Reid's Stealth Cruiser: Float your eBOAT? Ideas, anyone? p22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Reid,

build is gong well my freind :)
i haven't seen bearings like that since i took my bmx crank out in 1985 :) is yours a one piece crank too???
on the upside you can at least inspect and regrease your crank bearings - i'm no expert (as you've probably guessed) but the sealed crtridge type are just that,sealed.
i guess they are far less prone to dirt and water penetration??? better? i guess for that reason alone?

BTW kim loved the photochops :lol:

Cheers,

D

You got your pedals off with a cone wrench? Man, I use vice grips for that. I'd pretzel cone wrenches trying that stunt.

Nice thing about OPC is you can pickup new bearings for like fitty cents... Gotta love the cheap inline stuff, I replaced the press in cups, bearings, crank, everything on my 1968 OPC BB for twenty bucks. And I bet they last another fourty years, they can keep the fancy sealed stuff!

Hello back, VIP;

No sir, I -broke loose- the pedals with a Crescent wrench
and just used the light-duty cone wrench to spin 'em off.
The still pictures up above had not yet been captioned when you made your reply;
my fault, that.

The video to come will explain all the pictures above, and more.
Must weigh the forged crank and ring assembly: it is heavy!

Sealed bearings, cartridge bearings "best"? It might be open for debate; again,
folks, please read what bike guru, Jobst Brandt, had to say on the topic?
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/sealed-bearings.html

These old-type bearings can be made to survive immersion in water and be clean-able and serviceable forever,
by home mechanics---just like in the days of the Model T (one of which I owned and found 100% reliable).

"Sealed" (rubber lipped) bearings are grand, tend to be much higher precision, but are not actually sealed,
as you may find out if you go soak a bike in a pond once in a while...and there's no way to eject the water that will get in.
They are throw-away units. Old, even cheaply made bearings like this bike has: offer ease of service, plus:
they spin quite freely enough, and are super-rugged, etc.

Each type offers advantages, however, I tend to side with the old, proven, engineered stuff.
Any bearing is better off if it can be, on occasion, re-greased.
Bike bearings get an awful lot of dirt and guff and water....

Uploads at our DSL speed are slow. And I am lonnnng winded. :lol:

Videos will come later today!

4ec8a8f8.jpg

deecanio said:
...is yours a one piece crank too???
Yeah, it sure is, and it's mighty weighty:
19e00ab8.jpg

one point three kilos
on the upside you can at least inspect and regrease your crank bearings
And that's a big plus for my book.
Am going to SEAL the bottom bracket from water intrusion on a later day
(the video to come will show how), and fit a Zerk fitting so I can inject fresh grease
and thereby eject dirt and water and grit.

BTW kim, loved the photochops :lol:
He's da best!

Thanks for your thoughts, Deecanio. About to grease the cleaned bearings right now (it's 2:45PM EST here in my Miami)
More pitchurs to come, greeeeasy. :wink:

7a3322aa.jpg

ready for the grease...

#4: Old-School bottom bracket take-down

#5: Reassembly of the one-piece-crank bottom bracket

#6: The AUTOMATIC KICKSTAND & also: how to lower the rear rack; silent video
Wherein we see, first:
how to lower the rear rack in order to gain more seat-spring travel clearance,
and then a quick showing of the wonderful, aftermarket "U" type of automatic kickstand,
only roughly mounted at this time of writing. However, the stand is secure now against ever working loose or shifting.
The white colored plate will be cosmetically end-trimmed and painted silver soon.

---

Still shots made late last night and early this morning:

Roughing it in: 3/16 mild steel, temporarily painted flat white for ease of marking:
d07359c0.jpg

The reinforcing plate's outboard ends will next be shaped to to mach the bike tubing
(the ends cut short, then bevel-edged on the top side, and then painted silver).
e89d28f1.jpg

it works!

