Prodeco Outlaw SS looking at buying

69tr6r

1 mW
Hey guys, I'm looking at a Prodeco Outlaw SS for sale locally on FB marketplace. The guy claims the charger doesn't work any more. He's asking $800.

Is there a way to tell if the rest of the bike (motor and electronics) work if the battery is completely dead? Like can I hook up a 12v battery to some point and see the motor spins?

I'm a very skilled bike mechanic, so no worries about the rest of the bike, I can check that all out.

I would prob offer him $500 and plan on buying a new battery to mount inside the frame. I just want to make sure the rest of the bike is ok.

Thanks!

A 9Ah battery is way undersized for a throttle only bike anyway. Try starting out with what you would be willing to spend on a working bike that's set up the way you like it. Then subtract out the cost of the components you would need to get it there. The components I see that I'd assign some sort of value to are the motor (assuming it's working), the fork (assuming the fork seals aren't leaking), and the frame, if the style suits you. I'd plan on replacing the battery, controller (I like a quiet bike, so sine wave), and replace the rack with something useable. Personally, I wouldn't offer more than $300 since there's no way to test anything.

The good news is, is that if you move to lithium ion, you may be able to get a battery with a lot more capacity and not a lot more weight. With that frame, I'd probably place it under the down tube instead of the triangle.

The components I see that I'd assign some sort of value to are the motor (assuming it's working), the fork (assuming the fork seals aren't leaking), and the frame, if the style suits you.

That was a one-size bike if I remember correctly. So it's much better if you're almost the one size than if you're a different size.

Even for bike models that came in many sizes, the only ones you should consider riding regularly are those that fit.

Also, the Prodeco Outlaw SS's geometry was horked up by using a very long fork on a frame designed for a short fork. So it has too much steering trail and wheel flop, and a too-high bottom bracket for folks who otherwise fit the frame okay.

Last edited:
That's a no on 12v battery making it spin.
The best way to test it is with a 36 v battery, or a 36v charger with the right adapter.
3 small 12v temporarily wired up in series and hooked to it with a jumper would work too for test. I think prodeco used little slot connectors under the battery, jacking in there or in the black case under the battery where the controller is would be enough to make it spin up...

If it doesn't run, start looking for popped fuses. I think prodeco has a run fuse, and a separate charger port fuse on the battery?
If there's no key and no charger, then it's maybe getting into make sure it isn't stolen territory

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

The battery is 12aH LIFEP04. As far as the size, I'm 5'10" so pretty sure it would fit.

I agree that the fork is too long, messing up the geometry of the bike. I too was thinking to mount the new battery under the down tube.

Seller says he has the charger and the key, so might not be stolen. Could be a dumpster/dump find that the seller knows nothing about.

Maybe I'll shoot him an offer before I waste my time going to look at it.

Thanks for the replies.

The battery is 12aH LIFEP04. As far as the size, I'm 5'10" so pretty sure it would fit.

I agree that the fork is too long, messing up the geometry of the bike. I too was thinking to mount the new battery under the down tube.

Seller says he has the charger and the key, so might not be stolen. Could be a dumpster/dump find that the seller knows nothing about.

Maybe I'll shoot him an offer before I waste my time going to look at it.
I think you have to like the bike and try sitting on it or riding it, even without power. The bike is like the earlier Rad bikes in that it's not like a factory integrated bike that you'd get from a major company, but a frame with kit parts pre-installed. If you need to get a battery, then the question is, can you get a craigslist frame that you like, and plop in a $200 ebay 1000W/1500W kit into it for less than you are purchasing the broken bike for.

That's an old bike the way we used to sell them they had a lifepo4 battery. It last a long time, but the battery time is likely over. Or worn out. The controller is in a box underneath the battery and they would heat up and give a lot of problems. If riding on hills or something demanding. For the money you can do a hell of a lot better.
There are new bikes out there for brand new for a couple hundred more.

There's going to be a lot of deals coming up as people open many ebike stores and overbought and there's now more e-bikes than customers. I bet the biggest sales will be the tax sales in March.

They were an okay bike when they were first made 10 years ago except for the fork extended too far out.
And we kept thinking they were hiding Florida's drug money in a bike company they do it at donut stores and laundromats all kinds of places hide the drug money.
So the batteries gone we know just because of age plus you need a charger and that poor controller's been sitting in that box with no ventilation getting hot all the time he's been using it does it have a direct drive motor ?

Back