RFID power switch - (techie stuff!)

Jeremy, this is awesome stuff, thanks allot for sharing.

I was thinking of a adapting this idea to something simpler (hopefully :), I could be wrong on that part).
Instead of running the "mains" power up to this circuit for switching it on/off I could just run my throttle signal through here, just killing of the throttle.

How much current can I pull from the 5v on the throttle line? I have a Lyen 12 fet controller and a cycle analyst connected. Could this power the RFID module, PICAXE chip and any switching needed to pull the throttle down? Just from the 5v in the throttle line?

Any tips on adapting this design to what I describe above?

Thanks for the info and schematics.

I'm quite interested in using this plus a sub-dermal RFID implant like the xNT:
http://dangerousthings.com/shop/xnt-ntag216-2x12mm-glass-tag/
[youtube]vD4Eegb2usA[/youtube]

That's the beginning of the end right there.

Arlo1 said:
That's the beginning of the end right there.
Even if someone had a gigantic obvious antenna, these ones wouldn't have an effective range of much more than a foot. The normal working range is a couple of cm.

I'm trying to locate a friendly doctor or vet to stick one in, then I'll order it. The xNT is good because you can also write 888bytes of data (100k write cycles, unlimited read), in addition to being NFC compliant. Having a bit of data storage inside your hand sounds like fun to me.

Is anyone assembling these to supply to others? I have enough to do without learning new tricks, and my brain is full, I might forget something important if I try to squeeze anything else in there!!
I could do with one for a 20s 40a system, anybody?

Simon.

Tench said:
Is anyone assembling these to supply to others? I have enough to do without learning new tricks, and my brain is full, I might forget something important if I try to squeeze anything else in there!!
I could do with one for a 20s 40a system, anybody?

Simon.

I teased around with this idea but I haven't gotten around to even making my own. I have the various parts and started to program the chips. But figuring it out for a high voltage system is next up. I'm thinking just before summer. If you still want one around then and I've figured it out, I will contact you via PM

So... I've ordered my xNT tag and my Doctor has happily agreed to stick it in my hand. Should be interesting.

Just need to find a reliable 13.56MHz reader to work with this circuit. They're NFC compliant too, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Jeremy Harris said:
One thing has bugged me with each of the ebikes I've built, the clunky way we have to turn them on and off. Up until now my daily use ebike has had a key switch, that turns the pre-charge and controller on, and a plug in power link that connects the main power. The turn on procedure is to turn the key switch on, wait a second or two for the capacitors to charge and then plug the link in. The process is reversed to turn the ebike off. It works well, with no big sparks or surges due to the capacitors charging too fast, but is clunky, all the same.
Jeremy

Although not the purpose of this thread, I would of addressed this a little differently. A single keyswitch as used in vehicles will switch your two circuits on sequentially. You still have your wait, but it is just a key.

Does this switching approach ramp up the power gradually so as to avoid the inrush ? I guess it must..

friendly1uk said:
Jeremy Harris said:
One thing has bugged me with each of the ebikes I've built, the clunky way we have to turn them on and off. Up until now my daily use ebike has had a key switch, that turns the pre-charge and controller on, and a plug in power link that connects the main power. The turn on procedure is to turn the key switch on, wait a second or two for the capacitors to charge and then plug the link in. The process is reversed to turn the ebike off. It works well, with no big sparks or surges due to the capacitors charging too fast, but is clunky, all the same.
Jeremy

Although not the purpose of this thread, I would of addressed this a little differently. A single keyswitch as used in vehicles will switch your two circuits on sequentially. You still have your wait, but it is just a key.

Does this switching approach ramp up the power gradually so as to avoid the inrush ? I guess it must..

There's your answer in pink^

Back