Reid's Stealth Cruiser: Float your eBOAT? Ideas, anyone? p22

Status
Not open for further replies.
vanilla ice said:
I suddenly crave orange tic tacs and candy canes..
:mrgreen:
Me too. Marty! the milk crate bike is perfect. Yessss~that is the way for me to go: it will look so
un-wantable, with room at the bottom for the brick, and loads of spare space for kilos of heroin
(must disguise the $$$ battery, ha ha I joke! No heroin here. Just a few pounds of pot. :wink:

MILK CRATE. Must find a fresh, new milk crate. Yellow would be boss-safety and so is that orange one above.

Seriously, it will make a store-run bike solution: milk, bread, Yoo-Hoo, etc.

Thanks again, Marty and Vanilla Ice.
V.I. and I must get together for some Karaoke someday. :wink:

A favorite song, Betty Boop, 1928

R.

:D
Ping will be sending me a battery very soon: 36V/20Ah!
----
Fenders: I have to face practicality: the bike will be cleaner, I will be cleaner, if I mount fenders.
Photos of the installation will be inserted into this posting form, as soon as I do the job.
I think now I will search for a clean (like new) plastic milk crate.
The crate (like that orange one above) will hold the battery very nicely, with lots of room to spare for bread,
milk, lost kittens and puppies, and :) kilos of heroin
(you know I joke), for those little errands we all like to run. :lol:
---
off topic? I think not! :p
Harold Lloyd quotes Ling Po, 1934

Reid Welch said:
and :) kilos of heroin
(you know I joke), for those little errands we all like to run. :lol:
---

::scratches head:: sees Reid is from Miami...Remembers watching Cocaine Cowboys and wonders if Reid IS really joking
about the Heroin :p LMAO.. I think the wooden battery 'triangle' would be a much nicer way to go to but
as you have bought the ping pack im guessing disassembling it to make it fit in a custom enclosure such as the one pictured few posts up would be
out of the question?

look forward to more updates mate best of luck ;)

For those who are new to this forum, to these Build a Bike threads: Aussie Jester, a.k.a KIM is one of our many public heroes here at E.S.

-----
Miami. Cocaine cowboy days. I witnessed that era. I have stories I could tell, off topic.
I bought this Shingleback Skink, seen in the ancient film below (Aussies all know their skinks);
bought that rare-here animal, in 1988, from a cocaine kingpin, Mario Tabraue. I kept the skink for 21 years. It was the perfect pet.
Then at last, I returned it to my friend, Mario. Full circle of life.
Despite what people have done in the past, they move on, or out, or UP.
Mario is OK in my book of life.

Here, another ancient Polavision, 1990, hardly discernable: our skink. It still lives. It lives with Mario Tabraue today.
Mario and I happen to be the same age. But how old is the skink? It was adult when I bought it in 1988. It speaks nothing,
does little, but eat and sleep, and yet...
The shirtless show off, 1990 (the skink and I).
----
About battery pack configurations: You may be sure that Ping (his first name, call him Ping) is reading this thread.
So is Justin reading this thread .
So are others in the ebike endless sphere, thinking, planning-out their own ideal ebikes!

Cheers to all. Remember Ling Po. Remember to fend-off mud, sand and water.

He who climbs to the top of Adversity gains a full view of peace inside
r.w.

Watch this form. Nothing here yet. Today and tomorrow
I will (if time permits) insert-to-come images and a video of the process of fitting (ugh) fenders
and a casual chat of this and that

Without fenders, the bike makes a mess of itself and the rider on wet roads.

Battery and gear stowage space: must go to the local CVS and beg to buy a nice, basket.
Their "milk crates are too large, of the giant-knock-down for storage type. Maybe a small red shopping basket
will do for now. I am sure they will contribute to this effort. The store manager will check with his district manager
and I'll probably be allowed to buy a red basket. Otherwise, there are various Wald baskets, innovative designs,
all in tough steel, some in a good looking mesh design

Also, this posting form will tell how to make your own wax-basedhttp://www.google.com/search?q=wax+...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a, dirt shedding, chain lube.
No need for that $10 per bottle stuff.

And too, how to remove chain guard attachment screws, which tend to be factory-glued in place with thread locker.
Heat is the secret for their easy-unscrewing; otherwise they won't budge unless you use an impact driver.

No worries; just wondering if the Freddie Fenders will fit adequately the extra-fat Bontrager tires.

