OpenSource Handheld Controller (E-go similar)

Briefly: What is the smallest, most compact unit that will connect to a FVT esc?

I'm not highly programming literate, and looking for internals that will connect to a FVT esc (and I guess a VESC for future builds). I found an arduino setup or similar before that I think will do this, but can't seem to find it again... Is the gt2b the one that is best currently? I am after just the electronics package that is cheap, small, light and can be charged externally (lipo best). A plug-n-play would be ideal, soldering is also fine, just trying to avoid the programming. Buying a specific list and assembling is best, but pulling a gt2b apart also works. After cheap, compact, rugged and reliable.

Cheers guys, got some ideas I want to play with. Will upload all plans open source again.

HEY BADWOLFY,

To start your remote looks FRAKING AMAZING
Would you be willing to make available or send me your solidmodels? My 3D printers wants thicker walls to print it, Im not having the easiest time converting the STL's back into a solidmodel in solidworks.

Id really really really appreciate it.

BadWolf said:
Hey guys,

I've finally uploaded the new version to thingiverse (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:922378).
Unfortunately I haven't been able to spend as much time on it as I would like to, in other words: you still have to desolder the usb-jack and move it.

Some of the updates are:
- Original screws to hold the case together (now you only need to supply 2 x 3m screws + nuts for the pcb and potentiometer)
- Using existing powerswitch with a printed extension
- Can accommodate the included 800mah battery
- Hole for the bind button
- A few mm slimmer then v1 and with lots rounded edges for a more comfortable grip

IMG_20150712_191054_preview_featured.jpg

BadWolf said:
Dashmista, I'm sending you a pm now with the solid file.

If you wouldn't mind sharing a link that would be great! I too have difficulty with the wall thickness and was unable to get the rigidity I needed without making modifications.

jamesonotc said:
BadWolf said:
Dashmista, I'm sending you a pm now with the solid file.

If you wouldn't mind sharing a link that would be great! I too have difficulty with the wall thickness and was unable to get the rigidity I needed without making modifications.

The solid file format Badwolf is using is called ".123DX" Its a proprietary file format to a certain software and there aren't any conversion softwares out there that recognize this format and can make it into anything useful. Your best bet is to download software to convert the STL into a solid object file and then edit this file. But it'll obviously still be a featureless solid body and making things thicker isn't the most feasible.

Your best bet is using this controller as is and printing it with a stronger filament, im having it made in taulman bridge nylon my fingers are crossed it has adequate strength.

We gotta just be thankful for a nice design that we can use until a better solution is created....Im working on a NRF24L01+ and Arduino Micro remote thatll be really really slim. Will let you guys know more when i have more to show.

If you are printing it fine, you can try adding some resin (stuff used with fibreglass) over the printed parts. Just mix a bit up and brush it over, let it partly dry and do it again if you are worried. Works a charm, I just did this to my controller after watching the pieces bounce away from me as I slid along the ground behind them. Was fun.

dashimsta said:
The Golden Gun Remote is made with only the finest of French Golds!

No. The Golden Gun Remote is the one remote to rule all. Mined from the mountains of Moria and forged with the fires of Mount Doom does its magic embed it with qualities to stand up to the strongest of acids and timeless honor.

chuttney1 said:
dashimsta said:
The Golden Gun Remote is made with only the finest of French Golds!

No. The Golden Gun Remote is the one remote to rule all. Mined from the mountains of Moria and forged with the fires of Mount Doom does its magic embed it with qualities to stand up to the strongest of acids and timeless honor.

My precious :mrgreen:

I wonder why this thread keeps dying? One would think that a handheld controller is one of the most important parts of an electric skateboard because if it fails you have a good chance of falling and every time we fall we can get hurt.

Are there other newer threads on Controllers or is it just not a priority to the community?

I know Jacobbloy was working on a Wii Nunchuck with 2.4ghz for VESC possibly any ESC. I started selling this one recently it's a much smaller form factor. Quite nice actually http://diyelectricskateboard.com/product/torqueboards-2-4ghz-mini-remote-controller/. Of course, I still want to make a custom one but this will do for now.

There's also the GT2B with Badwolf 3d printed enclosure.

Also the Generic Remote Controller on Amazon which seems like it works for any ESC. I ordered one so will report back if it works out well. http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Electric-skateboard-Remote-Controller/dp/B00WQP6560/ref=pd_sim_sbs_468_21?ie=UTF8&refRID=08HXT0F6VTX04EG3MP6G

i also bought one of those generic controllers, its in the states already a few days out on arriving will report back also.

Torque nice find on those "micro" 2.4ghz remotes. For the last year and a half ive been trying to find a source for said controllers because I always saw them being sold with micro RC cars but never found them sold separately (Including a receiver) the receivers were always built into the cars themselves, Great contribution!

dashimsta said:
i also bought one of those generic controllers, its in the states already a few days out on arriving will report back also.

Torque nice find on those "micro" 2.4ghz remotes. For the last year and a half ive been trying to find a source for said controllers because I always saw them being sold with micro RC cars but never found them sold separately (Including a receiver) the receivers were always built into the cars themselves, Great contribution!

I just received my generic controller. It's pretty nice.. Nice and small too about the same as the 2.4ghz micro controller.

Yeah, I know.. Sucked.. Took a while.. lol

They're actually pretty nice.

Good to hear Torque!

I'm wanting to get a new remote up and running with lipo batteries, but the gt2B is out of stock and has been for a while, what's the next best option? After something cheap compact and reliable, the form factor doesn't matter as I will be designing a new case for it anyway.

buy one of torque boards micro-controllers, you know it works and its obviously small. The generic one does work i have less than an hour run time on it, but it does work nicely thus far, but itll take you 2/3 weeks to get one.

hi guys, so i have gotten the nunchuk_mod remote that vedder and i worked on (https://github.com/vedderb/nunchuk_rf_hw) to work with the wiiceiver/uno/nano basically this gives the the option for those who don't use the VESC to still use this remote and or use the VESC with ppm but have the arduino receiver to do other functions.

the pcbs simply slots into a old wired nunchuk case, or any other case with any type of 10k pot so trigger slider or joystick.

the remote will function the same as a wired or nyko kama with the wiiceiver.

code https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bym9XrdeViekamhqVHphRmpwdWc/view?usp=sharing
next step is to port code for the remote from chibios to arduino for the stm32f103 line but won't finish this until i have usb bridge from the remote to the esc working (code almost finished)

Why did the development of GT2B controller housings just die after Badwolf V2?

We have more we can improve on, such as not having to desolder and move the USB port, ergonomics, overall structure! I've had quite a few V2's crack from use and drops.

Anyone have any ideas what it should look like? i have a 3d printer and solidworks and will publish all files for everyone if i can get some help.

dashimsta said:
Why did the development of GT2B controller housings just die after Badwolf V2?

We have more we can improve on, such as not having to desolder and move the USB port, ergonomics, overall structure! I've had quite a few V2's crack from use and drops.

Anyone have any ideas what it should look like? i have a 3d printer and solidworks and will publish all files for everyone if i can get some help.
I made my own redesign for the GT2B a while back for a school project. I should have shared this with the community a while ago... Here's a link to the site I made for the project. Stl files are on https://sites.google.com/site/enclosureredesign/home/3d-printing

It isn't as ergonomic as I wanted it to be since I simplified the design for machining. It also doesn't incorporate my slide puck idea yet that I talk about on the Homepage.https://sites.google.com/site/enclosureredesign/home

I can provide CAD Models also upon request.

Back