Nuvinci N171 ACS freewheel removal

jottoh12

1 µW
Wow do Iwish I read this before installing the wrong part on my N171. I have installed an ACS freewheel (that has internal splines rather than a four lug removal tool pattern) and need to remove it. I spun the freewheel on and rode it around the block just once and "felt" the freewheel fully seat. The NuVinci tool does not fit this freewheel and I cannot believe I did not consider his before installing. I have tried to lightly tap the freewheel body counterclockwise with a punch and am stymied why this isnt working yet must admit the axle turning one way and the hub splines another may not have enough drag to allow this technique to work. I do not mind destroying the freewheel and just want to replace it with a white industries ENO. Anyone tried this removal or has any ideas I am all ears. Thanks for your thoughts!

I have installed an ACS freewheel ( internal splines rather than a four lug removal tool pattern) on a N171 and need to remove it. When installing, I spun the freewheel on and rode it around the block just once and "felt" the freewheel fully seat. The NuVinci tool does not fit this freewheel and there is but 1mm clearance betwixt the Nuvinci and the ACS removal splines. I have tried to lightly tap the freewheel body counterclockwise with a punch and am stymied why this isn't working yet must admit the axle turning one way and the hub splines another may not have enough drag to allow this technique to work. I do not mind destroying the freewheel and plan to replace it with a white industries ENO. Before I do something really drastic I thought I would ask the forum if anyone tried this ACS removal or has any idea. I am "all ears" and thanks for your thoughts!

I think I had the same problem a number of years ago, so don't quite remember all the details, but pretty sure I either destroyed or took the freewheel apart and used pliers or a pipe wrench on it. But I think there was a secondary issue because the N171 also has an internal freewheel. I purchased a special tool from Nuvinci that works along with the four lug freewheel removal tool for removal of an ENO, etc.

There's a pair of special tools for taking a normal 4-spline freewheel off a NuVinci. The 4-prong remover has a large hole through the center to allow access through the middle for a tool that holds the freewheel thread so you can turn against it.

Whether your situation is really difficult is a matter of whether the "inside" N171 tool will fit through the ACS Crossfire spline. There is no question that you will have to take the freewheel apart and grab it on the outside with a pipe wrench or something along those lines.

Next time you'll remember to use a regular 4-spline freewheel.

This is the tool that Fallbrook sells for the NuVincie:

Freewheel Removal Tool w/Socket
BK17-SVTL-P110-00A

I couldn't get the image to copy here, but you can see it on page 7 of their parts catalog:

http://www.fallbrooktech.com/sites/default/files/videos/N171_2008%20Parts%20Catalog_web.pdf

I just wanted to add that there is a way to remove the freewheel assembly from the Nuvinci N171 hub. This method will remove the nuvinci freehub slotted adapted along with the freewheel. Then after it is removed you will have to unthread the adapter out of the freewheel. EcoCycles used to sell a remover for the adapter made from the OE Nuvinci stub, but I think they’re gone also. I made one that was fashioned from a 1/2” thick steel spacer I had laying around. I used a thin blade on a hand grinder and a handfile to fashion two ridges that fit into the nuvinci freehub adapter then clamped in a vise. I’ll attach a pic so you get the idea.

Ok now the procedure.
There is a C-clip that secures the nuvinci freehub adapter to the nuvinci freehub assy. Unless you are running a track cog, the c-clip will be obscured by the freewheel body. So you will have to force the assy away from the hub which will over-ride the C-clip forcing it out of its slot. So far I have done this 4 times on the same hub and not damaged anything and been able to reuse the c-clip.
Just take two large flat blade screwdrivers and drive them between the body of the hub and the nuvinci freehub adapter that the freewheel is threaded on to. The screwdrivers need to be 180 degrees opposed from each other. Tap them little by little alternating back and forth. The blade will wedge and eventually over power the C-clip and push the freehub adapter off the freehub. I know this sounds scary but it works like a charm.

Attachments

• 2033A5CD-13D1-499D-88F9-BC9D128C0415.jpeg
    2033A5CD-13D1-499D-88F9-BC9D128C0415.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 21D793D0-1130-4834-AAB9-137DFED37799.jpeg
    21D793D0-1130-4834-AAB9-137DFED37799.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • 139DB178-BF31-4D2B-AEE8-8253BB933003.jpeg
    139DB178-BF31-4D2B-AEE8-8253BB933003.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 84371F72-FCD6-4361-8C4D-7BCEED3E16A5.jpeg
    84371F72-FCD6-4361-8C4D-7BCEED3E16A5.jpeg