----addendum, general info from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_city_bike#Fully-enclosed_chain_guard_.28chaincase.29
Swept-back handlebars

The handlebars, similar to the American North Road style handlebars, have a moderate rise and are swept back toward the body, enabling a fully upright posture similar to a person walking. This increases the rider's visibility in traffic, as well as improving his or her ability to observe traffic and approaching intersections or potential hazards. While not advisable, the bar's shape allows shopping bags, locks, and other items to be hung from the bars without the danger of slipping off.

Full fenders with mudguard flaps

The fenders are aluminum or plastic, sometimes with a taillight affixed to the bottom of the back fender.
The fairly low bottom of the back fender reduces road grime splashing up to a cyclist who is following behind.
Integrated fenders designed into the bike provide a clean, safe attachment, and match the bike frame.

Hub brakes or roller brakes

Hub brakes, drum brakes, or roller brakes rather than rim brakes are used on most European city bikes.
Hub brakes are heavier than rim brakes, but requires only yearly maintenance.

In wet weather, hub brakes provide more stopping power and reliability than rim brakes.
In dry weather, hub brakes provide less stopping power than rim brakes.
A hub gear bike is thus optimized for stopping in wet weather, sacrificing some dry-weather stopping power.

Reid Welch said:
X
Battery and gear stowage space: must go to the local CVS and beg to buy a nice, basket.
Their "milk crates are too large, of the giant-knock-down for storage type. Maybe a small red shopping basket
will do for now. I am sure they will contribute to this effort. The store manager will check with his district manager
and I'll probably be allowed to buy a red basket. Otherwise, there are various Wald baskets, innovative designs,
all in tough steel, some in a good looking mesh design
X
TBC, in this form.
Milk crates come from places that sell milk. Got some nice brown ones. Almost new, clean. 13" x 13" x 11" high. Measured on outside. Shipping to anywhere in USA for only $10. Will take pictures on request.

Note from our legal department: Our milk crates are NOT stolen. We are not selling them. $10 is for shipping only.

marty said:
...Milk crates come from places that sell milk. Got some nice brown ones. Almost new, clean. 13" x 13" x 11" high. Measured on outside. Shipping to anywhere in USA for only $10. Will take pictures on request.

Note from our legal department: Our milk crates are NOT stolen. We are not selling them. $10 is for shipping only.
You just made a "sale". Thank you, Marty. I will be in touch by telephone, to order, very soon.

Letter from Ping, reprinted with his express permission,
email addresses altered in order to foil spambots:

To: <ReidWelch@netscrape.com>

Subject: RE: Dear Mr. Ping....an order for a battery

Date: Mon 11/24/08 12:16 AM

Hi Reid,

Thanks for your email and ebay message.

Sorry for the late reply. I just twisted my waist when moving furniture at home last week and had to be in the bed for a few days. Now, I feel better and can stand and walk.

Yes, our 36v20ah pack will work well with your 450w hub motor.

Price of our 36v20ah pack is 470usd + 98usd shipping fee. We will offer 4% off discount in December for Christmas promotion (shipping cost is not discountable). But I can offer you the discount now. So, the final will be 451usd + 98usd. I will send PayPal invoice immediately.

I'm confident that our QC is good. So, please take it easy.

Your old car seems awesome. But the video with the poem and song seems even better. I like them.

You can call me Ping. Actually, Ping is my last name. In China, we call first name behind last name.

Best regards,

Ping

From: "Canada Post / Postes Canada" <donotreply@canadapost.postescanada.ca>

Reply-To: "Canada Post / Postes Canada" <donotreply@canadapost.postescanada.ca>

To: ReidWelch@netscrape.com

Subject: Ship Notification for Item / Avis d’expédition pour l’article :TRACKING xxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Tue 11/25/08 08:46 PM

NOTE: Please do not reply to this e-mail as Canada Post and the shipper will not receive your message.

You are receiving this email at the request of Renaissance Bicycle Company to provide you with updates on the progress of this shipment.

Tracking Number: xxxxxxxxxxxx
Order Number: D024635488

Shipment Status: Item accepted on November 25, 2008

Please go to canadapost.ca for more details.

SHIPMENT INFORMATION

Ship To:
Reid Welch
3901 Hardie Ave.
Miami FL 33133
USA

Service Type: Expedited USA
NB: Justin's Renaissance Bicycle Company
free shipping offer remains in effect only for these few remaining days of November.

tutorials for beginners like myself

what to do when a screw won't loosen?

discussed: the failure of the OEM kickstand mount; how to make a no-weld repair of that part.
How to finish the mounting of the plastic aftermarket rear fender. How to dye...white nylon...any color desired.