---

Life is rather neat
when we make our dreams
come to life

:)

Hi Stig, thanks! I'm using a Panasonic TZ5 for the still shots, then Picasa (freeware from google) for cropping and minor exposure adjustments, and Photobucket for the free hosting of still images. The pictures are uploaded to PB full resolution. Then PB shrinks them to a reasonable size (set for 640x480 in this case) You can also opt for much larger pictures. PB is very handy and free, so I like it! Cheers, R.

Let's go into the coaster brake bearings next? I want to learn how they work, and clean 'em even though new, and maybe install a zerk fitting to that hub while I'm at it (depends on whether I feel confident to totally take down the coaster brake).
Coaster brakes are filled with grease, says the Sheldon Brown website.

Bike will be all tuned and "perfect" by when the Ping Battery and Ezee wheel kits arrive. Then the fun will start!
How to hide the wiring best? How much of the wiring can I hide away in the frame tubing?
Aim: to make this cruiser bike as plain-bike looking as practical.
And then "sell" the ebike idea to passers-by: "You can buy a Schwinn, or you can "make" an even better bike yourself,
at home, no prior experience needed--and get good exercise too, if you want." Fear no headwinds, nor "wtf is that contraption" questions.
Thanks, Stig!

r.

Pure tech and opinion for this posting

I look at what's available on Youtube about bike ball bearing care and replacement.
I find...not much is there at present.

We tend to think that ball bearings are the defacto standard for lowest friction and longest life.
On bikes, this is certainly true. But, briefly, what about the other kind of bearing? The plain bearing.

Well, plain bearings are hardly "plain" if well made. Many or most small motors employ plain bearings.
When well fitted (close tolerance), and run on a super-thin oil film at a speed which permits "hydrodynamic lubrication",
there is NO wear of plain bearings, and less running friction, often, than from ball bearings. Ball bearings have a long but finite running life. They are hard steel against hard steel and this is good and proper, but, if loaded, as heavily as, say,
in auto wheel bearing applications, the ball bearing eventually must begin to to fail by "flecking" off of its surfaces: a metal fatigue sort of process. Even more rarely these days, a ball (very hard and tough steel) may split, then cause fast and certain death for the remaining balls and for the races. Plain bearings, otoh, are not so great at all for bikes, but do serve
better than ball bearings for other applications, such as for high speed fan motors and IC engine connecting rod and main bearings, etc.
They make no "rrr, rrrrr' noise, ever.

Here is a picture of an attic ventilation motor. It is in my garage attic. I put it there in 1983.
P1070905.jpg

This a plain bearing, GE brand, 1//4HP motor. It has been running (barring power outages), 24/7 for fully 25 years now.
I look up at it every day because it's visible to me from my shop-located computer chair.
Fan sound. No bearing knocks or whines. I've oiled the motor (it has cups to accept a few drops of oil),
two times in 25 years; the last oiling job was about seven years ago.
The plain bearing offers many types of high speed machinery a no-metal-contact running platform:
the parts float on oil, "hydrodynamic lubrication", and so, do not wear, period. Such bearings far outperform
"antifriction" ball or roller bearings..

But for bikes? Ball or roller bearings are the thing they use, and for good reason:
at low speeds, in ball bearings, no "hydrodynamic" lift-and-separate is possible.

The pure fluid friction of the high-speed hydrodynamic, plain bearing, is, instead, in the low speed ball or roller bearing, supplanted by the small rolling friction (and wear) of hard steel balls or rollers or needles, against, usually, hard, precision-ground steel.

Here is a proud fellow showing off his super high tech ceramic ball bearing bottom bracket's freedom of action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B2eUt9D1TE
("we" are not overly impressed).
Q: does his silky-smooth, rubber-lip-sealed cartridge bearing really spin so very freely?

