Recumbent moped.

Pilip

1 mW
Hello.
I am making such a moped for long trips. All components are available, but the matter has slowed down so far.
The battery will be large (there is in the garage, but not yet assembled).
It will consist of three cases with independent control electronics, each with 60Ah, 72V, that is, a total of 180Ah, 72V.
It is planned to run on a single charge 300+ km.

Attachments

• 1lghr0m.jpeg
    1lghr0m.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 67
You should have mentioned that it is not just about range, but about being able to tackle mountaineous terrain and maintaning not exactly 'moped' speeds, more like a light motorcycle. :)
On flats and at moped (~50 kmh/30 mph) speeds, you could have managed with a fraction of that capacity.

To be frank, starting from certain battery size/range, a series hybrid transmission starts getting highly tempting, if only there were compact and most importantly - silent generators that can be engaged and disengaged on demand...

You should have mentioned that it is not just about range, but about being able to tackle mountaineous terrain and maintaning not exactly 'moped' speeds, more like a light motorcycle. :)
On flats and at moped (~50 kmh/30 mph) speeds, you could have managed with a fraction of that capacity.

To be frank, starting from certain battery size/range, a series hybrid transmission starts getting highly tempting, if only there were compact and most importantly - silent generators that can be engaged and disengaged on demand...
Hello, the speeds will really be moped, and this is 60-80 km / h.
The terrain is mountainous, but I will drive on public roads, and there the slopes are not too steep.
But as a warning, I still decided to give the motor for rewinding according to the scheme that is already on the current moped with the same characteristics, only an ordinary moped, not a recumbent one.
The motor is rewound with rectangular wire and has better performance than the factory one.

Attachments

• DSC_1241.JPG
    DSC_1241.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 29
Hello, the speeds will really be moped, and this is 60-80 km / h.
That's not a moped. Mopeds are limited to ~50kmh internationally. You can tell anything you want to police, but you did choose the right board to post in - which is e-moto/e-scooter, latter of which your bike is :)

I'm being pedantic for a reason - with 50kmh max speed in mind your bike has massively oversized battery even stated long ranges.

I'm not entirely sure how effective your recumbent position aero-wise will be given that massive battery box, but technically you should have considerably less than 1 kw at 50 kmh, giving your 200+ km of range on one 'battery block'... and ~2.5kw at 80 km, which sounds about right.

Of course, more battery is not less, but more weight and bulk is not helpful at all - including when it comes to handling and loads on the frame...

That's not a moped. Mopeds are limited to ~50kmh internationally. You can tell anything you want to police, but you did choose the right board to post in - which is e-moto/e-scooter, latter of which your bike is :)

I'm being pedantic for a reason - with 50kmh max speed in mind your bike has massively oversized battery even stated long ranges.

I'm not entirely sure how effective your recumbent position aero-wise will be given that massive battery box, but technically you should have considerably less than 1 kw at 50 kmh, giving your 200+ km of range on one 'battery block'... and ~2.5kw at 80 km, which sounds about right.

Of course, more battery is not less, but more weight and bulk is not helpful at all - including when it comes to handling and loads on the frame...
Hello, I have already established a relationship with the police, they don’t touch me and I don’t touch them either :).

In all respects, the power of my moped (up to 4 kW) is exactly a moped, yes, the speed limit is 50 km / h, but I don’t drive right in front of a police post at a speed of 90 km / h, and posts are rare.
They stopped several times, but everything was managed by granting the right to drive a car, in the rules so far it provides the right to drive a moped, this is called category "M".

On an ordinary moped with a large battery (10kWh) and the same motor, the battery capacity consumption in my mountainous area is 42-45Wh/km.

If the consumption on a recumbent moped is 35 watt hours / km, then it will be very good for me.
10kWh batteries on a regular moped gives me the opportunity to travel 270 km, but on 13 kWh batteries + lying down, I hope it will easily provide 300-350 km without charging the battery.
These are my modest desires :).

In this video, I'm riding my usual moped:

With heavy weight, mountaineous terrain and better aero you should aslo be able to use regen braking to great effect. You will not get *great* aero with position like this and a huge battery box increasing your frontal area by like 2x, but with adequate (controlable) regen you'll be able to greatly decrease 'wh spent climbing'...

Hi,I want to make a battery box NOT in the form of one and a large,and split into three pieces,they will be 110mm thick each,in order for it to have an aerodynamic shape,I put plastic on the front,for this made protrusions in the box (material aluminum heat-treated).

Attachments

• yemz6l.jpeg
    yemz6l.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hi,I want to make a battery box NOT in the form of one and a large,and split into three pieces,they will be 110mm thick each, in order for it to have an aerodynamic shape,I put plastic on the front,for this made protrusions in the box (material aluminum heat-treated).

Now that looks much better!
Should drastically decrease your drag - 3x less frontal area, 3x less drag coefficient of battery box or whereabouts, so likely 10x less for the drag of battery box :)

A guy from the next town has already rewound the second motor, which is designed for the lying moped.
The factory winding had a configuration of 4 coils, 30 cores and accordingly 11KV.
Now a very unusual winding is 36N32P(4 stars).
But it corresponds to three turns of the factory winding, i.e. its КV is higher.
Since I will have a sine controller Kelly on the recumbent moped, and it limits the maximum rpm by about 20%, I need to reach a speed of 80 km/h or more, and therefore the winding must meet these characteristics.

On the motor left to solder new Hall sensors, there are 6 pieces, three main and three spare.
At the same time checked the reliability of the insulation of the windings, at 2613V supply resistance 847Mohm, it's good, because such a thick wire is very difficult to wind without damaging the insulation.

Attachments

• DSC_1383.JPG
    DSC_1383.JPG
    8.2 MB · Views: 23
  • DSC_1374.JPG
    DSC_1374.JPG
    8.4 MB · Views: 23
  • DSC_1362.JPG
    DSC_1362.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 25
Hello.
I’m thinking of assembling the battery this winter and spring and starting a recumbent moped.
LG batteries have been sitting in the garage since 2020.
The housing for the batteries is made of heat-treated aluminum with a wall thickness of 3mm; I have so far made one that I am going to install under the seat and learn how to ride while lying down a little.
And only then will I attach the remaining two cases on the sides behind the butt.
The total thickness of the housings will be 110 mm, so they will not stick out much from the sides of the moped.

In the meantime, I’m having fun on a regular moped, its battery is also not small (10 kWh), the maximum distance I could travel on it without recharging was 240 km, but there was still about 50 kilometers of charge left.

Attachments

• 14dv9eh.jpeg
    14dv9eh.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 17ezoro.jpeg
    17ezoro.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 1ofo47l.jpeg
    1ofo47l.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20230926_095558.jpg
    IMG_20230926_095558.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20230926_130154.jpg
    IMG_20230926_130154.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_2023-09-26-13-03-00-623_com.jktech.bms.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-26-13-03-00-623_com.jktech.bms.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230926_130216.jpg
    IMG_20230926_130216.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230926_102428.jpg
    IMG_20230926_102428.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230926_095551.jpg
    IMG_20230926_095551.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I bought and installed brakes on a recumbent moped.

The steering wheel, which was welded from an aluminum pipe with a wall thickness of 3mm, probably won’t suit me, so I also bought heat-treated aluminum pipes with a wall thickness of 5mm.
The guy who welded the steering wheel, also a motorcyclist, said that the steering wheel is a very important element and can play an important role if it falls, so I thought about it and decided to redo it a little later:LOL:.

Attachments

• we96zi.jpeg
    we96zi.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 16i6ooo.jpeg
    16i6ooo.jpeg
    320.7 KB · Views: 23
Back