Question about plug type in LG 66A module (Volvo Polestar 2/Porsche Tycan)

mik84

1 µW
Hello,
I have four battery modules from Volvo Polestar 2 (32299991), Porsche Tycan (9J1915591H 9J1915591J)
and I'm looking for plugs fitting pictured balancing port. I found picture (below) showing this plug where 10 out of 12
pins have wires.
If You have any suggestions those would be very helpful. As I need to plug and unplug those modules I have to
use safe and well fitted connection.

This is how this module looks like:

LG E66A gniazdo.jpgLG E66A wtyczka.png

As I need to plug and unplug those modules

Why? Attach and package the balance board together with the cell pack, and you won't have to mess with the balance connections. Most multipin plugs don't hold up well to regular unplugging and replugging.

Those are 14,4V/module configuration and I would use them mostly in my garage 48V setup connected to APC 3000 UPS where I have no electricity. Those are city garages (in a row) next to the unattended park, so putting any solar panels on top are a bit risky.
As those four modules are c.a. 10kWh and place is near my flat I can put them in backpack and charge time to time at home (f.e. using Toolkitrc M9 with balancing socket).

The other solution is to make sort of adapter with some more popular and rigid standard (Molex?) On the original socket end I would use single wires with female connections secured by heat shrinks (for shortage protection) and push chunk of "epoxy plasticine" into it to keep it all together.

Question: Are those plugs verified to actually be wired to the cell interconnects? If they're not (but instead go to internal electronics) then they can't be used directly to do what you want.

If you don't know what the pins go to, for certain, you should verify them before doing anything else with that connector.

At 14.4v, that's a 4s pack. So if they are wired to the cell interconnects, you should get 0V relative to main pack negative on one of them, and then four others will have voltages on them increasing from 0V to full pack voltage, in increments of the present cell voltages. (no less than around 3v and no more than around 4.2v).

Curiosity: What are the other seven pins for? (possibly two aren't used given the presumably OEM pack connector in your last image, but there seem to be ten wired up).

Note: If these cells are being used gently, well-within their current-delivery capability, and not being fully charged or fully discharged (similar to their likely profile in the EVs), they probably won't need balancing often, if ever, if they are as well matched as other large-format EV cells tend to be (like the ancient EIG cells I have that are still all within a hundredth of a volt of each other within each of three 14s2p packs, never having been used with a BMS or balancer or manually balanced, just occasionally checked out of curiosity).

Hey Amberwolf, thank You for those hints :)

I bought those from reseller as new but "SCRAP" tagged due to unperfect laser weld on aluminium housing (look perfect for me).
Guy told me that they did cut open some to sell as single packs and those extra wires might be temperature sensor (he was not sure), but what's more imprtant for me - there are 0,75A (90% sure of this value) fuses inside. So shortcutting those would cause ripping this housing.
As I don't have plug (last picture is from web) I was going to get one and solder sockets with 0,63A glass pipe fuses on every positive wire.

I'll checked raster using my plastic caliper - maybe You can suggest any plug type in this raster so I could just cut edges and use it?

LG E66A gniazdo.jpg

Back