• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Speed-Pedelec EU standards + Helmet Standards for 45km/h cap

QuietRush

100 W
Central Coast + Hunter regions, NSW and ACT (occas
I've been watching the EU standards discussion for a while now to see how the S-pedelec class was going to be regulated, looks increasingly like the move is towards Type and Component approval, based on this:
http://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulat...oval-for-speed-e-bikes-now-effective-10125384

Implications:
L1e-A is for “powered cycles” with a maximum speed of 25 km/h and maximum 1 kW of power.

L1e-B is for “mopeds” with maximum 45 km/h and 4 kW.
Requires moped grade helmet protection.
Type-approval is a whole different framework altogether. Following this legislation, the manufacturer has to have a type of his vehicle tested by a ‘technical service’. This is an organisation or a body accredited by the type-approval authority of a Member State as a testing laboratory, which is entitled to carry out the tests prescribed by the type-approval legislation in order to establish that the type complies with the law. What’s more, the type-approval does not only concern the vehicle as a whole but also many of its components. Consequently, if the manufacturer changes a component, which is regulated by type-approval by a different component, the approval of the original type is no longer valid and the manufacturer has to go through type-approval again. Also, retailers are not entitled to replace type-approved by non-type-approved or different components. They may only use identical type-approved components.

Whilst the new type-approval became definitely effective for e-bikes on 1 January 2016 there is a transition period. That will last up to 31 December 2016. During this year manufacturers and e-bike suppliers are allowed to choose between the 2002 system and the new system.

Will be regulated in much the same way as EU motorcycle regulations work.

Thoughts? I don't expect to see the S-Pedelec standard picked up here in Australia any time soon. Sigh.

Also, there is a call for interested stakeholders to participate in the Speed EBike Helmet design process, at http://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulat...-e-bike-helmet-call-for-stakeholders-10125340 I've thrown my hat into the ring as I've worked in brain injury rehab before, know how easily they occur but am also wanting to throw in a riders/racers perspective based on what we've been doing in the Hunter EV Festival race formats. I can see a racing class emerging from the new fast eBike standard, best to get in and shape what we might wear/ be mandated to wear. What would YOU wear on a 45km/h capable bike if you knew there was another coming the other way, giving you a 90km/h impact collision?

In Finland type approval is not required from 1kw bikes. Speed pedelecs are still totally unlegal.

Another brick falls and wall crumbles towards adoption of bettery-electric traction as it relates to the tiniest and most energy-efficient mode of urban motorized personal transportation. In a world desperate to shoehorn "new stuff" into existing (myopic) perspectives. But 45kmh? Yeah, would go for helmets... for folks not riding recumbent trikes, I mean. :)

But wahta about L1e-A catagory? Its max speed is 25Kmh like pedelec, so which helmets wear?
Basically the only difference between L1e-A and Pedelec is the throttle !
I'm not be understand why in many EU countries, license plates are askedm while in other are not asked up to 1000W (but <25kmh).

LeonardoJanus said:
But wahta about L1e-A catagory? Its max speed is 25Kmh like pedelec, so which helmets wear?
Basically the only difference between L1e-A and Pedelec is the throttle !
I'm not be understand why in many EU countries, license plates are askedm while in other are not asked up to 1000W (but <25kmh).

Difference between the Pedelec and L1e-A is power and throttle and insurance. Pedelec is 250W, L1e-A is 1kw.
Licence plates are not allowed. That"s the word. Just today police patrol gathered around me at the gas station to talk, just curious.
I said i would pay to have a licence plate, but regulation does not let me to have one. Licence plate is not allowed when insurance is compulsory. In Finland.
But anyway, EU laws are like recommendations. Each country is allowed to make it"s own exceptions.

AVERE Clarifies Effects of New Type Approval at Eurobike Conference
http://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulations/nieuws/2016/9/avere-clarifies-effects-of-new-type-approval-at-eurobike-conference-10127483

Back