Solar Trike build thread

Sound like it works well. When you get full sun you can use more assist.

If you have an ammeter on the battery, you can tell whether you're charging or discharging. Using the ammeter, you can see what speed gives you zero net battery current. This would be the same as running without the battery. If that also keeps track of amp-hours, you can tell how much of the capacity you've used or need to charge back.

fechter said:
Sound like it works well. When you get full sun you can use more assist.

If you have an ammeter on the battery, you can tell whether you're charging or discharging. Using the ammeter, you can see what speed gives you zero net battery current. This would be the same as running without the battery. If that also keeps track of amp-hours, you can tell how much of the capacity you've used or need to charge back.

Except that I don't have a circuit diagram for the battery and I am not charging and discharging through the same line. The charge line goes through some balancing circuitry, and whatever else is in there. As a result, the ammeter is on the solar IN lead befor it gets to the charge controller.

I am using one of these for my power meter:
71cz_RFUw_XTL_SX425.jpg

Another issue is that, if the bafang controller is to be believed, the watts consumed is constantly jumping around. This may be a problem unique to me, due to cerebral palsy (very mild and I am doing just fine), I have significant differences in my right-left leg strength (and length); as such, my cadence is not very smooth.

Back