planned + and - buttons
Also added configurable inputs in controller, can be used to turn off motor or throttle too.

- controller does cut out if phase amps
Needs more sw tuning for mid motors, in v0.7 dev added FOC current PID regulator configuration, maybe you can tune it to get max output.

- the option for an "auto on"
Controller automatically turns on if power applied, but if it's capacitors is not discharged this may not happen. You can shorten key pin in display to ground, this will add more sensitivity for voltage on power-up.

- display statistic screens are a bit buggy
Not a bit;) Working more on functionality than statistics atm, as it is less relevant.

- at high field weakening currents
When motor exceeds battery voltage and you release throttle, controller tries to safely remove weakening current to avoid hard current rush on mosfet diodes. This also leads to some braking till motor voltage will be same as battery. I will rework stop signal output logic so it lights-up when there any regen current.

Thank you Vasili for your quick response. Kudos! Looking forward to the release of V.07 then :thumb:

VasiliSk said:
- power modes cannot be toggled
Speed scroll button was added, don't remember which software but there should be option in display, also planned + and - buttons
On V0.6 it does not work even if i have set it up to do so (in display). It only works if i set 1-2 or 2-3, but not between 1-2-3.
- the option for an "auto on"
Controller automatically turns on if power applied, but if it's capacitors is not discharged this may not happen. You can shorten key pin in display to ground, this will add more sensitivity for voltage on power-up.
Even if the main caps are discharged (down to 0.3V), i have to press the key to turn it on after power was applied.
It would be nice to have a setting in the software for that, but is there a tutorial how to shorten the key pin in display to ground (i guess you are talking about the push button on the backside?)?
- at high field weakening currents
When motor exceeds battery voltage and you release throttle, controller tries to safely remove weakening current to avoid hard current rush on mosfet diodes. This also leads to some braking till motor voltage will be same as battery. I will rework stop signal output logic so it lights-up when there any regen current.

There is a thread about field weakening here in ES and one guy mentioned that:

"field weakening current", or more accurately, Id (flux-creating current) doesn't directly represent torque.
The torque equation for IPM is this one. Note that if you zero Iq (torque-producing current), Torque goes to zero.

Wouldn't that mean if the controller would continue to apply field weakening current as long as motor voltage is above battery voltage, that it should coast freely?
With Id > 0A, the reverse voltage or BEMF could be "hold down" to a safe level, and with Iq = 0A the motor would not produce ANY torque so it should coast freely. I am not an expert in in this matter, but thats how i understand it.

What does the controller actually doing if throttle will be released very slowly? Because in this case the unwanted regenerative braking does not occur - it just happes if the throttle will be released quick.
I have the meaning that any braking when releasing the throttle is definitely no good thing if that happens unexpected (to a driver who isn't aware or used to it).

Back