OpenSource Handheld Controller (E-go similar)

yes, I am looking for something shorter (especially that does not look like a gun). This is taken from a French guy who printed the Badwolf v1. Enclosure looks dope; just a bit too much over the hand

150607025954206914.jpg

dirkdiggler said:
What is the motor used for on the E-go remote?
file.php

Lower left, next to the battery.

It is used for vibration. When the board hits 25% battery life left, the remote will vibrate once to notify you. Also, if there is a board failure the remote will vibrate 3 times and the LED flashes 3 times on the remote.

It really is a great controller set up. I would highly suggest using it as a benchmark for the open source. The spring loaded potentiometer is great to use.

okp said:
yes, I am looking for something shorter (especially that does not look like a gun). This is taken from a French guy who printed the Badwolf v1. Enclosure looks dope; just a bit too much over the hand

I have the same problem. Its already illegal to ride my board where I live and I want to avoid having a gunlike remote in my hands drawing much more unneeded attention. I tried to redesign the GT2B, but failed. The problem is the trigger mechanism is pretty bulky and it has to mounted above your finger for proper motion.
file.php

Attachments

• Knipsel.JPG
    Knipsel.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 2,143
DodgyBob said:
I have the same problem. Its already illegal to ride my board where I live and I want to avoid having a gunlike remote in my hands drawing much more unneeded attention. I tried to redesign the GT2B, but failed. The problem is the trigger mechanism is pretty bulky and it has to mounted above your finger for proper motion.

What if the trigger is worked by the thumb making the GT2B more like a joystick?

You guys seen the model I did for the gt2E? Seems like it would suit your ideas.

https://grabcad.com/library/gt2e-controller-housing-for-electric-skateboard-1

Incidently, anyone been using it much and have feedback for me? If so, shoot me a pm please!

Yeah your model is very nice also, but I would like to have the battery + USB plug intact. I really like your idea of using the second potmeter! I might have an other go at my cadmodel with this if i can find some time. For now I am going with the normal GT2B and hope Bruno finishes his remote soon.

torqueboards said:
I was thinking about that also. There are also arduino joystick modules.
I am experimenting with various arduino joystick modules and spring-loaded sliders/potentiometers. The combination of arduinos, potentiometers, nrf24L01+ and 3.6V lipo works well. The main missing point is a nice enclosure...

Are there some free 3D printer files for small controllers with space for thumb control, similar shape to either Boosted or E-Go controller?

The ones I've seen are these.

_MG_3885_preview_card.jpg

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:768101

FM1A9732_preview_card.jpg

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:130972

What have you tried so far? Any nice ones?

If you got one and we can re-create it we can easily get a drawing up and everyone can 3d print it.

I think one that fits the components specifically would be better.

I'm hoping for something more along the lines of one of these.

remote_in_hand_4001105c-97e1-4031-8577-383cbabc45c8.jpg

http://evolveskateboardsusa.com/collections/spare-parts/products/remote

e-go-controller-dimensions-L.jpg

http://store.yuneec.com/us/e-go-parts/remote-control.html

However, both are bluetooth enabled and boast a wide array of features so if I can add bluetooth to the board I want to build, there may not be a need to design a new remote.

EDIT: Apparently when you pull down on the E-go controller, it "breaks". I think they meant BRAKE.

Still waiting on badwolf v2 which hopefully will not require moving charging port. I have big hands so a bit sticking out over the top of my hand isn't an issue. I'm using the quantum right now (yes battery life is poor - especially if you forget to turn it off), and why in the hell did they mold in a circular "barrel" on the end of it... ??? apparently just to make it look more like a gun. great idea... :roll:

The marbel remote looks pretty sweet as well. Not sure if it's BT or another 2.4.
blog-remote-14-2_large.jpg

I prefer 2.4ghz. 2.4ghz is mad stable 2400+ miles on GT2B and not 1 drop besides a not charged battery on my transmitter. I ride maybe 30 minutes to 1hr+ day and it lasts for 2-3 weeks if not more on a single charge.

