Railbike

Did a test run using only one bike on my railcart and it worked just fine. Plenty of weight and rigidity to the cart structure. Still surprised how well the rear wheel tracks the rail. Only problem was when I tried to run over a large amount of vegetation on the tracks it raised the right wheel up enough to cause a derailment towards that side. The fix for that was to just push the railcart thru the brushy area and manually keep it tracking. Made a lot of progress to my ultimate goal of reaching and crossing a trestle over a lake, about another half mile to go.One Bike Railcart.jpg

I have been clearing the track for a month now. Mostly blackberry, scotch broom and other small trees. Don't need a chainsaw yet, a clipper do a good job so far.
P_20240421_191923.jpg

I was getting tired of pushing the bike/cart to cross the roads, so I decided to clean the gaps between the rail and pavement. I made a scoop to dig out the dirt.
P_20240405_154816.jpg

But the job is a little harder than I thought. The dirt mixed with gravel and rocks been packed for years by passing cars and trucks. Sometime a fist size rocks wedged in that I needed a pry bar to dislodge the rocks. Up to now I cleaned 3 intersections.
P_20240421_191418.jpg

While I was doing the job, a guy (total stranger) stopped by and gave me a yellow vest. He was concerned about my safety. Nice guy. Now I start to look like a city road crew.
P_20240421_193258.jpg

Few more intersections to clean to go to first destination, Green Lake.

Last edited:
Back