• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Reverse PPM

WeeChumlee

1 kW
Hi guys
I have received a handgrip transmitter and set it up with a VESC Problem I have is that when I pull the trigger the VESC PPM goes down (brake) and of course visa versa.
No reverse on transmitter. Any way to reverse this on the VESC by any chance?
(Yes I know I can change motor direction by changing 2 phase wires, I mean in the VESC PPM setup)

Thanks

Only if the controller / ESC supports remapping throttle end points. Then you just calibrate things properly for full reverse and full forward.

-William

ps: you could remap this with a simple teensy arduino type prototype board.

Controller unfortunately does not have the remapping, was hoping that the VESC did and I have just missed it.
I can buy another controller for 50 Bucks so not worth using an arduino.
Pity though as the controller has a nice feel to it but as I have another two boards I would like then to all work in the same fashion.

Ah well, took the controller apart and reversed the wires on the trigger pot.
Can calibrate to 100% acceleration but only down to 25% brake. Will have to see how that is when it stops raining.
Holding thumbs for a dry day tomorrow. Can't wait to see the difference the VESC makes to this build.

WeeChumlee said:
Ah well, took the controller apart and reversed the wires on the trigger pot.
Can calibrate to 100% acceleration but only down to 25% brake. Will have to see how that is when it stops raining.
Holding thumbs for a dry day tomorrow. Can't wait to see the difference the VESC makes to this build.

Curious to see if this worked. I'm having the same problem!

So, reverse the wires in the controller. Then, reverse the phase wires on the motor. 100% forward and 75% brake from the controller versus 75% forward and 100% brake.

Hi Kaywerks
Yeah, works OK.
Did a bit of riding around and the only noticeable difference is the braking under low speed. Will not come to a complete stop but close enough not to matter.

You can calibrate the vesc by adjusting the min and max pulsewidth in the ppm menu. Next to the realtime display you will see a box showing your pulsewidth (ms). Take note of the value when the transmitter is at full brake and enter that as your minimum pulsewidth, do the same for throttle max. You will most likely need to fine tune these numbers to achieve a 50% neutral setting since it sounds like you do not have a throttle trim adjustment on your transmitter.

Unfortunately one cannot calibrate the range as such. If I set the VESC up as described it is impossible to get the rest point anywhere near 50%.

Back