Options for left hand throttle.

bfayer

100 µW
I just built a new rear direct drive bike- boda boda yuba frame with amped bikes rear wheel "brute" SLA kit. Everything works great but the right hand shifter blocks the right hand throttle. The throttle functions fine on the left but it has a battery readout that sticks out where your hand would sit and I'd like to either get a left hand throttle with readout (if they exist), a thumb throttle with a separate readout, or a *left hand shifter. Anything to just get the controls on this bike to be comfortable and not upside down. Anyone know of a hacked throttle or other solution to this?

Thanks

If you relocate the red switch to the left and put the throttle on the right, you may be able to trim the shift trigger a bit so it clears. The image below shows a Magura mounted this way. This is a Mundo - same SRAM shifter that you have. You can just see the little flat spot filed onto the inner edge of the trigger.

09_18_iv250.jpg
Otherwise - if you want to keep the indicators but can't locate a standalone substitute, you can likely remove the throttle portion to preserve the indicators and mount that up on the left. Then use a conventional hall throttle or a Magura on the right.

Not exactly sure what you are looking for - eBay has may throttle choices.

If you want to go with a replacement for the right that won't have issues with your shifter, you may want to use a throttle without any switches and indicators and with a small diameter body. A half or full twist would give you the most options for rotating the throttle to reduce shifter conflicts. If you are just getting a throttle with no indicator lights, you can ignore the claims of 24v or 36v, etc that sometimes accompany eBay throttle ads.

Here you might strip off the trigger throttle portion of your existing throttle and just run the Gnd and Vbatt to the remaining indicator unit mounted on the left. The Gnd and other two wires would then run to the new throttle on the right.

I don't use hall throttle myself, but I believe that Wuxing makes good quality throttles with reasonable linearity. For instance: a full twist.

I just grabbed the bars and SRAM shifter for my new build (same model as yours) and tried a thumb throttle in there. I'ts got a nice small body profile but this particular shifter just makes a tangle of thumb levers no matter how I arrange things. I could see that some radical cutting of levers might work, but that's a place I wouldn't personally choose to go. Things might work if you have big hands and didn't mind a stretch to get to the shifters, but it seemed unnatural to me.

There have been threads about preferred throttle types and not surprisingly, there were differing opinions. It may be that if you have a forward leaning posture, a half twist may be more appealing since you can support you weight on the handlebar portion w/o affecting the throttle half. On the other hand, for a more upright ride like yours, the full twist may be more appealing, since you aren't supporting (much) body weight with your hands. Just a thought....

Anyhow these thottle helper gadgets came to light in a recent thread and might help you out if you are displeased with a half or full twist throttle... :D

The only left hand twist throttle I know of is the one sold for the eZee. Most thumb throttles work well on the left.

On my Electra I use the thumb throttle with battery gauge on the left, as per your second photo, and find it confortable. I have a nexus 8 grip shift on the right.

xq0EmtJl.jpg

2 Years later I'm working on my bike and realize I never followed up on this. So I went with an ebay'd currie half grip twist throttle, I had to shave just a hair off the shift levers to make it all fit. It was a hall type, not pot throttle like the original, and the controller was unhappy with the max twist signal voltage. I measured the max functional voltage and dropped the max output using a resistor to the ground line. I basically had no clue how it was supposed to be wired and I fried 2 sensors before I got it right (kept running the high voltage line through the hall sensor input) Works great now though :lol:

Back