Q: the still photos of my old school bike's bottom bracket ball bearings (1900 style bearings)
show: very poor quality balls (some are surface-fissured), incredibly bad quality balls, those,
working in a fabricated, soft steel cage, against which they lightly rub; and these caged bearings
roll in cups of mere pressed steel (not precision ground cups) bearing a thin layer of (hard) chrome plating.
Point: the cups cannot be truly round. The balls, too, are suspect. Yet, I was able to obtain a running fit
about as free in action as the $$$ "ceramic bearing" guy's cartridge bearing. Imagine that if my bike's bearings
were of higher quality, yet of the identical construction? They'd not only equal, but exceed the "cartridge bearing"'s
freedom of action, PLUS, be serviceable for an indefinitely long life.

Perhaps today I will get into the rear coaster brake bearings. I "feel" factory grit in them. OR the balls and races are not truly high precision-manufacture. They will be "loose" balls in this case, not caged.
A perfect bearing, with perfect balls, runs without shake, without binding, and without hardly a hint of "rolling ball" sound.

The devil, a small devil, is in the details. "Sealed" bearings, with few exceptions, are not truly sealed; they are only "shielded".

So, if our bike bearings, especially of the old fashioned, obsolescent cup and cone type, cannot be truly sealed,
then what is the secret by which to keep them clean(er) and happier over the long and dusty, wet road?
Ans: regular servicing: clean and re-grease seasonally. Or, perhaps, inject fresh grease on occasion,
just a bit of new grease, at whatever intervals you care for: the bearing will eject the excess, older grease, and need wiping-off.

And so, we might, if we so-design (grease fitting) push an ever-fresh supply of grease through the bearings, ejecting dirty (water and gritted) grease out, to the outside world, ready for a swipe-off of your wiping rag.
No lip seals, no lip seal "drag", however slight. Fear no stream fjording then; when you get home:
pump into the bottom bracket, some fresh grease.

There are advantages to new bearing constructions. These bearings are not the be-all-end-all, however;
for example, if you like to ride your bike across streams....a "sealed" cartridge bearing will not endure that exercise for very many seasons.

Point: boat trailer bearings. How are they lubricated and sealed? What sort of grease do they employ?
How does their greasing system save the boat trailer bearing (the trailer that goes into salt water to launch the boat).
Salt water. Sand. Silt. How to keep old tech ball bearings running clean and like-new for the life of the bike......

tbc.

more to come in this form: Let's clean and service the coaster brake (for my first time) and see what is in there?

And while I am at it, I will be lowering the steel Wald brand rack by about one inch, to gain more seat-bottom clearance
and to lower the center of gravity of the bike, just a bit, for the benefit of the 16 pound, 36V, 20Ah,PING LIFEPO4 battery , which is winging in from Shanghai to Miami next week.

TylerDurden said:
Excellent Reiding. You seem to be as up-to-snuff as you were prior to hiatus, or even more so.
Hi and thank you, Tyler. I am sharp as ever since my self-discovered "cure" from the SLE condition (page one intro).
But I don't know so much, not about the latest in pack manufacture;
you guys trump my knowledge in so many departments: welding, pack design, bike styles and road-experience, etc.

But, I am, innately, a mechanic; it's in my blood! We don't get our "gifts" by learning alone.
We get our gifts by luck of the genetic "cards".
My granddad, a famed MD, dead long before my birth, invented this during his hobby time.
He never made a dime from it because the time was not yet ripe for the world's first, portable, window-mounted air conditioner.
It is apparent to me that his primary aim was to make an "air scrubber", for bringing truly clean, filtered air into the home.
But, too, it has provision for cooling and heating coils, and it is also an evaporative or "swamp" cooler.
He even provided for the adjustable septum, by which to close off the excess width of a sash-type window.
All the essential details of today's billions of window and wall mounted air conditioners were invented by PB Welch.

