Qulbix Raptor 140

The Hatchling is looking sweet man. I am really excited to see your build outcome and 2nd person vids over the gnarly stuff. Got an ETA on completion?

Rick

No firm ETA Rick but it won't be rolling for 2 weeks at the very least. I have many of the parts but no battery yet (wanted to measure, assess everything carefully first) and I also neglected to notice they require a 30.9mm seatpost which I dont have on hand so will need to order one. I should have the forks later this week so if I get cracking I may be able to take some photos on the weekend of roughly how the completed bike will look.

Plenty of 2nd and 3rd person footage to follow. I'm also in the process of acquiring a quadcopter for sweet aerial footage 8)

Hyena, is there a good place to find all the specs (e.g. steering head size, seat post size, etc)? Qulbix doesn't seem to have a lot of that stuff posted (unless I missed it). I need to get crackin' on all the misc parts.

I am still baffled by the battery build so post up a 20s13p so I can copy you! :mrgreen:

I've just purchased a seat post 30.9 and 1 1/8 headset. All the info is on the new raptor 140 site.

Below is the link
http://www.qulbix.com/index.php?option=com_djcatalog2&view=item&id=42:qulbix-raptor-140-bicycle-frame-kit&cid=9:frame-kit&Itemid=475#.U8SWztkazCQ

Ah, beaten by Rod.
The key bits you need to get right are the headset OD is 44mm and you need an extra wide 83mm bottom bracket and crankset.

Here's the info pasted from the qulbix site:

Specifications:
Rear Shock Dimensions Compatible rear shock length & stroke: (267x89 / 240x76 / 222x70 / 216x63 mm). See table below.
Rear Brake Rear brake adapter is included in the kit and is suitable for 200/203 mm rotor and standard brake calipers (for example: Avid Code, Elixir). Two mounting bolts and washers also included.
Keylock Frame integrated key-lock for controller on/off.
Charger Integrated XLR charger socket with rubber cap.
Battery Compartment Inside frame width: 140 mm, max. opening height: 240 mm, max. battery pack size: 300 x 200 mm. For more info check drawing above.
Derailleur M10x1 threaded hole for standard derailleur installation.
Seat For bicycle seat post diameter 30,9 mm.
Side stand Standard bicycle side/central stand.
Controller Protector Aluminum controller shield with large ventilation holes. Larger (Kelly) controller shield also available. For more info check the product catalog tab.
Weight and material 10,1 kg; frame material: super strong construction steel (tensile strength 1200N/mm2, stronger than CrMo steel); frame side plates: high tensile strength aluminum.
Colour options - stickers White, yellow, orange, red, green or blue. For more info on colors check the gallery tab.
Headset Bearings Suitable for semi integrated 1 1/8'' headset bearing (bearings are not included in the kit.)
Bottom Bracket Suitable for BB shell width 83 mm, BSA (English) thread 1 3/8'' Left/Right (BB is not included in the kit).
Dropout Clamping type, maximum bolt size: M16, 10 mm slot. Swingarm dropout: 165 mm. Compatible with: Cromotor 155 mm size, spacers come with the motor. Crystalyte The Crown 140 mm, ask for additional spacers – 7 speed free wheel can be installed.

Hyena said:
The key bits you need to get right are the headset OD is 44mm and you need an extra wide 83mm bottom bracket and crankset.

I was super excited to be an early purchaser, but truth be told, this noob is glad you have one to build up first!

Qulbix have had all the information you need for all the parts such as headsets, headtube length etc on their website for some time, at least since I purchased the 165 frame a few months ago.

One thing that's actually not mentioned on their website, although the product is available on their products page is the rear mounting hardware required for the shock. You'll need 2x M8x40mm. Also, depending on your rear shock choice (coil preferred), you may have access issues with a 450lbs spring. We didn't, but we also didn't use the Fox shock commonly used on here.

We'll have something up shortly with some more information.

marcn said:
you may have access issues with a 450lbs spring. We didn't, but we also didn't use the Fox shock commonly used on here.

