On my A2B Metro, Which type of tool is required to remove and replace the freewheel?

adh247

10 mW
On my A2B Metro, Which type of took is required to remove and replace the freewheel?
by adh247 » Dec 06 2020 1:52pm

Hi guys! Ive had This A2B Metro going one year now! Whoever owned it before kept in great condition, but just like an old barn find car, you still need to tender to it every once in a while. So now this this is my daily rider, I get to be the lucky guy to repair it!
HAHAHA! Anyways, Thanks for helping me out once again, I'm really starting to get feel of this bike.
Its become clear that my freewheel is bad and needs to be replaced. The only reason I haven't tackled the job yet is because I have run into a couple of roadblocks. The first roadblock is money. I have a pretty strict budget due to Corona a month other things. Regardless my second roadblock is that I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to freewheels, So i am having a hard time trying to find the right one among other things. The 3rd roadblock is the freewheel removal too! I seem to be having an issue over which one is the right one for my freewheel.

Regarding the freewheel tool itself, I have checked the manual and it states: (Freewheel tool: Part Tool FR-1)
Yet when I look up freewheel tools, They are marked by size. So which size is it?

As far as the freewheel goes, The manual states:
(Freewheel Long Yi LY1107, 7-speed, 11/28t)

So because this bike is a good ten years old, Its still in good condition. I'm not looking for anything thats top of the line, I just mainly need something that works. I wasn't sure or not if there was anything new etc that I should be looking out for. I've tried my hand at looking online\researching to see if I could just find a good replacement myself, but it seems like there is so many types and brands to choose from that knowing my I'll totally end up buying the wrong Freewheel & Tool or something. So if you happen to see any on eBay that you know would work for me, It would help more than you can imagine!

I am completely fine with going with a generic alternative freewheel because money is so tight right now, So I was hoping to find one on eBay or Amazon for a good price. I should also add that because I am disabled I am not able to do a crazy amount of pedaling to begin with.

Here are the two pictures in the manual from where I found this information:

FreeWheel: https://ibb.co/tsZwCzx

Tool: https://ibb.co/BjFbrH3

I also wanted to say thanks again. Without the help you guys have given me in the past, I dont know if I could have done some of it without you guys and I just wanted to say thanks again. So Thank You.
Anthony

Get the freewheel tool that has a big hole through it, like 15mm rather than 10mm. That's necessary to clear the hub motor axle.

What he said 👆

Most Shimano compatible ones will work, and you could bore the hole out bigger yourself if you can't by it premade that way.

The big thing is don't get a cassette locking tool by accident. Or double check you actually have a freewheel before you order. The first one is for a freewheel (just a sample picture and not necessarily the one you need).. It's hard to tell apart. Don't order the one with alignment pin by accident... Only works on regular hollow bike axles. It does look like it came stock with a freewheel.

ParkToolFreewheelRemover_22997_C_Primary.jpeg
719H2pTfm1L._AC_SX425_ (1).jpg
71Fo1DeuraL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

So would this one work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Park-Tool-FR-1-3-Bike-Freewheel-Remover-fits-Shimano-5-6-7-8-9-10-Speed-1-2/222153495484?epid=2256001580&hash=item33b96153bc:g:Yo8AAOSwNrNdKotZ

adh247 said:
So would this one work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Park-Tool-FR-1-3-Bike-Freewheel-Remover-fits-Shimano-5-6-7-8-9-10-Speed-1-2/222153495484?epid=2256001580&hash=item33b96153bc:g:Yo8AAOSwNrNdKotZ

That’s the one.

108567-4_8b84eced-75b3-4d76-8e28-3233ca8c438c_512x219.jpg

Hey there, just reread a little, what exactly is going bad with the freewheel?
If it's the chain jumping in the high gears, maybe be ready to change the chain too, they get invisibly worn too, and can still jump on a new freewheel.

Back