What do I invent? I hope to only be a communicator---to show folks how to look at familiar things in new ways.
What's new in mechanics? Very little, really. So, we happily work with old tech bike mechanics,
and we eagerly pursue the new holy grails of better and more reliable batteries; batteries: the great, new frontier for inventors.
Those "inventors" are the engineers and also the makers, such as PING, humans who innovate with the new-chemistry cells: reliable, compact, safe product, and also also deal direct with the consumer, in a timely way, and with full command of our difficult English while doing it.
Communication in good Chinese or good English is essential. Ping has done all of this good-will and product design, by dint
of character and energy and good will.
We hope that Li Ping prospers long and very well.
_____

Next year will bring better batteries yet.
The outlook for the world economy may be cloudy, but, for new batteries,
it's all sunny weather ahead. 8)

Interesting you should compare to boat trailer bearings because basic bike grease like phil woods is essentially marine grease, except thinner.

Hi Mathurin,

Yes, a thin (#1 consistency) grease is wanted to reduce grease/roller friction.
Greases, themselves, so many kinds there are, make a fascinating study. I could write a book, but, instead,
I began reading textbooks about lubrication theory decades ago: one of my pet hobbies: reading technical literature.
No "Gone with the Wind" for me. :lol: ...except when I write :lol:

Google Book Search brings up a wealth of old, but still good, books: free for download, pro bono, for us all.
Here are some great books about lubrication, how lubrication works, two basic ways: boundary and hydrodynamic; oils, greases; all then, and now, of water-insoluble, metallic "soap" bases compounded with oil: oil is the actual lubricant of any grease.
The old books explain by practical examples that it is the -oil- in a grease that does the lubrication.
In fact, if an oil can be retained in a bearing, that's the better lubricant. Remember oil drip-feed cups, anyone?

Modern greases are much the same as of old, but better for their having various anti-aging and anti-galling compounds worked-in to their recipes.

And as for synthetic greases and oils?
Thank Nazi-era Germany for the invention of those. They can be very good...the greases,
not the Nazis.

Video! No voice-over!
#6: Disassembly of the coaster brake hub

or here: a slide show presentation (it takes some time to load up).

Good news for me: I =know now= that I can indeed fit a zerk fitting to the rear hub. Need only a 1/4" 28tpi tap...
This means: no more need to ever disassemble the rear coaster brake for seasonal maintenance.
:D

Cheers to Mathurin! If you need it, I have just the thing for recovering-you; that cliff-fall and broken bones :(
The Walking-Cane-Chair.
It sure helps me when I just gotta sit down;
I can't stand in lines for long, not even for O'back Obama (my seriously bad back).

@Mathurin

Curse your Blasted Signature! :lol:

TPA said:
@Mathurin

Curse your Blasted Signature! :lol:
Play Me NOW

VIDEO #7: of the joys of learning by doing... :evil:

Owwww
.... This blasted hub! It's not only chrome plated, but deeply case hardened steel.
A center punch to mark the drilling place for the zerk fitting: not even a dent comes from the sharp, hard pointed, spring-triggered center punch:
P1080030.jpg

So, grind and grind with carbide grit or diamond dust coated Dremel bits:
P1080032.jpg

An hour of "fun" to get through the totally hardened steel:
P1080035.jpg

Now chuck up a zerk fitting ,and cut it short, and make it a tap-fit (with JB Weld epoxy) to the hole:
P1080034.jpg

Here the parts are ready:
the epoxy has been thoroughly mixed and allowed to set up for twenty minutes
(it is a very slow setting brand). A drift-punch of aluminum tubing and a tapping hammer:
P1080038.jpg

the burr slipped and skittered, oops, those reminder-marks: don't mess up like me:
P1080039.jpg

P1080040.jpg

Now, to speed-cure the epoxy in a couple of hours instead of 12 or more hours:
a 40W halogen desk lamp is warming the hub 150F:
P1080041.jpg

TBC: Reassembly of the hub, explaining how it works.
It is remarkably well made. Caged balls are not the best ball bearings (the cages rub)
but are used for manufacturing convenience---my old Currie bike had loose balls in both hubs.

