Overvolting BBS02

Remove old broken controller. Remove its guts and cut a square or rectangle between two of the three holes.
I am thinking about inserting the cables where the old cables, from the old controller, went out of the controller kind of. But you mean a totally new rectangle-hole correct? Not where the old wires went out?

The funny idea was that it could be half-integrated to the old controller if the new one was in the size of about 9 by 5 by 3 centimeters.
Yeah mine is bigger. So I will have to have that one on the outside. It is a KT controller of 30amp. So I want to push more watts into the motor basically. Making it stronger. Seems like a fun project since I only have a 500 watt controller in this BBs-motor. So plan to switch it up.

Last edited:
I have been running the bbs02b at 48v 33 amps (1584w) for 2 months without any problems. Using the open source firmware.
hmm interesting. Do you guys think it is possible to up it to 52olt as well? So 52v*33amp

Remember Chalo writing something about volts not giving more heat so might not be a problem(?) But someone else also wrote that the capacitators might get fried?

The controller electronics is the limitation of the battery voltage so if you change the controller. That controller voltage will define your max voltage.

You can run some motors with only the thick phase wires connected if the controller can work in sensorless mode. Or virtual hall-sensor modulation* you could say with other words.

The protection from where the cables comes out is not the most important. Rather everything else and when all is finished you but some glue, melt glue or silicon in there so no water gets in.

I run my BBS02 with a 52 volt pack , I think I asked the seller to limit the amps to 24 it was a year ago , I think I saw 25 amps once briefly on a steep hill , road not dirt . I will be experimenting with different front chainrings . You can buy a few chainring adaptors with 104 BCD from many different places for the BBS02 and 130 BCD for larger chainrings on the BBSHD . the cheap ones from Aliexpress don't give a very good chain line , so with those you lose the lowest 2 or 3 cogs on the back . You can buy chainrings from different places that have some dish to them for both motors . I have a BBSHD on a different bike and run it on 12 lipo's ( 2 6s packs in series ) since they are the only packs that will fit on my full suspension frame with very little space in the middle of it . I prefer the BBSHD for all riding ( Flat and up steep mountains ) it is better and faster on 12s than the BBS02 on 14s . You can buy just the BBSHD motor and plug into it all the other sensors and display from your existing BBS02 , That is what I want to do in the future . From my experience with both motors you would be happier doing that . The BBS02 is a good little motor for people who live in flat areas though . I find that I don't feel like over volting either motor the BBS02 with a 48 chainring and the 52 volt battery is plenty . If you don't find trying different chainrings is good enough for you a couple of years ago I saw a thread and youtube videos from someone in Canada , one of the middle provences that overvolted a Befang mid-drive using a controller from Grin Technolgies , I looked into it more and found the price to be so much money that just buying a CYC Cyclone 3000 watt ( really 1500 watts continuous ) or the at the time CYC X1 pro , would be about the same price as putting a higher power controller on the BBSxx motor. And allot less work than over volting a Befang . At the present time I am quite happy with the BBSHD and stock controller , It powers up some very steep 5+mile long mountain roads .

Last edited:
I have been running the bbs02b at 48v 33 amps (1584w) for 2 months without any problems. Using the open source firmware.
Where is this open source firmware ? Please make a youtube video on how to use it .

At the present time I am quite happy with the BBSHD and stock controller , It powers up some very steep 5+mile long mountain roads .
Yeah, I want to get a bbshd on another bike in the future. But this one is going to be an experiment with the bbs02. Right now I don't have money for the bbshd and I have this one bbs02 at home.

I think it will be interesting. I am also thiking about upgrading the chainrings as you talk about. Probably with some linkglide chains and stuff.

Yeah, I want to get a bbshd on another bike in the future. But this one is going to be an experiment with the bbs02. Right now I don't have money for the bbshd and I have this one bbs02 at home.

I think it will be interesting. I am also thiking about upgrading the chainrings as you talk about. Probably with some linkglide chains and stuff.
Are you living in a more Flat part of Northern Europe , or with steep mountains?

When you do try different chainrings buy the ( Narrow/Wide ) ones. In the US they can be bought cheaply through
Aliexperess once you have a good adaptor. There are some ones with dish as well sold on the same site , made just for the Befang's . the ones that work on the BBS02 will not work on the BBSHD , a different bolt pattern . keep that in mind.

Back