Thanks Marc, the 450 is in my weight range so I'll keep a lookout.

Mammalian04 said:
Hyena, is there a good place to find all the specs (e.g. steering head size, seat post size, etc)? Qulbix doesn't seem to have a lot of that stuff posted (unless I missed it). I need to get crackin' on all the misc parts.

I am still baffled by the battery build so post up a 20s13p so I can copy you! :mrgreen:

This is my third build and most of my componentsI've purchased from here.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/au/en?gclid=CIXdtabUxr8CFY8kvQodiVkA9w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also Jensen cycles

Mammalian04 said:
marcn said:
you may have access issues with a 450lbs spring. We didn't, but we also didn't use the Fox shock commonly used on here.

i had the same Problem.
but i have found a solution.
when you want to go with FOXRC4, a 450 Spring from CaneCreek fits.
Because the Spring isnt 3,64". It is 3.5. The Range of the Shock is 267x89. 89mm = 3,5"
When you set the Bottom Out to "hard" i dont see any PRoblems.

Hyena said:
Merlin said:
Haha, i see a sabvoton is waiting :D
It's waiting to slap my big cro-style motor black and blue. How does that 350 phase amps taste piggy ? :lol:
I think they're underrated too. I'm looking forward to spending some time tuning and tweaking it.
The big solid aluminium base is a great heatsink. They're big and heavy, yes. But perfect for a high powered raptor build. I couldn't fit it on my stealth fighter previously as the frame was too narrow.

i like it. But iam new to a BIG Full Suspension eBike. It feels so easy and smooth sometimes you think: okay plz gimme some more :p
But on a 1:1 drag race with a buddys 10KW bike you SEE the difference ;P

btw: maybe you know everything is in safe setup ranges. you cant kill it with software settings.
the Protect Phase amps (where the controller stops working) is 450A.
Some of the settings you cant setup higher. it returns instantly to max setting allowed.
But Phase Amps you can setup to Protect 450A
iam running since yesterday on 400A .....nice ;D

Merlin said:
Mammalian04 said:
marcn said:

i had the same Problem.
but i have found a solution.
when you want to go with FOXRC4, a 450 Spring from CaneCreek fits.
Because the Spring isnt 3,64". It is 3.5. The Range of the Shock is 267x89. 89mm = 3,5"
When you set the Bottom Out to "hard" i dont see any PRoblems.

The spring IDs are different though so you may find some lateral play when it's installed because it's too big width wise. For example the Fox spring on the CCDB won't fit correctly because of the ID so you'll get some rubbing.

Everyone's requirement on perfect suspension setup is different though of course.

i know.My Original FOX 500/3.64 has 36,0mm
the CaneCreek has 36,5mm.
there was no Problem about losing or scrubbing somewhere.
i can take a picture when you want.

beside that theres a spacer set what you can buy. it replaces the original one.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Cane-Creek-Daempferfeder-Adapter-Fox-DHX-Van-Daempfer-Federteller-Marzocchi-/150865234805?nma=true&si=IZKyGFFXl7mnuFlr143mnknJ3v0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

marcn said:
One thing that's actually not mentioned on their website, although the product is available on their products page is the rear mounting hardware required for the shock. You'll need 2x M8x40mm.
Did you check all the bags ? I'm just starting to put mine together and found the bottom bolt is in with the swing arm bolts and the top one in with the body/frame bolts.

Also, depending on your rear shock choice (coil preferred), you may have access issues with a 450lbs spring. We didn't, but we also didn't use the Fox shock commonly used on here.
I'm running a fox van R 400lb spring with no issues, other than I'm going to need alot of spacers to pack it out to fit the mounts.
2x11mm spacers at the bottom and 2x ~5mm ones at the top

shock1.jpg

shock2.jpg

Baby raptor starting to take shape :)

raptor2.jpg

Hyena said:
I'm running a fox van R 400lb spring with no issues, other than I'm going to need alot of spacers to pack it out to fit the mounts.

the Problem "exists" when you use a 267mm (10,5") Shock.
Because you need to use the upper first Hole.

