plugged wrong charger (higher voltge) into battery, now having problems.

jetsabel

1 µW
hey all. so my girlfriend's bike has a 42v, 2.0a charger but i plugged my housemates's 58.8v, 3a charger in by mistake.

the battery is labeled 36v, 2.35a max charging current.

the 58.8v charger was plugged in for about 5min before i realized my mistake

what is the likely outcome of this?
is it likely that i have fried the BMS? i can't see any failed/burnt components or broken fuses on inspection of the BMS (KLH3688)

since pluging in the wrong charger, the battery does not charge from the original charger (the light on the original charger does not change from green to red)
i have tried to perform a BMS reset (both internal and external)
the battery still powers the bike, battery level indicator still lights up etc, but just doesn't charge

i'm starting to wonder if maybe the plugging the wrong charger in for 5 minutes didn't cause the problem and the original charger failed seperately - i dont get any voltage reading from the original charger (should i get a reading when the light's green? or only when it's red?)

hey all. so my girlfriend's bike has a 42v, 2.0a charger but i plugged my housemates's 58.8v, 3a charger in by mistake.

what is the likely outcome of this? is it likely that i have fried the BMS? i can't see any failed/burnt components or broken fuses on inspection of the BMS (KLH3688)

since pluging in the wrong charger, the battery does not charge from the original charger (the light on the original charger does not change from green to red)
the battery still powers the bike, battery level indicator still lights up etc, but just doesn't charge

i'm starting to wonder if maybe the plugging the wrong charger in for 5 minutes didn't cause the problem and the original charger failed seperately - i dont get any voltage reading from the original charger (should i get a reading when the light's green? or only when it's red?)
Common chargers will show voltage when tested with a multimeter whether green or red led

Some chargers will not output anything until they detect the correct battery voltage range placed on their output. (some will whenever there is any voltage placed on the output (from any battery)).

So if your battery's charger port is turned off because the BMS detects a problem either with a cell or if it is smart enough to have detected too high a voltage, the charger wouldn't start charging and woudlnt' have a voltage on it's output either. It could turn off just the charge port and not teh discharge port (I have one here that does that *sometimes*).

You can test if the charger is of this type by connecting it to the discharge port, since that's still working; if it begins to charge then the charger is ok.

If the BMS doesn't reset via any of it's possible methods, you could try discharging it some, and see if it decides it's ok to charge now. If it still won't, you could then try discahrging it far enough to turn off the output port and see if that wakes the charge port.

what is the likely outcome of this? is it likely that i have fried the BMS? i can't see any failed/burnt components or broken fuses on inspection of the BMS (KLH3688)

I would say nothing generally happeneds but I have never tried your scenario. Usually batteries are protected by a small chip or BMS that will prevent overcharging for example if for any reason it is malfunctioning, been tampered with or anything else a human can do over the normal

Battery will not charge as it is almost fully charged. It needs to be a little lower to start.
If the charger has more than two active contacts (positive voltage, negative voltage) - something fried but not chicken.
I would test all voltages of the cell groups. If for any reason one is off that is a reason for the BMS to shut the battery input or output off.
I would change fuse. - Some fuses are weird or you have just misread the ohm number.

Back