#3: a bit more technical.
bottom brackets... how to save bike frames from internal rusting... chain ring run-out corrections... odds and ends, six minutes

Some thoughts on Milk Crates.... Mine are made by Rehrig Pacific Company. Size looks to be 16-Quart Milk Crate.
milk1.jpg

Blue one looks like it got 3 sides? Mine have 4 sides.

There is some writing on them. WARNING: USE BY OTHER THAN REGISTERED OWNER PUNISHABLE BY LAW also says $2.00 DEPOSIT
Hopefully if I ship a crate to Reid, he will figure out who the registered owner is and return the crate for $2 deposit.

Reid - Look at Rehrig Pacific Company color chart http://www.rehrigpacific.com/pdfs/color_chart_bakery_bev.pdf
I like red, orange and yellow. Why don't you call them and tell them you are setting up a milk company [buy some cows] and ask if they will send you a sample milk crate?

More thoughts on Milk Crates.... Wife said "lets get a new house". I started to think? Tie milk crates together with wire ties, fill with stones and spray outside and inside with concrete. One of my many ideas that will probably never happen :?

More thought on the Milk Crate House. Outside could be vinyl siding or any other type of exterior siding held on with screws. Inside could be drywall. Could even use milk crates as forms for concrete foundation. Lots of room inside crates for insulation, electrical, plumbing, and HVAC.

Yes - milk crate furniture inside the milk crate house. Think I might be obsessed with milk crates? Milk crate forum?
http://redmilkcrate.com/forum.php

Marty thinks outside the box.
Marty thinks inside the box.
Marty build imaginations:
Yellow, orange, red and all
connotations:

I think of safety, to be seen.

I'll ask them for a sample,
Yellow. Too, because
It is better to be yellow
In public than brown
When visibility is
Going down.

:lol:

AussieJester said:
(snip) how do you do the text on the screen?

Cheers

Kim
It's a new YT feature: you can add "annotations" to your own videos, post-production,
at any time. It's pretty cool! It lets me correct my mistakes with entirely new misinformation :lol:

clickable thumbnails (not in order}

Gadwin Print Screen(freeware) images,
hosted by Photobucket (all so easy to use, intuitive to learn)

Hope this helped, Kim...now, if I could only learn to weld....and draw freehand...
and do even half of the good you do for us here.

Cheers,
Vegemiteyreid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChpV2yp10fM&fmt=18 :twisted:

Understand, this is a new concept ebike in this sense:
NO cables, no grip levers, bike only looks like -junk-,
but can ride, with its 15PSI front balloon tire, right over curbs and potholes
and never break, bend, pinch-flat or bump the rider hard.

Letter from Ping!
email addys altered to foil spambots
To: <ReidWelch@netscrape.com>
Subject: RE: Dear Ping: "advertisement" for your product in this video
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 20:37:06 +0800

Hi Reid,

Many thanks for your video clip of advertisement and help, although I cannot see it now.
Recently, our Internet connection to US sites became improper. We had to wait long time to access a web site.
That's also why I cannot reply your email yesterday. I cannot open endless-sphere and youtube now, either.

We have 36v20ah packs in stock. There're two options for dimensions, 160x140x230mm or 160x150x200mm.
Please let me know which one you prefer and then we will ship it on Monday.

Best regards,

Ping
(I replied: either pack is fine, whichever one will bring me the most luck!)

Letter from Justin's firm!
(email addys and tracking number altered)

To: ReidWelch@netscrape.com

Subject: Re: IDEA!!!! (att: Justin)

Date: Fri 11/28/08 03:08 PM

Hi Reid, well your kit was shipped on the 25th but unfortunately we didn't have time to take photos. Your kit is on the way though and if you didn't already receive the tracking info, the tracking number is CX254949CA.

- Alison

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 7:58 AM, Reid Welch <ReidWelch@netscrape.com> wrote:

Justin, take some pictures, full rez, don't crop (I'll do that), showing the opened kit
and then as the box is sealed and ready to go out, etc. Give me some personal shop pictures
that I may crop and size them for my documentary thread.

This will raise the excitement level for the readers; it will make them feel like they are in for the ride,
and you too!

If you like the Idea---just do it.

R.

CVS Pharmacy gave me just today, a little red shopping basket for free;
should be perfect for stowage of the Ping battery plus a chain lock, and room for chewing gum and two kilos of....

heroin :wink:

Today too: Coral Way Bicycle Shop gave me some small metric screws.
And Alberto there, the Silent Wizard of Can Do,
he taught me how to open the bottom bracket: that %(#*@ nut is -left hand thread-. No wonder that stufu here
could not budge the BB nut. I gave Alberto an antique bicycle wrench, ca. 1880; un regalo.

