Sabvoton Overheating Issues - MQCON App System Error Message

Adam Kaig

10 µW
Hello guys, sorry I'm a complete noob with ebikes and all the technical stuff but recently I've been having some "overheating" issues with my 72v 12000w hub drive ebike and really need some expert help! I think its got a sabvoton sine wave controller with a grin technologies cycle analyst v3.14 monitor thing on it. I got the bike second-hand off a guy who said he bought it off enduroebikes.com and he'd had only done a few hundred miles on it when I got it.

I've had the bike for around 2 months now with absolutely no issues at all but just the other day I did about a 20km ride into the city (my go-to ride route) and I was using about 3/4 throttle up a moderate hill only doing about 2/3 of the bikes max speed when suddenly I lost all power from the throttle. The computer/screen stayed on and acted normal (didn't show any errors or anything) yet no matter what I did I couldn't get any response from the throttle. I turned the bike off and on again but to no avail, so then I connected the bike to the MQCON app via bluetooth to see what the problem was and after connecting it immediately came up with "system error" in red. It turns out that the controller was overheating and was giving me a reading of around 93 degrees celcius (I have current limiter set to engage at 70 degrees celcius, controller shut off at 90 degrees, and recovery temperature at 80 degrees). So I left it off for a few minutes and let it cool down before trying again and I was able to get it going again and made it 20km back home without a single issue. I wasn't sure why it had overheated because I wasn't abusing it or putting it under extreme load, I'd done this same route many many times before without any issues at all, and it was a cool night so the weather couldn't be to blame either. I didn't think too much of it but then the next day I did exactly the same ride again and the same issue happened at almost the exact the same distance into the ride, but this time I was just cruising on the flat at under 1/2 of the bikes max speed and had been taking a more chill than usual ride leading up to then. Similar to the previous time, I pulled over, shut the power off for a few minutes, turned it back on, but this time it the throttle stayed dead. I checked the MQCON app and even after having sat there resting in the cool night breeze for a few mintues, the controller temperature was still reading 90 degrees celcius and displaying the same "system error" message (the previous time it had dropped to around 75 by this stage). So I left it to sit for a few more minutes before checking again but this time the temperature had gone UP rather than down (even though the bike had been off and resting in cool temperatures). I ended up waiting on the side of the road for almost 20 minutes and still the temperature reading wasn't going down, but rather was just fluctuating around 90-95. I got fed up with this because by now the hub motor was almost back down to atmospheric temperature and throughout the whole ordeal I couldn't feel any heat or even slight warmth coming from the battery, controller, or any of the other internal electronic components (everything seemed completely fine). So I used the MQCON app to edit the temperature settings and nudgedthe current limiting temp, shut off temp, and recovery temp all up to 100 degrees celcius so it would let me start the bike and get home. It worked and I managed to ride the remaining 20km home without any issues (funnily enough the temp reading actually went down from 95 to about 89 during the ride home). Once I was home I left the bike down in the cold garage to charge and even setup a fan to blow cold air over it through the night. By the morning it was fully charged and completely cold, yet when I checked the MQCON app it was STILL showing the "system error" message and the temperature reading for the controller had gone back up to 95 degrees. I have no idea why this is happening because the only thing that ever actually gets hot on the bike is the hub motor but when I check the MQCON app for that it says its only 1 degree the entire time even though it often gets hot enough to almost burn my fingers when I touch it!

Please can someone help or provide some insight as to what the problem might be. Do I need to worry about it or should I just push the controllers overheat shut down temperature way out to 110 or something and just ignore the issue? I'm pretty sure the controller isn't getting hot at all which lead me to believe that maybe the temperature sensor is accidentally linked up to the motor instead of the controller, hence the reason for the insanely high readings? That theory still doesn't explain why it now reads 95 when its cold, but prior to these issues I found that the temperature reading for the controller always seemed to be more realistic to the temperature of the motor than the controller.

In case I'm not explaining myself clearly...
Controller temperature reading on MQCON app after a big ride: 70-90 degrees celcius (but feels just a little bit warm at the very most)
Motor temperature reading on MQCON app after a big ride: 1 degree culcius (but is extremely hot to the touch and radiates a lot of heat)

Hello guys, sorry I'm a complete noob with ebikes and all the technical stuff but recently I've been having some "overheating" issues with my 72v 12000w hub drive ebike and really need some expert help! I think its got a sabvoton sine wave controller with a grin technologies cycle analyst v3.14 monitor thing on it. I got the bike second-hand off a guy who said he bought it off enduroebikes.com and he'd had only done a few hundred miles on it when I got it.

