Railbike

Ishikawa

10 W
Happy New Year

Time has come to the Island. Last year, the Fed declared no more financial aid to the railway on the Island( Vancouver Island). The rail company has been in red for years. Unable to run profitable business and maintain the track properly, rails rusty, pegs are loose and a lot of small trees are growing on the track now. The train is still running few times a week at 30km/h max, to transport propane gas tanks to the gas station but nothing else. There have been no train running on the north side of the city for years. They can't afford to run a train all together soon. Then we will have 300~400km of track on the Island to ourselves in near future.

If life gives you a lemon, you make a lemonade. Soooooo, I made a railbike to ride on the track.

The bike is nothing special regular ebike. I made a platform out of 2x4 to mount the bike on top. Also made the platform as a trailer so I can pull this with the bike to the track from my place, distance is about 5km, also be able to go from the track to somewhere else as well. Self contained, no need for a car or truck or any other transportation.

Wheels are polyurethane kick skate wheels, side wheels are 2 cogs from free wheel welded together with sst plate to face against inside of the rail. trailer wheels are wheel barrow wheels.

Attachments

• P_20230830_190606.jpg
    P_20230830_190606.jpg
    883.5 KB · Views: 43
  • P_20231007_170054.jpg
    P_20231007_170054.jpg
    1,006.7 KB · Views: 51
  • P_20231223_152830.jpg
    P_20231223_152830.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 50
  • P_20230821_164252.jpg
    P_20230821_164252.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
  • P_20230821_163953.jpg
    P_20230821_163953.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
No flanged wheels? I'm impressed it stays on the rails.

Actually I'm more sad that the Island has no functional railways anymore.

No flanged wheels? I'm impressed it stays on the rails.

Actually I'm more sad that the Island has no functional railways anymore.

That's right, no flange on the wheels. Welded free wheel cogs function as a flange. Much easier and cheaper to make and works as good as flange.

Sad news maybe is the blessing in disguise. Many places in US have started to run a small electric or human powered train (too small to call it a train, too big to be a bike. Anyway, some vehicles) on the discontinued track for tourists/attractions. They looks very expensive and charge over $100 an hour to rent. This railbike is an answer to high cost, poor man DIY version of the vehicle.

Last edited:
On a train/railway angle....how do you know there's not another Ishikawa on his rail bike coming the other way? 🚲🤣

Wait a minutes, there is another Ishikawa? My long lost evil twin brother? Just kidding.
Good question. There is no signal or alarm on the track to detect other railbike. But as far as I know, this is the only one exist here. Biggest problem right now is trees and blackberrys growing on and around the track. Nevertheless I always keep my eyes open to watch out for a bear, deer or human to give me a trouble. I am looking forward to meet another railbikes to come across though.

Last edited:
Last year, the Fed declared no more financial aid to the railway on the Island( Vancouver Island). The rail company has been in red for years.

I wonder why there's never any imperative that roads and highways be profitable?

I love his frame design.

I have seen the same video before I made mine. Good thing I did not copy his idea. I rode my railbike the same way like his but gave up the idea very quickly. Here is the reason why.
My first test ride, I sat on the bike like his. That gave me very weird feeling like as if i am on a bike which is standing on a tight rope. My brain understood the bike will stay on the rail because I made steering lock that prevent the bike to go off the rail but my body refused to comply. I managed to open the throttle a bit, went about 10km/h awhile. I could not get my eyes off the rail, kept stopping the bike often. Another problem is weight distribution, there is not much weight on the other side that makes it easy to derail. He rode his bike for 120 miles, he must have a mental strength of steel and balance of Spider Man. My mental strength is like a tofu. I could no ride mine for 120 feet. My hat off to him.
So, right after the first test ride, I made a remote control (wired) with thumb throttle, regen/brake and forward/reverse switches. I can sit on the platform unlike his. Sit close to the ground to keep CG low and centered. Now I can sit back relaxed, be able to look around and enjoy the ride.

Attachments

• P_20231223_154841.jpg
    P_20231223_154841.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Its a great project to finish and use, to make it a regular mode of transport, I'd try to refine it for multi-use where you could use the base frame as a bicycle trailer when your "off the rails" Have the ability to ride bike along railway beds with no rails (Kelownas Kettle Valley Railway) or go down a road a bit. Go all out and build a solar project ;)

Its a great project to finish and use, to make it a regular mode of transport, I'd try to refine it for multi-use where you could use the base frame as a bicycle trailer when your "off the rails" Have the ability to ride bike along railway beds with no rails (Kelownas Kettle Valley Railway) or go down a road a bit. Go all out and build a solar project ;)

Thanks for your suggestions. Actually this have been made as a trailer so I can tow this behind the bike to and from the track. I can carry some luggage with this too. I am making another trailer for the bike to put a small camping cabin on it. So many things to do, so little time or money to spend.
Solar panels are big and expensive, I would rather invest my money for better battery and gas (propane) power unit to make it hybrid. That's going to be my next project.

Ishikawa,​

Anatawa nohin jin...?

Back on topic:
I used to walk the rail lines when I was young, I had to cross one to get to my great grandma's house. I cringe to think of the pain one would suffer if you fall of a 2 wheel on those tracks, the gravel has sharp edges.

For relaxed trip on abandoned rail lines, may I suggest something with 4 wheels? steel wheels with min rolling resistance?

Ishikawa,​

Anatawa nohin jin...?

Back on topic:
I used to walk the rail lines when I was young, I had to cross one to get to my great grandma's house. I cringe to think of the pain one would suffer if you fall of a 2 wheel on those tracks, the gravel has sharp edges.

For relaxed trip on abandoned rail lines, may I suggest something with 4 wheels? steel wheels with min rolling resistance?

Hai watasiwa Nihon jin desu.

