Spokes For 27.5″ mtb wheel

Rsmk4turbo

1 mW
Hi guys, after 1300 miles using my ebike it decided to snap a spoke today. The rear wheel is 27.5″ mtb with a hub 1000w motor, please see link for a picture of the rear wheel ,http://wing-ebikes.co.uk/?page_id=4451
My question is does anybody know where i can get a replacement from in the UK? A small bit of the thread is still in the wheel but i think the spokes are 170mm long and unsure of gauge ,i have asked seller if they can supply but no answer as of yet.
Thanks in advance.

Any local bike shop should be able to make spokes for you.

If there aren't any, then there are websites like Grin Tech http://ebikes.ca (and others around the world) that can custom cut spokes for you.

To find out the length you need, you can measure one of the unbroken spokes on the same side of the wheel (if it's dished, it's important to be the same side), or you can measure the two parts of the broken one. You'll also need to know what gauge that spoke is, whcih the place you order from can show you how to do, or the place you take it in to if local can measure that.

FWIW, if spokes are breaking, it's usually because the spokes are not tensioned sufficiently, and flex at the wrong points. The fix for that is to retension the spokes to whatever is correct for that gauge spoke, when retruing the wheel after replacing the broken one. They may require retensioning again after riding it a short while. If they continue to need retensioning, then see below.

Or they *were* tensioned correctly, but the tension was so high that it cracked the rim around the nipple hole. The fix for that is either replace the spokes with ones thin enough for the replacement rim (if identical) that's required to fix the cracked hole, which will now tension correctly without damaging the rim, and make a stronger wheel, or to replace the rim with one capable of handling the tension required for the thicker spokes.

Sometimes it's because there is too much of an angle at the nipple entrance, and the spokes are bent right at the thread start, which then fractures along the thread line from stress. The fix for that is to angle the nipples with cupped washers inside the rim (and potentially drilling out the nipple holes in the rim a bit) so the nipples are in a straight line with the spokes.

Take the broken spoke to any bike shop and they should be able to get you a new one and some new nipples too unless you can salvage the one from the broken spoke. While you are there maybe pick up a few extra's in case you have a similar problem in the future. But as noted if you can make sure the wheel is properly tensioned then that should save future problems.

I am thinking that you know you will have to remove the tire and rim strip from the rim to get at the nipple in order to replace the spoke and make sure you thread it back into the wheel correctly imitating the other spokes.

Back