• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Overheating vigilence

abecrizer

100 mW
Hello,

I am starting out with a Q75 hub motor road bike, riding it for about 1 month now.
The tempurature next week is predicted to be >100F, (38C) next week.
My commute ride is mostly a long steady climb up a mild to moderate slope
My ride so face the motor and controller have been warm, but nothing to the point I cannot hold my hand
on them indefinately, the controller has been warmer than the motor.

What do I need to watch for?

If it matters I have a sine wave controller integrated into a water bottle battery.

Exceeding the watt rating of the motor and controller or either for extended periods of time.The Q75 is rated for 200W and the controller that come with the kits are rated for 250W.

Shouldn't overheat on a mild slope. The main thing is to pedal as hard as you must, to keep speed up above 10 mph on that grade, preferably closer to 15 mph, on that hill. On the flat, ride as slow as you like, it's not loading the motor to it's max then.

ambient won't matter too much really. Or anyway, no real difference between 90F and 110 F. The motor will cool itself much faster, run cooler the whole ride when it's actually cold of course.

If you had a really long, 8% grade or steeper hill, then you could easily overheat that motor. Or, if you weigh more than 150 pounds, tow a trailer, etc.

Back