Pardon the mysteriously poor quality of these various videos.
The original uploads are in crystal clear high definition.
Youtube at present does not handle these files well,
making them often look like they were taken with a camera phone.
If anyone here ever wants a proper copy of any of these videos,
just PM me for my address and mail to me a blank memory card
along with return postage. Thanks,
R.

Reid Welch said:
X
Owwww.... This blasted hub! It's not only chrome plated, but deeply case hardened steel.
A center punch to mark the drilling place for the zerk fitting: not even a dent comes from the sharp, hard pointed, spring-triggered center punch:
X
So, grind and grind with carbide grit or diamond dust coated Dremel bits:
X
An hour of "fun" to get through the totally hardened steel:
X

Reid,
Next time please remove spokes and rim from the hub and use a drill press to drill hole.

I don't see a check ball on the zerk fitting. You planning on driving under water or something? Usually you see that done for boat trailers.

Hi Marty,
But how would a guy "drill" through a hardened file, a round one? Because that's how hard this steel is.
It is as hard as a file! And I am not equipped with experience yet to tear down and then reassemble, true-running, a new wheel. So I did it the "easy way": easy for me, a rank beginner.

---
D-man, right: no check valve. It's not a high pressure job; just a place to inject grease.
Will put a plastic snap cap over the fitting--they used to sell those. Or I can make one from a tire valve cap filled with RTV rubber.

I have no prior experience with coaster hubs--have only read that at one time the "grease fitting" was merely an oil hole for a heavy oil to go into. IF the hole could've been threaded, then, even a small round head screw would've served as a "cap": no "3,000 PSI" grease gun really needed: there's no resistance to injecting a light grease there, because the unit has no lip seals, nothing at the end points whereby to resist grease injection at the middle.
I used to inject grease into "sealed' bearings with that special hypo needle tip they sell for grease gun use;
but here: there are no lip seals, only flanged, outboard "shields" (not true seals), and no way to grease through those points.
So I figured: put the lube into the middle of the hub and let the excess work out the outboard ends of the unit, wiping it off as it shows up.

I got the butchered Zerk in place, secure, without "special" tools or wheelwright skills, and the hole took only about one hour to grind, total, with one each of a burr-ball, then a cone-shape and then a cylindrical Dremel-type diamond dust bit.
It's done! Today: reinstall the cleaned internals and pack in the very soft lithium grease.
If I don't like the grease, which seems to be identical to the factory grease in consistency,
I'd just compound an even softer grease, for even less grease-drag on the retracted internal brake shoes.

One can imagine why the hub, itself, is so thick and of such totally (all the way though-hard) steel:
to resist wear and deformation from the incredibly high wedging-pressure-action of super-hard steel shoes
when back pedaling.

That this system of hard steel shoes against the I.D. of a hard drum works, oiled or greased, means that the shoe pressure must be enormous indeed. So the hub is thick and super hard to resist skidding-wear;
and an anti-galling grease like a lithium grease completes the package.

I hope that a vinyl snap cap over the zerk, just to stop ooze, home made or otherwise, stays put. I think it will.
Otherwise: I drill and tap the soft steel Zerk body for a 4/40 or 6/32 screw.
and "inject" grease directly from the tapered tip of a plastic syringe, then replace the little cover screw.

But, Marty, are there "drills" made for drilling through file-hard steel....other than the burrs I used?
Would a tungsten tipped bit, like for concrete, have done the job?
How long a time to unlace and then re-lace a wheel, true, for a rank beginner?

The grease input device is "in".
It should work..."we" will find out very soon what comes of the job.

Thanks for all corrections and ideas,
R.
-----
PS: a favorite writer/expert who advocates against "phil woods" type bearing systems
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/index.html

another page: comprehensive text about how to service (clean) a coaster brake, including how it works:
http://www.troubleshooters.com/bicycles/1speed/1speed_overhaul.htm

One little "plus" about the coaster brake: it is silent.
No click click clicking of the usual freewheel ratchets.....STEALTH

:wink:

Reid Welch said:
VIDEO #7: of the joys of learning by doing... :evil:

Gangster.