Or the Middle one when you are above 1,90m tall ;P
or the last one when you are 2m :wink:

Definitely didn't get the rear shock hardware when I purchased the Raptor. They may be including it now though which is great.

Merlin said:
Hyena said:

the Problem "exists" when you use a 267mm (10,5") Shock.
Because you need to use the upper first Hole.

Or the Middle one when you are above 1,90m tall ;P
or the last one when you are 2m :wink:

You are correct, the problem is with using the top holes with a 10.5" 3.5 stroke shock. You can fit a 400 lbs spring, but a 450 will be very tight and you will have to screw down the spring more than your supposed to.

I'm starting to think that you should really be using a 17" dirtbike wheel with this bike, and this would force you to use the middle hole. I hopefully will have my raptor running this week with a 17" prowheel and will be able to compare it to the 19" prowheel that I have been using.

Hyena, what size is that shock? Why are you not using the a 10.5"?

Looks like a fox Van R. Does that come in 10.5? I am thinking of going with 9.5x3 just so it is a little better for shorter riders that may go for a spin (even though I am 6'2"...

Mammalian04 said:
Looks like a fox Van R. Does that come in 10.5? I am thinking of going with 9.5x3 just so it is a little better for shorter riders that may go for a spin (even though I am 6'2"...

You should keep your bottom bracket around 14" no matter what shock size you use. If you want shorter riders to use your bike then lower the bike seat. If you use the moto seat this also won't be a problem.

You want all the rear travel you can get.

Offroader said:
Mammalian04 said:

You should keep your bottom bracket around 14" no matter what shock size you use. If you want shorter riders to use your bike then lower the bike seat. If you use the moto seat this also won't be a problem.

Noted. Thanks Offroader!

My BB height will be just shy of 14" (around 13.5), I'm using the fox van R largely because I already had a new one on hand with a 400lb spring and the shorter length will work out OK because I'm on the shorter side (5'8). I do plan to experiment with different shocks though so I can offer packages for people who don't want to make lifes hard decisions :p

Forks and crankset should arrive tomorrow so come the weekend I'll definitely be able to show you pictures of something that looks like a complete raptor 140 :)

Mammalian04 said:
Offroader said:
Mammalian04 said:

Noted. Thanks Offroader!

I looked at the Van R. also originally. I think you can get it in 10.5.

I decided to search Ebay and find a reasonable deal for a new Fox DHX RC4. Why I also decided on that shock was it had a lot of adjustments and from researching it at the time it seemed those adjustments were worth having.

I have to admit that they surely do come in handy. I find the rear suspension very hard to tune, so I am always fine tuning all those different adjustments and they do make a difference. The front fork I actually never adjusted anything as it feels fine. I would pay the extra $100 - $200 for a fully adjustable rear shock.

Offroader said:
Mammalian04 said:

I can confidently say that using a 10.5x3.5 shock on the highest mounting point on the frame bracket (standard orientation), and lowest mounting point on the swing arm, you'll get 310mm bottom bracket clearance running 19x1.4 prowheels front/back with 19"x3.0 shinko tyres. Most down hill bikes are over 340mm, however, most AM, and XC bikes are around 300-310mm. It really depends once again on how you want to ride the bike, if you're planning to do massive drops, and really accelerate through rock beds etc. With a bike this heavy I doubt it.

Edit: If you want more BB clearance you can pop it in the middle holes. I'll measure it up tonight and let everyone know if they're planning to run the same combo.

Edit2: With the shock in the middle position on the frame shock mount in standard orientation, I'm getting 350mm BB height running the wheels and tyres mentioned above. The bike looks and feels much higher, so had to adjust the seatpost accordingly by cutting it down a tad more to prevent it hitting the spring. 13.78inches is plenty of clearance, especially with 160mm cranks.

Back