• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

ORIGIN8 Cutler7 700c hybrid geared build

I bought a bike a while ago off craiglist that I though would be a good candidate for a light geared build. The bike is a ORIGIN8 CUTLER 7 and I chose this bike because it had a 7 speed rear setup and a single crank so installing an ebike kit would've been a breeze. Plus the frame is hi tensile steel and not aluminum. Here are the pics of the bike;

IMG_20120815_182536.jpg

IMG_20120815_182549.jpg

IMG_20120815_182615.jpg

After that I decided for a cell_man MXUS rear geared motor with his DNP20 7 speed freewheel. Best price I could find for a motor/wheel without the controller or throttle. It arrived from china to west palm beach florida in about 2 weeks :D. Here are some picks of how it arrived and showing how well Paul packs these kits.

IMG_20120815_182700.jpg

IMG_20120815_182815.jpg

IMG_20120815_182851.jpg

Then I proceeded with the install. The fit was PERFECT. I never had an easier install.

IMG_20120815_185832.jpg

IMG_20120815_185838.jpg

IMG_20120815_220407.jpg

I used a sensorless controller I had laying around from an old aotema kit. The controller is 36V 18 amp really small. I am building a couple of lipo rear bags that I can swap but at the moment I'm testing it with a li-io pack 10S6P with a total capacity of 15.6Ah. For now it is holding and the sag ain't that bad. As for the kit.

I LOVE the sound of this little motor and how it responds. Even at such low amps it is really good in keeping me at cruising speed. This bike will be the spare bike for when my main commuter bike is not working or not charged in the morning. My next test is to measure real world consumption. I already know these motors are really good. I also have a couple of 6S lipo bricks I'll throw togeter and make a 12S pack and test it at that voltage.

So far I'm happy with the kit from cell_man and the bike was a perfect fit for this kit. I'll keep making changes to it and updating this thread.

I'll probably make an enclosure from ABS for the triangle and ditch the rear rack and bag add some fenders etc etc. You know how it goes.

Update 9/04/12

Fenders Installed!

Next work is to ditch the rear rack and bag and finish the triangle enclosure. I'm thinking 15S3P A123.. stay tuned

IMG_20120901_181526.jpg

IMG_20120901_181540.jpg

Great job on the conversion! And it looks like cell_man's stuff is an excellent fit!
Please give us your update on how the bike performs and post pics when you reconfigure the battery....

jkbrigman said:
HOLY CRAP that bike is dang near perfect for a conversion. And it looks like cell_man's stuff is an excellent fit!
Please, please, give us your update on how the bike performs and post pics when you reconfigure the battery....

JKB

It was really really EASY to do the conversion. Like literally all I did was take the wheel ogg put the new one in add the rear rack and bag with battery and the throttle/controller. I haven't put a torque arm but I don't think I will. I didn't even adjusted the derailleur like with the included freewheel everything was spot on!

As for consumption;

I use ~ .38-.44 AHr per mile with the li-io pack which is the 36V one and lots of headwind. At that voltage the speed is pretty much 18mph at full throttle.

I haven't measured consumption with the 12S but I like the speed and response of the kit at low speeds at cruising speed well it is just cruising. I'll probably do that during the week if that damn storm doesn't get to Florida.

I'm working on some DIY threads and documenting everything so I haven't taken more pics of the bike etc but will do soon enough.

migueralliart said:
It was really really EASY to do the conversion....

I use ~ .38-.44 AHr per mile with the li-io pack which is the 36V one and lots of headwind. At that voltage the speed is pretty much 18mph at full throttle.

I'm working on some DIY threads and documenting everything so I haven't taken more pics of the bike etc but will do soon enough.

Bring on the DIY! And best of luck with Isaac bearing down!

Well it looks like ISAAC didn't stop me from continuing the work on this bike therefore got the fenders installed.

These are excellent for 700c hybrids , brand is SKS velo42 all plastic with the u stays. They are supposed to be clip on but the rear tire is really close to the tube therefore I had to cut the clip on and stick to the u stays. I got tons of things to work on this bike like ;

front disc upgrade (by changing the fork)
rear disc addon (possibly with a weld on bracket)
triangle enclosure with A123 15s3p pack.

IMG_20120826_195117.jpg

IMG_20120826_195139.jpg

Gotta love Labor Day!You are not supposed to work but yet nobody will stop this ebike GRIN...

Some updates!
Fenders Installed! and some more wiring arrangement.

Next work is to ditch the rear rack and bag and finish the triangle enclosure. I'm thinking 15S3P A123.. stay tuned

IMG_20120901_181526.jpg

IMG_20120901_181540.jpg

Back