Rc Lipo wire gauge

Bryanc

1 mW
I am completely confused by the small wire gauge that rc lipos use.
How can an 8000 mah lipo battery with 100 c discharge rating use only 10 gauge wire?

Welcome to the world of marketing. At best its half so 50c peak for a short amount of time and probably whatever continuous.
You buy yours from Hobbyking? If so, you better test each one.

Bryanc said:
How can an 8000 mah lipo battery with 100 c discharge rating use only 10 gauge wire?

The marketing lies. Its probably around 20C.

If you honestly try.... to pull " 100C" from a " 8Ah" cell.... through a 10g wire... ( 800A through a 10g).... well that wont last long and probably leave you seeing spots for a few days ( from the arc flash).

Increasing wire sizes and building for real numbers certainly helps. For instance, I have 6ga wire on the cells on my bike. The HK lipos come with 10g. I would heat 10g up way to much riding around. Sure tey can take the small peak of the RC hobby market needs: But EV is kinda a different story.

The marketing lies.
"True " C rate calculators are available online to tell you the " real" c- rate you should expect from any one cell.

Bryanc said:

This is why when I use hobby pouch cell packs, I run 1.5-2.2Ah max capacity packs and parallel them all together. I also replace the 10awg with 6awg if the application is very high C-rate.

Yeah, I bought 10Turnigy Alpha 8000 mah batteries. Claimed 140 / 280 c rating.
Very expensive too.
Foolish mistake for my first battery build!
AARGh!

Bryanc said:
Yeah, I bought 10Turnigy Alpha 8000 mah batteries. Claimed 140 / 280 c rating.
Very expensive too.
Foolish mistake for my first battery build!
AARGh!

This is your first battery build, but 10ga wire won't do the job? What are you building, a rail gun? Portable induction furnace? Backpack stick welder?

Turnigy makes some good lipos. Long lasting. I have a Turnigy from 2012, here, still fly RC with it time to time.

While I agree with most posts here there may be someone that has the chart available who can post it here. Probably Spinningmagnets has it. It tell you how many amps a 200deg silicon teflon coated high strand count CU wire can handle per foot and it is way beyond the limits of the below NEC code articles

I dont want to guess since I dont have the chart in front of me but its way higher
like 150a for 12awg at 1' length
or 220a for 10awg at 1' length
silicon amps.jpg

I went to school to be an electrician, so most people like me just thing of the code book and go ok a 14awg wire is good for 15amp
a 12awg wire is good for 20amp and a 10awg wire is good for 30amps. But this is not true when it comes to all things

This is for wires run in sheathing thru walls in extreme temperatures for a continuous amperage draw de-rated to 80% capacity even further just to be safe. And these wire runs can be up to 150' from the power source... While it is perfectly safe to go by these calculations, take them with a grain of salt when doing EV conversions

nothing as fun as that. I have an 84 Honda xr200 that I am converting. It just seemed wrong that I would use 10 gauge wires to the controller and from the controller to the motor much larger.
That brings up the next question.
How should I design the battery pack given the batteries that I have..

Bryanc said:
nothing as fun as that. I have an 84 Honda xr200 that I am converting. It just seemed wrong that I would use 10 gauge wires to the controller and from the controller to the motor much larger.
That brings up the next question.
How should I design the battery pack given the batteries that I have..

I have a full size dirt bike running on 24s a123 with 12awg 200deg teflon CU wires at 55a peak thru a denzel 4-spd gearbox its pretty darn powerful

and if your only building a dirt bike and will be using LIPO the 10awg wires from the cells are fine unless you are peaking over 200a all the time. your series connections should be only like 6inches long and then your battery output leads you can use 8awg or 6awg

just use good wire, high strand count CU or welding cables

My thought is the short length of the wire. I did 12x 25c 5000mah batteries with a 400a kelly controller and the wires never got warm.

full build: https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=91687

ltfauX2.jpg

Back