Spokes?

soldham

10 W
I am wanting to swap my original kmx rims for 16inch moped rims. I found some good 10g spokes I need to know what length I need can anyone help

10ga is too big, 14ga is more than big enough, and actually last longer, if you buy good ones especially.

AND, 14 ga spokes of the best quality can be sourced locally.

You'll need to use a spoke calculator and measure out the ERD of the rim to get the right spoke size.

Most moped rims are going to be drilled for 11 to 13 gauge. Most motors are drilled for 12 to 14 gauge. 10 gauge would be too big, and tightening them enough to get them properly seated would destroy the rim and motor flange. Not getting them tight enough to seat means they will fatigue and break faster than using super thin spokes.

14g is best for a bike wheel. you can probably go up to 12g with a moped rim if the holes are big enough, but the motor won't handle any bigger.

The best Ebike spoke calc is ebikes.ca/tools/spoke-cal

I used 13G spokes for my 20" e-power wheel build.
For spokes, this is my go-to guy I order from.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/36-Custom-length-13g-2-3mm-Silver-spokes-with-nipples-for-Electric-bicycles-/264359451688?oid=263804534171
He is great because he lets you order two different lengths (for when building a wheel that is dished to accomidate CST freewheel).
I use a wheel-building site mentioned already. Just enter dimensions of wheel, offset, and hub motor and it will do the rest.
You can source locally 14G or 13G, but you will pay more.
PS: Be sure you tell the eBay seller the right size nipples when you want when you order your spokes. I think he can do up to 5mm diameter....will that work for you 16" rim?
v/r,

P

This ebay seller is also excellent. He seems to be much like the fellow mentioned in the earlier post in that he has a ton of experience and has been building wheels for 20 years. Both have excellent feedback.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/yojimbos_garage?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
http://www.yojimbosgarage.com/blog/

You will pay more locally, but you will have quality spokes, Sapim or better, DT Swiss. Cheap spokes are Chinese crap that can’t take much tension before stripping in the nipple.

Holmes hobby is still selling Sapim SS spokes and Polyax nipples, but doesn’t cut them anymore. If you are not equipped to roll spokes, some local bike shop must have a spoke roller and quality spokes in stock. Once you find a local source for DT Swiss spokes, you can have them cut and rolled overnight in various grade with a variety of nipple length.

There are some quality spokes in China, but they are not cheap and it is hard to find a seller that you can trust to ship what you ordered.

MadRhino said:
You will pay more locally, but you will have quality spokes, Sapim or better, DT Swiss. Cheap spokes are Chinese crap that can’t take much tension before stripping in the nipple.

Not sure if you are referring to the ebay seller I referenced or not, but that guy is a wheel builder out of Chicago and he features Sapim and DT Swiss spokes and also sells Phill Wood, Soma and Wheelsmith. He cuts and rolls the threads for you on his Phil Woods spoke machine. Maybe he has some cheap spokes tucked in there somewhere, but I didn't see them.

wturber said:
MadRhino said:

Not sure if you are referring to the ebay seller I referenced or not, but that guy is a wheel builder out of Chicago and he features Sapim and DT Swiss spokes and also sells Phill Wood, Soma and Wheelsmith. He cuts and rolls the threads for you on his Phil Woods spoke machine. Maybe he has some cheap spokes tucked in there somewhere, but I didn't see them.

I was not referring to any seller. Just saying that buying Chinese spokes is not a good investment, even when they are a fraction of the cost. Most riders can't see the différence when they receive them in the mail. I suggest buying them black, for the difference between quality spokes and crap is obvious to anyone. A friend had purchased a motor, rim and spokes, and asked me to lace his wheel. When I opened the boxes, even he who has no experience, was questioning the quality when he saw that his alloy rim and SS spokes were obviously painted.

Back