• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Samsung 25R/LG 18650HE2/ Sony VTC5 high power 18650 battery

Finally got the batteries out of the boxes. Here they are.

You can see how little this 72v 10 ah 6500W + capable pack looks compared to a normal cell phone!

Attachments

• TOSH0148.jpg
    TOSH0148.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 3,976
  • TOSH0150.jpg
    TOSH0150.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 3,976
  • TOSH0151.jpg
    TOSH0151.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 1,276
  • TOSH0153.jpg
    TOSH0153.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 3,976
  • TOSH0154.jpg
    TOSH0154.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 3,976
They are the Samsung 25R cells X 80 i recieved special pricing since i sort of advertised these cells I can tell you i got them for less than 6.50 usd a cell shipping was around 65.00 usd. All cells were tested for voltage out of the box and all cells measured exactly 3.64 volts.

I bought some Sony VTC4 from Fasttech.com recently. They also sell the Samsung 25R. (http://www.fasttech.com/products/1420/10002357/1686801-authentic-samsung-inr18650-25r-3-6v-2500mah)

With regards to prices:

My Sonys were quoted at $6.16 if you buy a pack of two, $5.66 if you buy 10 or more and I got a final price of $4.94 for 72 batteries. This is in USD and includes shipping.

Similarly the 25Rs are listed at $7.17 if you buy a pack of two and $6.61 if you buy 10 or more. I would expect that for a reasonable quantity they would come down to around $5.75 a piece. Again, that would include shipping.

Downside is that they don't do spot welding but I'm looking to build a no solder/weld pack anyway. shipping is not the fastest around, but that was not a problem for me.

I have no affiliation with them other than being a (satisfied) customer.

district9prawn said:
Check out this thread on a chinese forum.
http://www.shoudian.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=391456&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D1&page=1

They tested the samsung and LG cell at discharge currents up to 30A. The samsung cell has the edge in terms of capacity. Both get quite hot at 20A and are scorching at 30A. Couldn't see the curves though, even after I registered.

Ok I can see the graphs now. Had to wait 24h for my account to get approved or something.

i6PzWqw.jpg

NyYmFRg.jpg

UniBC4o.jpg

BKxBAWE.jpg

AVnPVvp.jpg

I bought them from supowerbattery111 on ebay, they also have their own website. Contact them directly to get a bulk pricing quote. They do the profesional tab welding and cell spacers for free which is a huge deal for us pack builders.

How many cells will they weld together/ship? This seems like a really good alternative to those of us that can do the job but don't want to solder hundreds of connections. I crave the Sonys. Still using my original fatpacks years later. Run like a charm.
otherDoc

just making a little schematic for the battery pack. I plan to build it tommorow if not it will have to wait for the weekend. :(

Attachments

• TOSH0155_compressed.jpg
    TOSH0155_compressed.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 3,774
yes, what you are seeing is a 72v 10ah pack. There are 4 25R 18650s paralleled to get 10 ah and they are put 20 in series to get 72 nominal voltage (84v) hot off the charger. The bullet connectors are put in place for convinience and future use so i can split the pack into two 36v 10ah packs. Hope to get supplies to get it finished tommorow.

@docnjoj they can ship the whole pack together i believe if you paid for the really expensive shipping. I think that they still might have to split up the packages due to watt hour shipping regulations.

@ Gab i will be using a bulk charger along with human cell monitoring to keep this pack nice and healthy with happy voltages. I don't want a bms for several reasons.

Gab i will be using a bulk charger along with human cell monitoring to keep this pack nice and healthy with happy voltages. I don't want a bms for several reasons.

Ok cool I like the idea with no BMS and be conservative on consumption and manual balance.

But do you need a special charger that has CC and then switches to CV ? and then cuts of completely ? i.e do you have special charger in mind to suit you?

@Gab I have what is called a cctv power supply that is both manually adjustable for current and voltage. You can set the voltage anywhere from around 77v-87v.

Ebikebert said:
i can discharge this pack up to 100 amps it was below $6.50 a cell.
Fully assembled? That's pretty cool.

I'm working on a pack for my Magnum, thats about $4/cell with the VTC4s. Less energy of course.

I just got a quote of 4.3usd each LG 18650HE2 cell for a 100pc order, confirmed that they are the 35amp version. Too good to be true or some kind of catch maybe? They seem like a legit company on alibaba, linked below. I also inquired about panasonic 3.4ah cells and they sent me a picture of them with a made in china sticker, from reviews I read they stated made in Japan. Lower quality maybe?

http://listman.en.alibaba.com/product/853047264-218773810/Panasonic_3400mAh_NCR18650B_3_7V_protected_rechargeable_li_ion_battery.html

B058F5BA9E58FD6C7BF8BE298F7EFB08.jpg

Like many have said on endless-sphere before me when you head over to alibaba you really do not know what you are dealing with. There are many accounts of forum members and others alike that have gotten burned and recieved factory defect cells, or just fake ones altogether. And if you want to use the HE2 battery to discharge at 35A per cell you just flip a swith called self destruct mode. In all honesty the HE2 and 25R get ridiculously hot at 20A discharge when you discharge them to 35A you are just torturing your cells and allowing cycle life to decrease substantially.

hey ebikebert

how are you going to solder the series cells? I mean, are you going to solder them across the 10 cells across with some wires? Can you show us? Or are you going to weld another strip of tabs along it?

So it looks like they shipped you a bunch of 1s4p packs and you're just putting it together in a block?

thanks

Back