Recommendations on a chain tensioner for my1016z2 left chain drive motor

pauldeden

1 mW
I have a my1016z2 left chain drive motor, attached to a fuji crosstown 3.0 donor bike which has a curved triangle frame holding the back wheel.

I used a vice to bend the motor mount better to the frame, but it's still not perfect.

No matter how tightly I attach the motor mount to the frame, the curve in the frame and bumps in the road, gravity, etc eventually works the motor down and back (not far, say 1/2 inch) increasing the slack in the chain and the chain comes off.

The image doesn't show it, but it now has a u-bolt holding the lower part of the motor mount.

I'm wondering if a chain tensioner would help in this case. If so, do you have any you would recommend?

Attachments

• IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 345
Hi Paul,

As amberwolf recommended in another one of your posts, you need to improve the chain alignment. I don't think a chain tensioner will improve things. You need to modify the motor mount. You could potentially add some kind of spacer between the frame and the motor mounting plate so that the chain is straight. You can also protect your frame by putting a softer material between the motor mount and your frame (Cut some pieces out of old tires or inner tubes, perhaps?)

Good luck!

As far as I can tell the chain is aligned, from my work with the motor mount and the vice. If it's misaligned it's not very visible. It does visibly have too much slack, maybe 2 inches of vertical play. I'll try just breaking the chain and removing a link or two before trying a chain tensioner.

Thanks for the help!

Well, not surprisingly you were right and I was wrong. I reconsidered your advice about fixing the alignment of the chain and after looking at it I realized it could be improved. I worked with the motor mount and the vice some more and was able to improve it and I am happy to report that I had a nice 20 minute ride tonight without any problems!

Thank you again for your help!

Back