Will next open and clean the bottom bracket and its bearings, and explain in words or video
how I am going to make the electrical cable-routings INVISIBLE, nearly-so.

More fun to come, I promise. Cheers to Kim, and all at E. S., and everywhere.

Reid

Reid Welch said:
Understand, this is a new concept ebike in this sense:
NO cables, no grip levers, bike only looks like -junk-,
but can ride, with its 15PSI front balloon tire, right over curbs and potholes
and never break, bend, pinch-flat or bump the rider hard.

I got up a lil early this morning and was having another read through your worklog Reid, i noticed
you hadn't got to taking a replacement pic for the one with reversed forks soooo...I took
the liberty of "snapping" one for you LoL..

Reid_photochop.jpg

I made a few "adjustments" hope you don't mind, thought you might do some night riding so
added a light and some more comfy shoes along with "de-special busing" your helmet by adding a peak,
and gave you a mini make over while i was at it LoL...

Kim

PERFECT. Thank you for the total lack of dignity. I always appreciate (I really do) being made to look like a jester too!
Excellent photoshopping fun!

I go wildly off-topic because....I like to have fun!
I want a parasol hat. Imagine....
....I am a kid of the year 1905....here is what "I" wrote back then, aged "fifteen"
....vision of a utopian future, a poem, sort of:

Reliquary of a Juvenile Futurist of 1905

Were I a man of 2005,
I'd wear an amazing parasol hat,
with propellers fluming air from that.

With this I would fly in 2005
to visit the Emir of New Calcutta—
my landing: his palace—not in a mud gutter.

And in that year of 2005
I would re-greet Great Grandfather,
who is still alive; for he still is me—

—when loss is all erased forever.

Death is now naught; so we of the future
move on and up and over all pasts
in our parasol hats—our aerial rafts.

------

SLIDE SHOW of a twenty minute project:
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg28/Reid_Welch/a%20see%20me%20lamp/?albumview=slideshow
(an adjunct "see me" headlight). My real "headlight" at the moment, is a small, hand-held Cree LED on a pair of 123 (sp?) cells: good light throw for high speeds, and good for blinding drunk drivers to veer the other way :mrgreen:

----
Now, let's next get into that bottom bracket and have a look-see?
I may do that tonight and take video and still shots tomorrow;
will put that junk into this form.

---
off topic: At the bike shop today I handled one of those 4K $ Trek all-carbon-fiber lycra crotch killers (cyclists are known to become impotent). Philosophy: That beautiful bike weights like a feather. It will break someday without the slightest prior warning. It has 120PSI super skinny aero tires. It has no suspension other than the (usually) 200 pound rider's fat ass.
In contrast, next to it, my $200, relatively heavy, blimp-tired Sun Kruiser...soon to be a $1400 bike all told. It will eat curbs for lunch and roll over swale and loose gravel and will overtake packs of "lycras" on their Saturday morning runs:
ding ding! Make way for Mr. Twiddles to pass, please? Ha ha! Geekology has never been so much fun.
Actually, this anti-hip bike is the exact opposite of the super-geek bikes of the rich and dedicated "every gram counts" OCD bikers out there.

g'day. KIM: photoshop a shingleback into my portrait, someday, please?
I had one as a pet for 21 years. Lovely, tame creature; it's living now with it's original keeper, the cocaine guy who cut up his wife with a power saw. Back to the skink: he "watched" television with us, propped against a pillow, curled like a letter "C", seeming to enjoy the show.
He also liked very much to lay on one's bare shoulder, sticky to the skin, though, like an old time phone receiver, soaking up the warmth.
Very mellow creatures, those shinglebacks, when tamed. This one, though, is NOT tame:

10dd8f81.jpg

----
Next up: old school Bottom Brackets and why I term them as "Rome" (all the 'roads', pathways for water, lead to the bottom bracket and its bearings).

Done...scroll up and look at original pic :p

They are as common as heads here in Australia we call them bobtails or blue tongues down here...I actually had one crawl into my workshop two days ago, i pick the ticks out of their ears with tweezers and set them back in the bush...Ubfortunately the most common place they are seen is "flattened" on the roads in summer, they like the warm bitumen being reptiles (cold blooded) poor thingz they are so harmless...

Kim

Perhaps refresh browser? there's a lizzard on your shoulder and one on the erm...ground ... propeller on the helmet you say...how about Reid and his shingleback showing the Lycras how its done?

reid_lycra_brigade.jpg

:)

Kim

AussieJester said:
Perhaps refresh browser? there's a lizard on your shoulder and one on the erm...ground ... propeller on the helmet you say...
THAT'S it. I had not refreshed the page, you DEVIL.
Perfect! Beanie hat propeller next, eh? :wink:
I hope so! And you can weld metals too? I never got past the flash-burned retina stage, myself.
Sold the small mig welder and called it a lesson, g'day!! :)

That is exactly what I'll be doing, sans "skinkie".

