• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Please help me choose a controller

I am about to order a MAC motor and I see that I can get a bunch of different controllers. I want a 12T motor for heavier loads and steeper hills but what controller would be best? They have 6fet's or 9fet's and then different amperages for each of those choices. I am looking for reliability and torque at low speeds. What do you guys think, and why?

OptimusPrime said:
Are more fet's always better? How do the number of fet's impact the rest of the system?

I run a 10T MAC / 52V battery / 9-FET 3077 Infineon controller set to 30A max draw via CA (v2.3).
Have used for couple years on very hilly terrain, has proven very capable and reliable setup.

My understanding -- and hopefully someone will correct if wrong! -- is that higher numbers of FETs enable controller to run cooler at sustained high amp draw levels. The number of FETs does not directly map to how much amperage the controller will draw... just how hot it will run at a given draw.

I've been considering going to a 6-FET version just to test whether it will deliver the amps needed on steep but short hills here without frying... in my case, 30 amps for maximum of a couple minutes.

Are you going to order the Mac Motor from EM3ev ?
If So ...

They have a number of controllers available according to your voltage and amperage, and even more important,
with the new Mac motor that they now sell , it has the feature of being matched to one of their controllers and the Newer version of the Cycle Analyst , ( V3/V3.1)
So that when the motor reaches a certain temperature the C.A. V3 and Controller will shut off before any damage to the motor.
So even though it might be a little more $ , you get a much better and turn key system . ( Have them Match the C.A. V3 to the oms of the controller before sending to you ).

I would choose the 6FET 3077 controller. This will handle your stated needs adequately, though may run a little warm. If you like your controller to have a bit more "upgradability", then you might consider a 9FET 3077 or even a 12FET 3077, but in all likelyhood, 6 of the IRFB3077 MOSFET's should be able to handle up to 30A of current no problem.

Back