May be you misunderstood, most likely because of my bad English. Sorry about that.
My railbike's platform have 4 polyurethane wheels, one on each corner. Plus 4 side wheels made out of free wheel cogs next to the poly wheels as a flange. The ebike is secured on the left side of the platform, as the source of propulsion. Therefore no danger to flip or derail if I sit in the middle of platform, next to ebike. I am using polyurethane wheels because the wheels are tough, less noisy and have 2 bearings in it, very little rolling resistance. As long as I stay at reasonable speed, there is very little chance the platform to derail. And in case of derailment, the distance I fall is about 4 inches. I hope that's answers your questions.
Thanks

Last edited:
I did not add - Lighter weight but still strong, quick and easy to setup with basic bicycle maintenance related tools, using allen bolts with your multi-tool with the m5. It will be very fun with tons of adventures opening up.

I did not add - Lighter weight but still strong, quick and easy to setup with basic bicycle maintenance related tools, using allen bolts with your multi-tool with the m5. It will be very fun with tons of adventures opening up.

Yes, that is my major problem. I will have to make the trailer as light as possible. Another problem is the battery pack I'm using, old Headway pack. Capacity has gone down quite a bit. I have to get better battery pack. Anyway, weather is getting cold now. I will take a month break. I will post the progress.
Thanks

Hai watasiwa Nihon jin desu.

May be you misunderstood, most likely because of my bad English. Sorry about that.
My railbike's platform have 4 polyurethane wheels, one on each corner. Plus 4 side wheels made out of free wheel cogs next to the poly wheels as a flange. The ebike is secured on the left side of the platform, as the source of propulsion. Therefore no danger to flip or derail if I sit in the middle of platform, next to ebike. I am using polyurethane wheels because the wheels are tough, less noisy and have 2 bearings in it, very little rolling resistance. As long as I stay at reasonable speed, there is very little chance the platform to derail. And in case of derailment, the distance I fall is about 4 inches. I hope that's answers your questions.
Thanks
Op San,

Your English is much better than mine. Your implementation will definitely work, not dinging it.

For few hundred rail track ride, maybe a 2 wheel bike would not be my go to setup, hence my mention of a steel wheel cart.
As I have aged, I like to relax and enjoy the outside :)

Op San,

Your English is much better than mine. Your implementation will definitely work, not dinging it.

For few hundred rail track ride, maybe a 2 wheel bike would not be my go to setup, hence my mention of a steel wheel cart.
As I have aged, I like to relax and enjoy the outside :)

Thank you for your comment.
After few minor tweaks and adjustment, railbike runs well now. It is getting cold and rainy here. I can not ride this for awhile. I am planning a long ride when the weather get nice again. I will post the progress.
Thanks

I just finished my rail bike project (really a rail cart) and did a short test ride on some abandoned tracks near Tryon, NC. Cart is made of 1" sq structural aluminum bolted together with 1/4" hex bolts and lock nuts, 3/4" steel axles, and pillow block bearings. Poly wheels are from Railriders.net (caution, difficult company to deal with). Bikes attach with quick release fork blocks and we can turn the bikes around without having to lift and turn the cart around to change direction. A quick test ride this past weekend confirmed the design works with just a few changes to the width of the poly wheels and fork attachment. Frame weighs 50 lbs, wheels are 9 lbs each. Our hybrid bikes tracked nicely on the rails and pedaling the cart was not difficult. Hoping to find some longer stretches of clear track for longer rides in the near future.

KH

Attachments

• 20240323_132019.jpg
    20240323_132019.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 26
Excellent feature!

Surprised the rear wheels stay on the rails so easily.
I originally wanted to mount the bike forks on one rail directly in the middle of the frame but our pedals would not clear the poly wheels, so I had to move the mounting position back and add another rail and fork mounts to make it all work.

I measured some abandoned rails and made sure our bikes mount with the rear wheels directly in the middle of the 3" wide rails. Standard gauge rails in the U.S. are 56 1/2" from inside of one rail to inside of the other, so centerline measurement of 3" wide rails is 59 1/2". I was surprised the wheels tracked so nicely without needing anything to keep them tracking.

I can mount our ebikes (Specialized turbo Vado sl) to the rail cart by changing out the fork mounts if I feel we need more power for the rides.

KH

I just finished my rail bike project (really a rail cart) and did a short test ride on some abandoned tracks near Tryon, NC. Cart is made of 1" sq structural aluminum bolted together with 1/4" hex bolts and lock nuts, 3/4" steel axles, and pillow block bearings. Poly wheels are from Railriders.net (caution, difficult company to deal with). Bikes attach with quick release fork blocks and we can turn the bikes around without having to lift and turn the cart around to change direction. A quick test ride this past weekend confirmed the design works with just a few changes to the width of the poly wheels and fork attachment. Frame weighs 50 lbs, wheels are 9 lbs each. Our hybrid bikes tracked nicely on the rails and pedaling the cart was not difficult. Hoping to find some longer stretches of clear track for longer rides in the near future.

KH
The cart looks pretty good. Glad to see successful test run.
It is still early in the season but plenty of good time ahead.
Congratulations. I would like to see more in the future. Keep posting.

2nd test ride near Saluda, NC. Spent a lot of time clearing brush and trees from the railbed. At least the cart makes it easy to carry a chainsaw and loppers. A lot of interest from the neighbors along the railway.

KH

Attachments

• 20240402_135717.jpg
    20240402_135717.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Saluda Grade Tracks.jpg
    Saluda Grade Tracks.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 15
  • Saluda Grade Overgrowth.jpg
    Saluda Grade Overgrowth.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 15
Tell me about it...I have to sit on the ground on my knees to do that sort of thing (like lantana trimming, etc). :/ It's still no fun but it's better than bending over to do it.

Back