QS 3000w midmotor

PITMIX said:
Yes unfortunately there is no less than 14T for the motor shaft with Woodruff key.
They could learn from the kart motors..
8/ 9T on 219 sprocket is common ( though not ideal for wear rate) on motors of 15+kW.
Most common fitting is a 20 deg taper shaft with a very small Woodruff key and 12 (?) mm male threaded shaft end for retaining nut. High quality materials and surface finish are essential for the shaft, sprocket, and key.
Its the taper fit that does the drive,..not the key.

larsb said:
Nice to get an "official" power number from QS :D

I am sure that for a short period of time it can be even higher. I put 250A into it at 80V for a few bursts and i couldn't feel any heat at all.

With the new controller i can push 600A, battery cannot cope with it so i don't know how much i get.. but output from motor is even higher than before. Motor is capable of more than 20kW in bursts.

Hello,
I am very confused with the max power QS 3000KW motor can produce,I have the V3 motor along with EM150.Could you help me out in setting up the controller to get good power.
I am quite confused what to do with the flux weakening part and moving vehicle speed and torque booster.

Hello, you can put everything to the maximum you do not risk anything with this engine. The most important thing is to have a sufficiently geared transmission so as not to force the engine.
I use it at 25kW Peak without any overheating. 300A Battery, 500A phases and 300A FW and on a 450kg vehicle with the pilot. The transmission is 8: 1.The temperature never exceeds 60 ° C even in summer. The characteristics of the engine indicates that it is not necessary to exceed 115 ° C, I am very far from it.

PITMIX said:
The problem arises from the pinions which have play on the motor shaft. Besides, Qs motor has modified the new 4kW motor with pinions fixed by a Woodruff key.

IMG_20200929_172050.jpg

Is this motor shaft the way to go? Any issues with finding sprockets and how is the shaft/keyway slot holding up?

Thank you! Looking to order my first QS motor.

Hello, at the moment there is only one sprocket for chain 428 available in 14T. To hold the pinion the shaft is machined in a conical shape, with a 16x1.5mm thread, a 2mm groove and there is a Woodruff key in the shape of a half moon.
A friend will assemble this 10T sprocket instead of the 14T sprocket to be able to fit it on my Qs138 90h engine

Attachments

• IMG_20211212_110933.jpg
    IMG_20211212_110933.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 1,282
I wonder how much power we can get from this engine. The air-cooled Qs138 can deliver 30kW without heating, while the liquid-cooled Qs 138 should be able to output 50kW without a problem.

PITMIX said:
I wonder how much power we can get from this engine. The air-cooled Qs138 can deliver 30kW without heating, while the liquid-cooled Qs 138 should be able to output 50kW without a problem.

Have you seen 30kW output? Is there a dyno sheet or something?

yes for Qs138 with reducer 2.35
https://www.facebook.com/groups/endless.sphere/permalink/4582402708495428/?app=fbl

SlowCo said:
Quinc said:
Has anyone had any luck with adding liquid cooling to these motors? Wrapping them tubing or clamping something over them like with R/C motors?

QS (SiAECOSYS) sells a watercooled version:
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005002741157530.html

QS138 watercooled.jpg

Might want to pull / replace that link. I think it may have attached some of your user info. I pulled the tail end of the link in this post.

PITMIX said:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/endless.sphere/permalink/4582402708495428/?app=fbl

There was nothing more then guesses from the guy in the link. He knew just about what he put in, and guessed the output. He didnt say anything about any dyno from what I heard.
There is no doubt that people get nice performance with the motor, the question was if 30kW output was really confirmed.

SlowCo said:
Quinc said:
Has anyone had any luck with adding liquid cooling to these motors? Wrapping them tubing or clamping something over them like with R/C motors?

QS (SiAECOSYS) sells a watercooled version:
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005002741157530.html

QS138 watercooled.jpg

Searching through google images I came across this picture. Now sure how much it will help with cooling being on the fins with lots of empty airspace.
coolingqs.PNG

Looks about as useful as a kettle with the element on the outside.

karting_desire said:
Quinc said:
Next question. :)

Does anywhere sell mounting brackets for these specific engines?

I wish, I looked for a while and havent found any. Ended up fab'ing one up myself.

I dont know if this bracket is homemade?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=114391

For the 138 90h though, so not any of the 138 70h

That looks way more professional than mine. Sure doesnt look homemade.

Mine's still in the rough phase and not cleaned up but you can get the idea.

image000000 (34).jpg
image000000 (33).jpg

It is in fact homemade, just not by me :lol: I got the Motor cradle from Jonny at MightE in the UK, he specializes in using QS Motors in senior and bambini karts. Nice kart by the way, is it a Exprit?

j bjork said:
PITMIX said:

There was nothing more then guesses from the guy in the link. He knew just about what he put in, and guessed the output. He didnt say anything about any dyno from what I heard.
There is no doubt that people get nice performance with the motor, the question was if 30kW output was really confirmed.

I totally agree, I have seen a rolling dyno with a QS 138 90h in a Kart getting 32bhp, running on 60V and 450A. I do think he modified the motor though, I am guessing changed the hall sensors to encoders.

Wimbi39 said:
It is in fact homemade, just not by me :lol: I got the Motor cradle from Jonny at MightE in the UK, he specializes in using QS Motors in senior and bambini karts. Nice kart by the way, is it a Exprit?

I thought that'd catch your eye! It is, the 4 stroke version (if the motors in the background didnt give it away), had a couple extra karts laying around and got the itch to try this out.

Yeah I thought I saw a few Honda engines in the background! :wink: same here, already got infected by the electric bug and needed a winter project. I am currently waiting for my cells to arrive so I can get the BMS installed and turn the motor for the first time.

Back