Recommended battery / BMS tester ?

qwerkus

10 kW
Anyone knows a good piece of hardware to analyse a battery pack, including bms errors ? Right now all I'm doing are charge cycles with periodic manual voltage measurements and, well, not much actually to check for bms defects! Either it works or it meets the e-trash bin...

I am building a load array that you can run with a Cycle Analyst and datalog the results. It is getting kind of expensive, but is a universal battery/motor/controller testing machine. 24v-240v. Max I can pull is about 20Kw. Min is about 75w.

Not much out there.

Current Voltage IRpack Capacity

Testing the health of cells does not require much precision nor automation, if you aren't doing it as a business,

maybe $100 over and above the chargers/PSUs, DMM & ammeters you need anyway for regular maintenance & balancing.

Testing a BMS is also basically a manual process.

john61ct said:
Testing the health of cells does not require much precision nor automation, if you aren't doing it as a business,

maybe $100 over and above the chargers/PSUs, DMM & ammeters you need anyway for regular maintenance & balancing.

Testing a BMS is also basically a manual process.

Kinda what I did until now. Problem is the manual way always requires you to disassemble the pack. Was fine when I had 2 bikes. Now that over 20 packs are laying around here, I was hoping for some plug-and-play solution for a quick first analysis just by connecting charge and discharge ports of any cells pack.

Well atomizing into individual cells is a requirement not matter what

if you think there are cells in much worse shape than others.

So long as they are connected into parallel groups their attributes are averaged out, opaque as individuals no matter the equipment used.

Only way around that is to build 1P sub-pack strings and then parallel those at the pack-voltage level,

rather than paralleling at the lowest level, but almost no one does that.

john61ct said:
Well atomizing into individual cells is a requirement not matter what

if you think there are cells in much worse shape than others.

So long as they are connected into parallel groups their attributes are averaged out, opaque as individuals no matter the equipment used.

Only way around that is to build 1P sub-pack strings and then parallel those at the pack-voltage level,

rather than paralleling at the lowest level, but almost no one does that.

Exactly what I was thinking! What we need are 10-30ah prismatic NMC-type-chemsitry cells in hardcover, easy to replace with bolt terminals, just like they do for LiFePo4 cells. This whole welding / testing / packing thing of individual cells is so inefficient - not to mention wasteful: last pack I finished produces such a ridiculous amount of trash... I understand the advantage of cylindrical cells but let's face it: they are just not very practical.

Back