Good video quality btw. Wish everybody on youtube would figure out that nobody wants to look at a screen full of blurry blocks. I want to see some on-board of that quality.

-methods

A kind and undeserved compliment, methods, but thanks so much.
My eyesight nowadays is poor, so any close-up or extra detail in still photos, especially, is a help.

I highly recommend the Canon TZ5 for point and shoot still pictures: has a very wide angle lens, and can get right
in close, like to 140mm of the object. It sucks for video quality, though, so I got a Canon HV30 for that. BUT youtube:
they ruin the beautiful HD original files I try to upload.
---

Non-progress update. Remember, I'm a noob.
http://www.troubleshooters.com/bicycles ... erhaul.htm
Despite my care in taking pictures and -looking- at all the stuff,
I have cursed for three or four hours today, vainly trying to get the coaster brake guts together.
I feel humble. Humble and stupid. It just won't go. I'll sleep on it (the parts) and if I can't succeed tomorrow:
off to the LBC for Wizard Alberto's magic skills. He will say nothing bad about me; not aloud, anyway. :|

Thank you for the moral support, methods. Sayyyyy....maybe you have some method-ideas for making the $Y#(@) guts of the simple coaster slip back in sweetly? I do not use a hammer on this thing because....well....hammers are only for nails and stray cats, etc. :lol:

I rebuilt my wifes coaster brake. . .
It started out with a 30' stopping distance
After my handy work it only takes 100' to stop

:mrgreen:

I am a bike nOOb too.

-methods

Reid Welch said:
youtube: they ruin the beautiful HD original files I try to upload.
HD is nice, but impractical for sharing via YT. IIRC, there are optimal aspect/resolution/framerate/codec/compression for YT... I cannot recall what they are specifically (perhaps some other members can?). :oops:

methods said:
I rebuilt my wifes coaster brake. . .
It started out with a 30' stopping distance
After my handy work it only takes 100' to stop

:mrgreen:

I am a bike nOOb too.

-methods
I just woke up.
My eyes are bleedin',
and my brain:
it still is needin'
how to fit this !#$@ together.

At least, today, gives sunny weather!
YES! An input comes from Tyler Durden!
I am saved! D put a word in!
~~~~~
Of methods read
about the distance
'fore and after...stop.
Death wish for his wife?
(I'm winkin').
~~~~

I got my head its needed brain-rest.
And with this brake:
maybe a casket?

Though
it should be known
that if the worst comes
I choose cremation:
(I'll feed carnations);

pushin' flowers, 'stead of pedals.
Oh, hell,
my luck,
with hardened
metals.
~~~~
Disc brakes rare
ly kill the rider
or the wife
if
we aren't inside 'er
guts. Disassembly
sux.

:shock: :)

TylerDurden said:
Perhaps: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=104
coaster18.jpg
Thank you, Tyler, but....
I been there, seen dat!
I took pictures at disassembly.
I took pictures of the cleaned parts.
I read that other guy's web pages.
I give up.
I'm just gonna go to the LBC and hope Alberto is on duty.
He will get it together for me in a snap.

It's not complicated, that brake. I'm just doing something wrong.
I used to have the skills to rebuild =anything= mechanical,
from a watch to a Model T motor. Lately---out of practice, really bad eyesight...
...frustrated by a simple coaster brake. :oops:

Let us meditate:
Saint Alberto, :lol: I pray to thee: be in thy shoppe today :)

Am soon off to Coral Way Bicycle Shop.
And while the wheel's there, those aces can true the rim perfectly.

Then, in ten days or less, it will be eZee Rider time!

All is well...or so it seems when a guy is happy, although this writer is a coasting stufu.
:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back