Rear Wheel acting as Generator

DAND214 said:
You didn't read it as it's written. "I got to the bottom of the huge hill on which I live".
You're right; I read more into it than what was there (it is a frequent problem; causes me to answer many test questions differently than "normal" people would). :oops:

BTW, I'm never actually wrong, but sometimes I'm not completely right, either. :p

I read somewhere that 2 wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do :D - jd

Hi Dan,

Thanks for that. I'm still waiting actually - he sent on the e-mail and they got back to him but only just to say the head technician would take a look (the lower level guys apparently weren't sure). I may make it simpler with bullet points if I have to - but I'm kind of hoping they will just replace the motor. It's probably just less work that way overall if they do it - and I know I'll be a lot happier. Every time I go downhill or try to pedal without it, it's impossible to forget the problem is there - and as it gets colder the range is getting less because of that anyway - so every little bit of power helps - especially if I run out again and have to go uphill...

Thanks,
Peter

Make sure they take care of it before the warranty is up. they could jack you around as long as they can just for that reason.
so don't sit on the side and wait for him to call you. Not telling you what to do, but it has been too long of a wait for the problem.
I know it's too easy to tell others what to do, I'm told what to do all the time :mrgreen:
Dan

Hi all, I got the bike back now - what happened is the store owner and I waited for a reply from China, I think the final response was that it was a problem (though the store owner doubted they understood what I wrote) so when I called the store owner on Saturday morning he told me to bring it for servicing as soon as I could. So I brought it down within the next hour or so and he told me it would take 2 days to fix. It turned out it only required one day, but he never called me - so I got it back on Monday night from a local Bike shop (not the same place). The owner there had taken the motor apart and greased it inside - he described it as previously being "as dry as a desert" - once he did so, it was working great. There is now no resistance when moving it forward - the light stays entirely off. The difference is definitely noticeable. When I first tested in the store it seemed like the noise was different, but since then it's seemed normal to me. I hope that the problem won't relapse - the mechanic/other store owner didn't mention changing any parts, just greasing things up. I waited a couple of days before posting to see if things changed, but it's still going as smooth as before, same motor just greased - so sorry John about not being able to buy it - if this was all it was then it sounds like it'd have been a simple fix for you as well.

What do you guys think - should that take apart/greasing fix the stuck freewheel permanently?

Thanks,
Peter

Nope - not a permanent fix. I thought it was doing it a little bit the other day when I was pushing it along the hallway. I tested it again upstairs and it didn't seem to - but probably when I noticed it I was pushing it faster than later on. Now it's gotten to the point that it's as bad as before. The greasing he did allowed it to move freely for awhile it seems - but now it's just the same :(.

Spoke to the store owner, he asked me to go back to the other store where the guy said he'd fixed it.

Arg - I wish they'd have just replaced the motor the last time and been done with it - or at least have replaced the part people kept talking about, the freewheeling clutch - maybe now they will replace the whole thing and maybe John can have it after all...

Peter

Originally the seller intended to pick it up from there himself - but he never got a chance so I got it from them last week. He's suggesting I go back there tonight and show the guy the same thing is happening. He had said he fixed it so the fact it's happening again... I have no idea if he'll take it for overnight or will fix it as I wait or will refuse or what. I don't think he'd have the motor, but I know the seller I bought from has spares - he replaced one in the past when someone shorted out the cables in the brakes and then told them he couldn't get the motor to work - the mechanic showed me one of the spares - at first he thought it would be working with resistance as mine was, but it was clean and smooth.

Last Friday I was noticing a bit of resistance, just a touch. But now after leaving it over the weekend it's back to as before.

Definitely I'll be taking it back - I hope to get this fixed asap. There's a week or two left of nice riding but then things look like they may go down hill fast. I really hope to be able to try this out for awhile before that happens...

Peter

Hi Dand,

Finally the shopkeeper decided to put a new motor on it - and it's been working great ever since :). I can really feel the difference. I can get 26km/h on flat now without any resistance when going downhill (I've hit 43km/h+ on the downhills with no pedalling). It's nice and free - I'm quite happy :).

Thanks,
Peter

Ya, sorry about that - I meant to write a post saying thank you to everyone for your support - sorry - I remembered to pm John about the broken motor but forgot to post here. I didn't want to write it the first day or two incase the same thing happened as last time - when it seemed good for a week and then I had the problem all over again. It's been going well now for more than a couple of weeks now and I hope it will keep it up. It's getting sub zero here now (I left yesterday when it was -2 with a -10 windchill) - I've heard that I shouldn't let the pack freeze (I think it's a Lithium Ion) - so I guess I'll be stopping soon. I wouldn't want the bike to get damaged by the salt and so on anyway - so it might be just as well. Next week there's a couple of days in the + but all the rest look grim - might do a bit more riding on the good days through the winter but I think I'll stop the daily commute on the bike quite soon. It's been pretty good, I just hope that there will not be more problems.

I ordered some aluminum folding pedals that should hopefully last as long as the bike does - the ones I have now have broken twice. I also bought a new flashlight clamp, a new flashlight, U-lock, keyed alarm, pannier bags, and a GPS stand - that last one especially is fun - it's how I can change tracks or off the radio easily, while watching my speed and driving directions - great stuff - best $5 on eBay I ever spent - and it's quite solid. Besides that though, nothing really new on the bike front - thank you all for your help - I don't know where I'd have been without it.

Thank you all,
Peter

Back