When I was young, like 28, I rode a Trek and wore lycra and...it was fun then.
Eventually I got tired of the shocks and the standing on pedals in anticipation of potholes,
the punctures, the feedback of every slight road irregularity. The real stopper of the thousand dollar bike then:
I soon enough got a pain in the cervical--the neck-a "wry neck", it's called. Riding the trek in that stance became impossible;
it injured my neck. I took up bodybuilding instead and parked and forgot about lycra biking.

The cruiser way, for our level roads and lanes, makes much more sense. No neck-down fake "aero" anything.
150 or so sustained muscular watts be damned: I can output that much (when in shape again) for sustained periods,
plus, have 450W more on tap. I intend to auto less and bike more. And when the wind blows against me: more throttle.
Or when the weather turns to rain: speed on home, and have a dry back, not splattered with mud and water.

And the fully upright stance: yellow shirt in daylight, and white shirt at night (I ride mostly at night, less traffic), means that
this rider is VISIBLE and less likely to be shoved off the road by our Immoral Majority of giant, Cadillac Escalade drivers,
all preoccupied with their cell phones in one hand and part of the steering wheel in the other. Miami has the worst, rudest,
sloppiest drivers in the USA. SUVs nearly outnumber regular autos. Small cars, such as you have in AU, are a tiny minority here in the fattassed US of A. I hope (except for the economic devastation that would result), for five dollar per gallon gasoline).
I do not like big cars carrying soccer moms and cell phones.
Miami, in general, is not a bike-friendly city.
Coconut Grove, where I live, IS, otoh, bike-easy, lanes and quiet, curving, wooded streets, perfect for 15 and 20 mph treks.
And on the weekends: early out, are The Lycras. WE will make much fun, camcorder on helmet, passing them by...
I will make and share comical videos.

Thank you, Kim, thank you for your artistic vision and skill and general good way of living life so very well as you do.
You ought to be President or PM. The skinks, at least, will all tick your name on the polling ballots. :mrgreen:

It is 8:30AM here in Miami and I've had a good night's sleep. Fun is fun (above) but, this is a documentary and educational thread aimed primarily at bicycle beginners.

We have here a bicycle made in China: the country that has made more bicycles than all other countries put together.
The "Sun Kruiser" (importer's labeled brand) is basic, old-school, though much better made than the Currie Mongoose, with which I entered ready-to-roll ebiking 2.5 years ago. It worked, it was mod-able (see my early posts of that era?)

In contrast, Sun Kruiser is a bike-only. It will make a perfect, superior, replacement for the crooked, heavy, now-binned Currie.
The Sun Kruiser retains classic, steel frame construction and it employs easy-to-service, century-old bearing-types.

New bikes, top-end bikes of today, offer "cartridge", "sealed" bearings.

Q: Which type of bearing is "better", and why?

Whilst I prepare to open and clean the new bike's bottom bracket, please read and study this page?
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/sealed-bearings.html

---

Soon I will apply still images and video thoughts about how I am going to clean and "seal" and make my cheap bike's bearings to rival in durability and action, those sealed cartridge bearings of the multi-thousand dollar bikes.

I put all this writing-stuff, funny diversions too, into this one thread so that it can always be found, all in context to itself;
yet, the technical stuff will remain applicable to any bike whatsoever.

cheers,
R.

---
A battery and a motor are on the way. THEN the real fun will begin.

Video explanation of these images to come later, and so will captions.

Good old USN blanket from 1972 never wears out; is softer than sitting on bricks!
P1070860.jpg

All the wrong wrenches for the right job. Those cone wrenches are not for breaking loose thick nuts.
Crescent wrenches are third rate at best.
P1070861.jpg

Left pedal, left hand thread: use a strong wrench to break it loose, then spin it off with fingers or a cone wrench, as you like.
P1070862.jpg

P1070863.jpg

Left hand threaded lock nut, fixed (anti-spin) tabbed washer, adjustable cone. Trial and error in their clamping-adjustment.
P1070864.jpg

Gray grease: wear products, mostly from the soft steel bearing cage (the balls rub against its edges, especially when new).
P1070865.jpg

Fissures in a ball: as it was made. Will cause some rolling noise. We only hope for truly round balls, all identical in diameter
P1070866.jpg

I got this tiny ultrasonic tank in 1971. It's still handy for micro-scrubbing small parts. See the dirt floating away?
P1070869.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back