Bluetooth isn't as stable. Boosted and E-Go have all had problems with bluetooth so I've heard.

eboostin said:
so if I can add bluetooth to the board I want to build, there may not be a need to design a new remote.
You cannot easily create a (BLE) Bluetooth receiver for a proprietary (BLE) Bluetooth remote controller such as the E-Go, Boosted, Evolve etc, so we will need one of the following solutions:

• go for an existing Bluetooth controller and a custom receiver. For example a Nunchuck + Wiiceiver or Playstation Move Controller + Arduino+USB Hostshield+Bluetooth host receiver
  • disassemble a RC controller (such as GT2B) and put its electronics in some enclosure
  • go for a small micro controller and a 2.4Ghz transceiver (such as Arduino + nRF24L01+) and put its electronics in some enclosure

I tried various combinations for each solution and prefer the Arduino+nRF24L01 because that lets you return information from the board back to the remote control, such as battery life etc. We could also use Benjamin Vedder's STM32F4+nRF24L01, but it is less user-friendly to program: the Arduino IDE is easier to use in my opinion.

I successfully put an Arduio + transceiver in an existing enclosure (such as Nunchuck enclosure), but ideally we 3d print some prototypes and then have a better way to create a pretty enclosure.

erwincoumans said:
eboostin said:
so if I can add bluetooth to the board I want to build, there may not be a need to design a new remote.
You cannot easily create a (BLE) Bluetooth receiver for a proprietary (BLE) Bluetooth remote controller such as the E-Go, Boosted, Evolve etc, so we will need one of the following solutions:

• go for an existing Bluetooth controller and a custom receiver. For example a Nunchuck + Wiiceiver or Playstation Move Controller + Arduino+USB Hostshield+Bluetooth host receiver
  • disassemble a RC controller (such as GT2B) and put its electronics in some enclosure
  • go for a small micro controller and a 2.4Ghz transceiver (such as Arduino + nRF24L01+) and put its electronics in some enclosure

I tried various combinations for each solution and prefer the Arduino+nRF24L01 because that lets you return information from the board back to the remote control, such as battery life etc. We could also use Benjamin Vedder's STM32F4+nRF24L01, but it is less user-friendly to program: the Arduino IDE is easier to use in my opinion.

I successfully put an Arduio + transceiver in an existing enclosure (such as Nunchuck enclosure), but ideally we 3d print some prototypes and then have a better way to create a pretty enclosure.

Would it be easy to use the Bluetooth remote with the corresponding receiver? Evolve sells the receiver for $10
http://evolveskateboardsusa.com/collections/spare-parts/products/carbon-receiver-electronic-square

I am completely open to using 2.4Ghz, however, I want the controller to be small and slick like the evolve/ego. Something I can just slide in my pocket and doesn't look like a gun or very conspicuous.

Ok so I've resigned vedders nunchuck PCB to be the exact same size as an original wii nunchuck PCB, I will be taking preorders for this PCB and I will be posted on git hub very soon!

I taking numbers for the best beta of this boards. They will come fully assembled! In a wifi nunchuck case.
The good thing I out these is you can install a 10k pot and trigger instead or you can install a slider bar!

And then we can get a library of 3d printing files!iv attached a photo of an original nunchuck PCB.

Beta pre order http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=70623&p=1065406#p1065406

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 4,657
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 4,657
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 4,657
That's a sweet design remote because it looks like it could be used to slide on the ground in an extreme lean or crash.

It would grind up the plastic sliding like that but preserve the riders hand skin.

Maybe some replaceable sections could be added for sliding.

I have updated this and changed the orientation a little. I have also added a charging and regulator circuit for lipo battery's.
This PCB is 26x46mm so it great and small.

Can some one who has a little knowledge check my wii nunchuck receiver for non VESC use. This will be a great addition because we can add light and cruise control.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 4,477
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 4,477
Hey guys,

I've finally uploaded the new version to thingiverse (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:922378).
Unfortunately I haven't been able to spend as much time on it as I would like to, in other words: you still have to desolder the usb-jack and move it.

Some of the updates are:
- Original screws to hold the case together (now you only need to supply 2 x 3m screws + nuts for the pcb and potentiometer)
- Using existing powerswitch with a printed extension
- Can accommodate the included 800mah battery
- Hole for the bind button
- A few mm slimmer then v1 and with lots rounded edges for a more comfortable grip

IMG_20150712_191054_preview_featured.jpg

Back