Road legal / Speed limit switch for on/off road riding?

mazasi

1 µW
Hello, I'm new here in ES as a user but have read quite some topics already, I have my first e-bike kit coming next week, cant wait :roll:

I've tried searching with google and this forums own search engine but couldn't manage to find if someone had made a working switch to control speed limit(25km/h)/wattage limit(250W). Only ones that I've found have been controlling the throttle with some kind of potentiometer and that means(?) loss of torque and as a side effect loss of speed and outgoing wattage to motor. I read my kit's controllers manual and found out that you can actually limit the motor from the parameters, which are not that easily accessable. That's why I'm wondering if anyone has made some kind of "quick parameter change switch" or anything. Can you somehow program the controller/LCD-unit to be like; "Press up and down button and it turns limiter on/off". It would be really nice feature for me since I'm planning on riding my bike on/offroad and that means I'd like to switch from limited to unlimited easily, not having to play with the LCD-parameters.

I ordered my kit from EV-Power and it was this one http://www.ev-power.eu/EVBike-elect...kit-EVBike-36-48V-500-750W-Rear-26.html?cur=1
Manual for LCD http://files.ev-power.eu/inc/_doc/attach/StoItem/4402/advance_user_LCDmanual_EN.pdf, at the end of this manual you can find changing of "hidden settings"

I'm sorry if one of these topics have been already made, I just couldn't find what I'm looking for.

-mazasi

Probably a bit obvious as you have read the instructions, is there a pair of wires on the controller connected together to form a loop, I think from memory when connected together the speed limit is active when not connected together the speed tops out at about 18 mph, ( I don't think the limiter affects current or acceleration ) that's certainly the case with my system. I have a switch on my handlebars but this just switches out the pedal sensor so slow manoeuvres can be carried out safely on the throttle.

Just use the 4 modes of throttle on your display.

If you need full power, but want to limit your speed, uhh, that's what a throttle does, adjust your speed.

I was about to say the same, my bike will do over 60mph, but when im riding it in town il just do 20mph so not to attract too much of the wrong attention. Same as in a car, the more throttle you give it, the faster it goes.

dogman dan said:
Just use the 4 modes of throttle on your display.

If you need full power, but want to limit your speed, uhh, that's what a throttle does, adjust your speed.

Yea I know, only concern is what to say to a cop when if one were interested enough to ask about my system, I'm not really that concerned about myself going over the speed limit or anything. Also didn't remember to mention, the throttle is not yet "legal" in Finland, but that's easily turned off with a switch if not from settings.

RustyKipper said:
Probably a bit obvious as you have read the instructions, is there a pair of wires on the controller connected together to form a loop, I think from memory when connected together the speed limit is active when not connected together the speed tops out at about 18 mph, ( I don't think the limiter affects current or acceleration ) that's certainly the case with my system. I have a switch on my handlebars but this just switches out the pedal sensor so slow manoeuvres can be carried out safely on the throttle.

I've read the instructions, probably way too fast since I can't remember that there were such cables, just checked it again and there were only these wires coming from the controller (Motor connector, battery, Pedal assistant and cable harness for the LCD (and the wires there are brake, accelerator and two brakes). Do you have this exact system or something similar?

Thanks for answers

Well, now we know you are in Finland.

I did assume Europe or Australia since you mentioned 250w, but if you want to be street legal to cops or judges, it's going to be PAS and 250w. period. The kit you showed us does have a throttle.

This is why you have a second bike for the hooligan rides, or off road rides if there is no limits on dirt.

But unless you are an obvious hooligan, or the cops in your area are so bored they give a damn, I'd just run your bike at low power when you need to, and when nobody is looking, hit the higher power switch and let er rip. If you ride nice in public view, why are the cops going to stop you?

Mazasi welcome to E.S. lot's of good info here. Are you a good hooligan or bad hooligan ? And is these how we will know you these Halloween ?

It's a complete waste of time inventing any type of power restrictor because there's no limit on how much power you can use in Europe. The limit is on thetype of motor. Your motor is illegal. It doesn't matter what power and speed you get from it.

You cannot use a throttle eiher.

The best you can do with it is make a professional looking 250w label for the motor and restrict the speed to 25km/h in the LCD, which is easy. Practice changing the speed setting until you can do it instinctively, so that you can change it at the first dign of trouble. Use the PAS so that you only get power when you're pedalling.

Why not just use the off switch?

Is it illeagal to pedal the bike without assistance?

How can the police prove you were using assistance if you were pulled over or in an accident?

My controller is a basic CON62 which has the speed limit wires, there is a picture of the connectors on the link below;

http://www.greenbikekit.com/motor-controller/250w-36v-electric-bicycle-hub-motor-controller.html

I didn't want an lcd due to lack of handlebar space and wanted the machine to look as stealthy as possible.

I live in Sheffield in the UK so have the very same EU restrictions, I do have a throttle as well as pas, I believe they are legal if they only power the bike up to a max speed of about 3 mph (I very much doubt if any do) but if I ever get pulled over that is what's what I will say. I do find pas alone to be quite dangerous as the power often comes on unexpectedly, like when you kick the pedal over before riding to get the chain on the large rear sprocket or negotiating a barrier when leaving or entering a cycle path, meaning the bike either tries to make a break for freedom or throws you off balance.

I have covered 3000 miles now since April commuting to work, every one can tell its assisted as I'm generally doing about 19mph, it really hacks of the fit trendy road bikers, they spot an old mountain bike behind them so take of and pedal hard for a mile or so then ease off look behind and see I'm still right behind them, the look on their face is priceless!

Do you have the speed ebike category in Finland? Go for that if you can.

The EU needs to wake up, the toothpaste is out of the tube. Regular bikes pedal at 30 kph easily if you are fit. Why can't an electric bike, without a special license.

Limit age perhaps, and enforce speeds. that's it. For street and bike lane use I mean. Trails are another argument.

My bike is 11.8KW and does over 60mph, but iv never been stopped in two years of having it built, as long as you dont drive like a fool on the road they just think you are a bike. Iv been past countless police cars and as long as you are driving like a bike on the road, they just see you as a bike.

Back