Scooters with tension in the steering?

odigity

1 µW
Just got my first scooter - INMOTION Climber - and have been riding it everywhere. A few days ago, I hurt myself pretty bad on it. I was going full-speed and glanced behind me to check traffic, and my body unconsciously turned the steering to follow my head, which shot the scooter leftward and then down to the ground with me flying over it.

Anyway, it got me thinking - why is it so easy to turn the steering all the way in a split second? I almost never want that ability anyway. What if there was tension in the steering so that it provided increasing resistance the further you turned it, and also made it naturally return to center when not explicitly pushed out of position?

Are there any scooters made this way? Is there a term for that feature?

Just got my first scooter - INMOTION Climber - and have been riding it everywhere. A few days ago, I hurt myself pretty bad on it. I was going full-speed and glanced behind me to check traffic, and my body unconsciously turned the steering to follow my head, which shot the scooter leftward and then down to the ground with me flying over it.

Anyway, it got me thinking - why is it so easy to turn the steering all the way in a split second? I almost never want that ability anyway. What if there was tension in the steering so that it provided increasing resistance the further you turned it, and also made it naturally return to center when not explicitly pushed out of position?

Are there any scooters made this way? Is there a term for that feature?

The term is "steering damper", and most of them use a dashpot to apply graduated resistance rather than a spring to pull the front wheel to center. They're usually a bad idea.

Well-designed two wheelers use the free rotational movement of the steering assembly along with its geometric qualities to make the steering self-correcting, with a passive tendency to return to an upright and centered position after steering the vehicle back underneath your dynamic center of balance. Draggy or overtightened headset bearings, or steering dampers, interfere with a two wheeler's ability to make these little corrections and keep you upright. A bad headset makes a bike feel twitchy and unstable, and it requires more attention and intervention by the rider to stay upright.

All of this is relevant to well-designed two wheelers. It's separate from the demonstrated fact that those little donut wheel scooters are deathtraps that seriously hurt people all the time. They can't be made safe or stable, which makes it bitterly ironic that many people ride them because they've been scared off of bikes by helmet fearmongering. Emergency room trauma admissions skyrocketed in every city that was flooded with dockless rental scooters.

My ex-wife's 18 year old nephew has been in a coma for the last week because of a scooter crash. He's an accomplished dirtbiker, but the treachery of a stupid little bad idea on wheels has probably changed his future prospects permanently.

My advice is don't fall for it. Just because they're everywhere, doesn't make them okay. They suck and will always suck, and they will hurt you again if you keep making that gamble. If you must use a stand up scooter instead of a bicycle for whatever reason, make it one that has wheels at least 20 inches in diameter. It still won't be as safe or stable as a bicycle, but it's a massive improvement over shopping cart sized wheels.

P.S. -
Most centering springs for steering are not made to stabilize the steering, but to make an awkward cargo carrying bike stand up better than it would without one.

Last edited:
Since the wheels are so small, the correcting force generated by the steering geometry is small and not enough to self-straighten well. I remember my old Zappy was pretty tricky to steer. It was almost impossible to ride with one hand. I tightened the steering head to give it more friction and this helped quite a bit. The steering geometry needs more "trail" to increase the self-centering action.

This guy had an interesting solution:
scooter stability

If you added some kind of spring setup that tries to return the steering to center, I'm not sure that would help. It may make stability worse when cornering.

The term is "steering damper", and most of them use a dashpot to apply graduated resistance rather than a spring to pull the front wheel to center. They're usually a bad idea.

My advice is don't fall for it. Just because they're everywhere, doesn't make them okay. They suck and will always suck, and they will hurt you again if you keep making that gamble. If you must use a stand up scooter instead of a bicycle for whatever reason, make it one that has wheels at least 20 inches in diameter. It still won't be as safe or stable as a bicycle, but it's a massive improvement over shopping cart sized wheels.
Tough love. :)

Since the wheels are so small, the correcting force generated by the steering geometry is small and not enough to self-straighten well. I remember my old Zappy was pretty tricky to steer. It was almost impossible to ride with one hand. I tightened the steering head to give it more friction and this helped quite a bit. The steering geometry needs more "trail" to increase the self-centering action.

This guy had an interesting solution:
scooter stability

If you added some kind of spring setup that tries to return the steering to center, I'm not sure that would help. It may make stability worse when cornering.
Cool video. This one was recommended after, and was also interesting:
outube(dot)com/watch?v=uNT2L-G4RVg

But are any of these super-stability innovations actually present in any currently-sold scooters?

Also everyone should be wearing more protective gear when riding the small wheel death traps.

Crazy that any of them are allowed to go over 18 mph

Crazy that any of them are allowed to go over 18 mph

For the wheel size of the OP's, I'm not sure I'd even go that fast.

And from my experiences with the really tiny-wheeled ones, I'd keep them well below half of that. ;)

One hazelnut-sized rock in the path, one cup-sized hole, and SPLASH go your insides on the riding surfaces. :/

Motorcycle gloves with body armor and helmet should be ok at 18mph with some rolling. Slamming dead stop into a wall or being hit by a car I would agree less fun. I've fallen over at 0mph on a bike and it sucked.

I tend to forget that weather in other places allows wearing such gear at "low" speeds where airflow can't keep you cool in it...

Wear that kind of gear here in Phoenix right now in the sunny summer daytime (120F highs, pretty much 110F or more as long as sun is up) and your turkey-tester would probably pop before the ride was over. :lol:

FWIW: I added a n insulated canopy to CrazyBike2 and SB Cruiser despite the unaerodynamicness and power wastage just so I wouldn't bake in the sun; at the time I added them I pretty much only rode at night or near enough midday to always be under the canopy when in the sun. Even nowadays when I ride in morning or evening it greatly helps during the worst summer days. It doesn't protect me from a crash, but on CB2 where I did still wear a helmet I was at least shaded from direct sunlight, which helps immensely. The SBC trike is even more enclosing than CB2 so I am not worried enough to wear any gear anymore on it, so it is fairly comfortable even in the heat, as long as there is some breeze or I am moving. Sitting in traffic still sucks from the car and asphalt heat, but at least if the sun is where the canopy can shade me it's not enough to make me pass out waiting for a light to change. (need to fix and reinstall the misting system).

Back