I've had the bike for around 2 months now with absolutely no issues at all but just the other day I did about a 20km ride into the city (my go-to ride route) and I was using about 3/4 throttle up a moderate hill only doing about 2/3 of the bikes max speed when suddenly I lost all power from the throttle. The computer/screen stayed on and acted normal (didn't show any errors or anything) yet no matter what I did I couldn't get any response from the throttle. I turned the bike off and on again but to no avail, so then I connected the bike to the MQCON app via bluetooth to see what the problem was and after connecting it immediately came up with "system error" in red. It turns out that the controller was overheating and was giving me a reading of around 93 degrees celcius (I have current limiter set to engage at 70 degrees celcius, controller shut off at 90 degrees, and recovery temperature at 80 degrees). So I left it off for a few minutes and let it cool down before trying again and I was able to get it going again and made it 20km back home without a single issue. I wasn't sure why it had overheated because I wasn't abusing it or putting it under extreme load, I'd done this same route many many times before without any issues at all, and it was a cool night so the weather couldn't be to blame either. I didn't think too much of it but then the next day I did exactly the same ride again and the same issue happened at almost the exact the same distance into the ride, but this time I was just cruising on the flat at under 1/2 of the bikes max speed and had been taking a more chill than usual ride leading up to then. Similar to the previous time, I pulled over, shut the power off for a few minutes, turned it back on, but this time it the throttle stayed dead. I checked the MQCON app and even after having sat there resting in the cool night breeze for a few mintues, the controller temperature was still reading 90 degrees celcius and displaying the same "system error" message (the previous time it had dropped to around 75 by this stage). So I left it to sit for a few more minutes before checking again but this time the temperature had gone UP rather than down (even though the bike had been off and resting in cool temperatures). I ended up waiting on the side of the road for almost 20 minutes and still the temperature reading wasn't going down, but rather was just fluctuating around 90-95. I got fed up with this because by now the hub motor was almost back down to atmospheric temperature and throughout the whole ordeal I couldn't feel any heat or even slight warmth coming from the battery, controller, or any of the other internal electronic components (everything seemed completely fine). So I used the MQCON app to edit the temperature settings and nudgedthe current limiting temp, shut off temp, and recovery temp all up to 100 degrees celcius so it would let me start the bike and get home. It worked and I managed to ride the remaining 20km home without any issues (funnily enough the temp reading actually went down from 95 to about 89 during the ride home). Once I was home I left the bike down in the cold garage to charge and even setup a fan to blow cold air over it through the night. By the morning it was fully charged and completely cold, yet when I checked the MQCON app it was STILL showing the "system error" message and the temperature reading for the controller had gone back up to 95 degrees. I have no idea why this is happening because the only thing that ever actually gets hot on the bike is the hub motor but when I check the MQCON app for that it says its only 1 degree the entire time even though it often gets hot enough to almost burn my fingers when I touch it!

Please can someone help or provide some insight as to what the problem might be. Do I need to worry about it or should I just push the controllers overheat shut down temperature way out to 110 or something and just ignore the issue? I'm pretty sure the controller isn't getting hot at all which lead me to believe that maybe the temperature sensor is accidentally linked up to the motor instead of the controller, hence the reason for the insanely high readings? That theory still doesn't explain why it now reads 95 when its cold, but prior to these issues I found that the temperature reading for the controller always seemed to be more realistic to the temperature of the motor than the controller.

Controller temperature reading on MQCON app after a big ride: 70-90 degrees celcius (but feels just a little bit warm at the very most)
Motor temperature reading on MQCON app after a big ride: 1 degree culcius (but is extremely hot to the touch and radiates a lot of heat)

Tbh i run my unlocked 150 Sab at up to 240dc amps and on a 22s setup and never has it over heated.I ride woods and hard.In short its the first ive heard of one doing this :?

That wall of text should start its own separate thread to get decent responses

rather than hijacking QS' sales thread

and really needs breaking up into smaller chunks with whitespace in between

in order for more people to bother reading it
Adam Kaig said:

PLEASE HELP MEEEE!

Back